“Not your average Mexican restaurant”

Maya Mexican Grill and Tequila Lounge
Ranked #7 of 168 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had a very nice lunch here with our grandchildren. We were quickly served with warm, delicious chips and salsa. When my husband requested salsa verde, he was brought not only that but two other sauces in case he found the green one too spicy. The chips went fast and were refilled quickly.

I had a taco salad without the taco shell. It was very tasty and the guacamole was outstanding. The boys enjoyed their fajitas though there were a few too many veggies for them. All the portions were plentiful and the flavors were excellent. Prices were reasonable.

All in all we had a delicious lunch with outstanding service.

1  Thank solomon5
There are newer reviews for Maya Mexican Grill and Tequila Lounge

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Well, after reading the Yelp reviews and seeing as how Maya made the top 10 of new restaurants opened in 2013 by Richmond magazine I guess my expectations were too high.

We arrived at 7:30 on a Friday evening so I was prepared for a bit of a wait. We were shown a booth and told "that will be your table right after we clean it off". Then they proceeded to sit us at a stand alone 4-top. Not sure why we were switched, however it was a symptom of the inconsistent service we received all night.

I made the mistake of ordering a margarita. I guess only one of the two bartenders made the mixed drinks while the other opened beer since it was at least a full 20 minutes before I received my drink. It was good - but I think Tia Pablo makes one just as yummy and that has never taken 20 minutes. We were pleased with the salsa and chips w/the salsa being nicely spiced. The chips went fast and we were offered a refill - that took another 20 minutes to arrive after our waitress finally remembered that she had offered it to us.

I had the crab stuffed chile relleno and was pleased with it. Other posters have remarked on the presentation and I have to agree. The plate was just beautiful. DH had the skirt steak that he proclaimed "just OK". Thing 2 had the Mango Molasses BBQ Ribs and was disappointed. The flavor hadn't penetrated any of the meat and the meat itself was dry. He did LOVE the plantains and jicama and apple slaw.

All in all, this was fine for dinner and if you live in the West End I can see going here. Since I do not, I don't find that this was worth at 25 minute drive and $90 check for three (3 beers, 1 margarita, sweet tea and 3 entrees).

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Went to this restaurant for the first time-definitely not your typical local Mexican restaurant.
The good and bad-beautiful restaurant, and friendly staff. Service was extremely slow-took at least 30 minutes for our entrees to come out. I ordered the chicken enchiladas, which ended up having sour cream all over them, and that was not indicated on the menu, and I don't like sour cream. My husband's steak tacos were delicious, however the waiter forgot to bring out his salad.
Will go back-just will question the ingredients of what I order first.

1  Thank luvstotravel1
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We've needed this: fresh, delicious "real" Mexican food in Richmond! Been there twice, have not been disappointed. No exagerration: the Nachos are the best we've ever had in our lives, and we are chip snobs. Fresh Guac, salsa, Carnitas, Chorizo and cheese on CRISPY homemade tortilla chips. Delicious dishes: seafood, poutry, beef and pork. Also, happy hour deals and delicious margaritas make this a reasonably priced outing.

Also, very impressive waitstaff - friendly, knowledgeable.

No more catfood or slop for this Richmond family - we're hooked!!!!

1  Thank VAtravelr
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Our visit to the restaurant was after a long day at work. We had excellent service with a waitress who was eager to make us comfortable and welcome. We highly recommend this place for its food and service.

1  Thank Maurizio B