“My Brother's Suggestion” 5 of 5 bubbles

Peter Chang's China Cafe
Ranked #3 of 164 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manassas, Virginia
“My Brother's Suggestion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I titled this My Brother's Suggestion because he always thinks his picks are the best and most of the time he is right. But for Peter Chang, he was right on the money. My husband and I along with my brother and sister-in-law visited this establishment for dinner on a Saturday night. The wait was about 20 minutes, and boy was it worth it. We started out with two appetizers, one was the bang bang shrimp and the other was a scallion bubble pancake, shaped like a light airy sphere, both delis. I ordered the Bamboo Fish, husband ordered the seafood vegetable in clay pot, sister in law ordered the Kung Pao Shrimp and my brother ordered this dish not sure of the name, but it was smoking when it arrived and we all were coughing and choking and so was the rest of the restaurant, but that is what the dish was famous for. All being said the food was EXCELLENT and the service as well. I will give this one to my brother and definitely make another visit. Sorry no pics too busy eating.

• Visited August 2012

Glen Allen, Virginia
“The makings of a sitcom”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Delicious food. They run it like the Seinfeld's Soup Kitchen. You can't get a table until your whole group has arrived. But the food is an art form. So everyone is willing to wait their turn, to receive the chef's nectar. The "waiting room" scenes and conversations are ones that good writers could turn into Seinfeld episodes, or even a sitcom of its own? It is quite something,... Peter Chang's China Cafe, at Walmart Shopping Center. Go figure? Location, Location, Location? Bah! If he cooks it, they will come....

Visited May 2012
1 Thank loribagli
Toronto, Canada
“Yummy Yummy for My Tummy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Had the golden mountain beef and chicken, which tasted identical. The kids loved both, and there was not much leftover.

They also loved the puffy bread with the dip.

We were not too adventurous with the spicy dishes this time, but maybe will definitely try the egg plant dish next time.

Service was good, and it meet all expectations.

• Visited August 2012
Prince George, Virginia
“Bubble pancakes ROCK!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have been to Peter Chang's twice and loved the food both times! Seems to me if you order something from the more traditional fare the food is OK but order something more unusual and Wow! You are in for a culinary treat. My faves have been the eggplant, which was roasted and tasted divine, the bubble pancakes, which look like volleyballs and ease the heat for spicy dishes. The Jing Jiang duck was absolutely delicious - wonderful flavors! I wasn't as wild about a seafood dish that came in a pot - it was ok but I like some spice and this was bland. Be adventurous! Ask the wait staff questions - they are helpful and can steer you away from things that are too spicy. My recommendation would be to go with a group of foodies, sit at a circular table with the lazy Susan, and share tastes. You will enjoy!

Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I went for lunch on a Friday afternoon, and it was packed! The waitress was a little rushed, but did her best to make sure out large party had all we needed. I ordered the chicken and vegetable lunch special with egg drop soup. The soup was wonderful, and lacked the plain feel you sometimes get. The chicken and vegetables were...plain. I expected more spices and a more diverse mix of vegetables. Mine consisted mostly of celery rather than broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms. One of my friends ordered a "super spicy" dish, which came out so mild even I could eat it.
The decor is typical, and the tables are too close to one another. Overall I was not very impressed and likely will not be back.

Visited July 2012