“Amazing!”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The best Chinese food I have had in the US hands down! I had heard of it but never thought it ld be this good. Fantastic!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We also high expectations based on reviews and friend's comments. The four of us shared three appetizers Hot and Numbing Dried Beef, Bubble pancake and Dry-Fried Eggplant. The beef was very spicy and had many peppers included. The pancake and eggplant helped contain the spice. We were glad we had ordered beer. We had asked the waitress for help in deciding what to get. Service was wonderful. We then sampled four entrees - Whole Fish, Tea Smoked Duck, Dry-Fried Green Beans and Shredded Pork with Bamboo Shoots and shredded Tofu. The fish is cooked in a sweet sour sauce which is a bit much but everyone enjoyed it. The duck was wonderful and was surrounded by Fried Onion pieces, the greens beans were tasty and not overcooked. Least enjoyed was the port - there was not much pork but there was plenty of tofu. That dish was hardly touched, So none of these dishes were spicy. We all felt like we had eaten too much and too much friend foods. On a return trip I would try lighter dishes. Again the service was wonderful and there was a crowd. We were glad we had made reservations.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had very high expectations for our visit for all of the obvious foodie reasons, and the expectations were surpassed. This was an incredible treat. The combination of flavors and textures was over-the-top.

Unlike so many (most) Szechuan places, the entrees were made from fresh ingredients had very distinctive spices that really popped. The food is dry and served on plates, not from bowls with the formerly canned ingredients swimming in a gluey soup. Best of all, the dishes marked as hot, were actually hot, and could be even hotter by crushing some of the red chilies that were abundant in the dishes.

Our table tried six selections. The consensus favorite, a tough choice because they were all so good was the Shan City chicken. The runner-up was the twice cooked pork. The eggplant in garlic sauce was shared by all and was excellent.

The restaurant is a plain storefront in a typical suburban strip center. Service is prompt and focused, not too engaging.

As is indicated in other reviews, the spice levels and the use of red chilies is extensive. Most of the aromatics are easy to smell from outside the place, and can be intense inside, similar to some Korean restauants. We enjoyed the aromas and the sensation from the red chilies in the air, but it might not be best for guests with bland preferences.

If we lived anywhere with a 50 mile radius, I would be there once per week. If your idea of great Chinese food is PF Chang, and you can handle the spice, this is where you can take your game to the next level.

1  Thank DPB123
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Had been to this restaurant yesterday around 8:45 PM for dinner with a friend and was surprised to see it so busy for a weekday and at such a late hour!
The reason was evident when the food came in.
The food was good enough for me to come back for a second visit.
Got the steamed buns with Chicken for the apetizers which were amazing. I would advise people to try it for sure.
The Kung pao chicken is normally a safe bet for me when I go some new place and it turned out exceptionally well. I will definitely try something new the next time.
I am giving very good since I haven't tried even half of their menu and my rating are jsut based on the one time and the 2 dishes that I have tried.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

... So much better! Peter Chang China Cafe is excellent. The food is considered Sichuan (or Szechuan) style, named for the province of China it originates from. It is characterized by vibrant, spicy Chinese peppercorns and the use of "hot and numbing" sauces. Everything served here is very fresh, and the prices are very reasonable.

Some favorites from my 7+ visits include the pickled cabbage, crispy pork belly, chicken with peppers and onions, and mapo tofu. Be warned: things designated spicy by the pepper rating system ARE spicy, and often times the steam from cooking dishes can cause guests to cough. Not for the faint of heart, but so very highly recommended!

2  Thank Leah W