“Our favorite Chinese spot”

Peter Chang's China Cafe
Ranked #4 of 168 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We've gone here many times, taking relatives and out of town guests for a treat that they usually can't get where they live. Everyone from college students to seniors has enjoyed their options. Peter Chang travels to his new location, sets up the restaurant, cooking and supervising until it gets established, then moves on to the next location. We've eaten in both the Richmond/Short Pump location and the Wmsbrg one which was opened just after the Richmond location. At both locations, the food was superior while Mr. Chang was there, then slipped a notch when he left. Since his cuisine is Szechuan from his native province, we must eat carefully, as we don't tolerate super spicy food. That said, everyone has enjoyed their meals if they keep that in mind. We've had seafood, chicken, beef, and vegetarian entrees, plus at least 5 of the appetizers. We often sample each others' dishes. One of our favorites is the beef Golden Mountain, a take off on Szechuan beef proper. Chewy strips of twice fried beef w/ julienned carrot strips plus occ. scallions w/ a mild but flavorful sauce. Shrimp and scallops are well prepared, and never overcooked. Their entree vegetarian fried rice is the nicest that we've ever experienced.The only disappointment are the vegetarian spring rolls, which are oily. The fish w/ cilantro rolls as well as duck rolls are flavorful. Our favorite appetizer is the Bubble pancake w/ yellow curry sauce. This is dramatic, and easily shared, so great to order for the table. The only other difficulty is that this is a very popular place. Make reservations well ahead, or you will join the folks spilling out onto the sidewalk. The décor is nice, but not elegant. This is a come as you are, families welcome spot. One other warning, if you have any lung difficulties: there is a 3 chili pepper dish that comes from the kitchen smoking copiously. This quickly fills much of the restaurant, and makes many cough & wheeze. Our whole group couldn't tolerate it when seated by the kitchen at the largest table. We now sit as far away as possible and it's fine.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

This is an easy review to write. Peter Chang's is simply the best Chinese restaurant my husband and I have ever visited. It's like no other. We have been told it's as authentic as we will ever enjoy without going to China.

Condiments are not placed on the tables - we are assuming the dishes are prepared / seasoned in a way that condiments are NOT necessary. If that is the reason, we will agree.

Each dish is delivered to the table when it is ready. Do not expect all dishes to be delivered the same time.

It's fun to watch the waitstaff bring meals to the tables. Some dishes are brought out in interesting pots, bowls, and plates.

NOTE: Respect the level of heat (note the peppers on the menu).

If you enjoy some heat, let me recommend one of our favorite appetizers...dry fried eggplant. We've introduced many of our friends to this appetizer & they were very impressed. I recommend the Brotherhood Riesling to enjoy with this appetizer - a nice compliment.

May I recommend a light, very flavorful dish...lettuce wraps. The chicken lettuce wraps are my favorite, while my husband enjoys the mushroom vegetable wraps (I believe that is what it's called).

All of the fried rice dishes are recommended.

I've enjoyed the mongolian beef and chicken dishes on many occasions.

The egg drop soup is better there than anyplace else I've visited.

Try the bubble pancakes.

I could go on and on...but to sum it up, every dish my husband and I have ever had has been perfect. We've eaten lunch and dinner there - whether it be the weekday or weekend.

NOTE: Don't turn away knowing the restaurant is located in a strip mall (near Walmart). If you are interested in trying very good Chinese dishes, I promise you will not be disappointed.

I would like to add the restaurant has decent-sized round tables with turntables to accommodate roughly ten people. My husband frequents with work associates & they enjoy sharing their dishes thanks to the turntable.

This restaurant is not as cheap as other Chinese restaurants; however, you get what you pay for. We have no problem spending a little more for the variety of dishes & the amazing, very tasteful meals.

This restaurant is good for couples, families, friends, business, or solo.

I hope my review was helpful. Enjoy!

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Great Chinese food at good prices! We went there on a Thursday eve and it was full, we had to wait to be seated. Highly recommended, a must if you like Chinese food!

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

I have never before had such amazing Chinese food as I had at Peter Changs. The beef cilantro hotpot was wonderful and so was the tea smoked duck. The service was great and the atmosphere was perfect. I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

very genuine szechuan flavor restaurant. We ate there twice in three days. It's said the chief chef/owner worked at Chinese embassy before.

Been to Peter Chang's China Cafe? Share your experiences!