“Very Good Hotel, Nice Staff, but a Little Hard to Find”

Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed here for a convention. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. The rooms were excellent, but the cleanup crew didn't really clean my room enough before I arrived (there was trash in both trash cans and food found in random corners). There were these underground tunnels in order to lead from building to building (there are three buildings, two with guest rooms), should you not want to walk outside in the sweltering heat (it was above 100 during my stay). The room rate was very cheap for what the hotel was. Even the phones in the rooms were cordless! I have never stayed in a hotel room with a cordless phone. That's kind of unusual, yet cool. Also, the decor was very updated. The only thing is that it can be kind of confusing to find the hotel from Virginia Center Parkway. The other thing is that their Wi-Fi is provided through a third party, and you cannot access Flash-enabled or HTML5-enabled websites (like YouTube) without paying $10.00 a day for Premium Internet Access. I didn't need to do that, so I went with the basic (free) Internet Access Plan. The Internet went out for one night because of a major storm. So keep in mind that if the power goes out and comes back on, you won't have cable or Internet in your room for awhile. The check-out process was also very easy (when you are ready to check out, you just leave your access cards behind in the room and call the front desk to let them know you are ready to leave. They also offer to help load your luggage, which I didn't need). Overall, my stay at the Wyndham Virginia Crossings Hotel and Conference Center was a good one, the beds were comfortable, the A/C wasn't very noisy in the rooms, the staff was top-notch, and the room rate was cheap for the excellent quality of the hotel. Highly recommended for anyone staying in Richmond looking for a good hotel but is on a budget.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are the same except for the types of beds, so it doesn't really matter what typ...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stay at the Virginia Crossings a lot and each time I am afraid it goes down a little in ratings. the staff remains superb and the rooms are comfortable. Please fix the infrastructure.
The food is excellent and the location is OK.

The infrastructure, however, needs to be fixed and the people at the front desk need to be better trained. As others who read my reviews know, I hate to pay for internet. To me, paying for decent internet is a sign that the chain is run by bean counters and not those who care for the customer experience. It is a nickel and dime activity. The TV have an awkward intro scheme that has the same music as permeates the rest of the resort. I would like to buy them another CD so they can at least have ONE more song they could play -- the constant same song in every space of the hotel is maddening.
I commented before about the gym -- it is adequate and that is about it. I also noticed that it was dirty and poorly kept. Please clean all the equipment and get at least one or two exercise balls in the room. It is equipped like a gym from the 90s and desperately needs: exercise balls, sit up bench, pull up bars, and kettle bells. And if they could PLEASE get more channels on the TV in the elliptical -- four channels that are hard to find reflects, again, the bean counter versus customer service mentality.
Finally, the conference rooms infrastructure is a nightmare. When the AC comes on, it makes a wooshing sound that detracts from conversation in the room. The AC is loud and intrusive, damaging the value of the room's ambience and serentiy for discussion.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Did a Priceline name your own price for this part of Richmond, and was surprised when this hotel was my winner for under $100. The rooms were a good size, the staff was pleasant. Enjoyed having a walk around the grounds. Would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I see you are a well traveled 'reviewer' making your comments all the more meaningful. Our rooms are spacious and soon they will be completely renovated - even though they are in very good condition. As you point out, it's a wonderful place to walk around - the courtyard, Crossings Pergola, Jefferson Gardens - and no other hotel in the Richmond area offers 20 beautifully landscaped acres and a golf course to boot. All at a great value.

The best compliment of all, however, is that you would return to our hotel. We sincerely hope that you do and thank you again for your business.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

This hotel is really great. The only complaint is parking can be a pain. The grounds are very nice. The pool and hot tub are open 24hrs which is extremely nice. The lobby is incredible. The rooms were above average as well. No complaints what so ever. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Casey b
RKNelson, General Manager at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Thanks for the great review and I'm happy we overcame the Hotwire issue for you. Many are surprised at the property when they arrive. Beautiful grounds, historical architecture. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed these features. For future reference, we are renovating all of our guest rooms (even though they are in good condition) starting the end of the year. We hope you come back to enjoy them.

Thanks again for your business and safe travels.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

my stay was wonderful:)
will visit with them again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
RKNelson, General Manager at Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Thank you for writing and I'm pleased we were your midway stop on your way back to Pennsylvania. A lot of our guests are surprised at the great value we offer here at Wyndham Virginia Crossings. Our location just off I95, I295 and I64 gets rave reviews as well. We like to say we're easy to get to ... but a world apart.

I noticed that based on your stay date you missed seeing our Liberty Golden Eagle on the top of Jefferson Hall. We took it down for repairs. Hopefully the next time you stay with us you'll get a chance to see our 2,500 pound Liberty Eagle gilded in 24k gold. I think you'll be impressed!

Thanks again for your business and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stopped in for the night on the way to Savannah from Pennsylvania. We had an excellent stay. The room was clean and comfy. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The grounds were beautiful. We did not use the restaurant, but did take a dip in the pool. Highly recommended for families, and the price is right.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I needed a place where I could (sadly) get work done. So I wanted quiet, efficiency, cleanliness. This hotel offered all of the above. Room was nice. Good temperature control capability and ceiling fan. Room service with economical and diverse menu. When I was ready to leave I discovered pool and hot tub with no other guests (memorial day Monday at check out time) so I enjoyed 2 hours poolside reading with entire place to myself. Idyllic and I also got much work done.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thanks for sharing your experience at Wyndham Virginia Crossings. Sorry to hear you had to spend so much time working rather than wandering the property, sitting out at The Crossings Pergola and watching the golfers parade through or spending more time at the pool.

Although we're a great place for business, we have noticed that since our renovation (restaurants, pool, gardens and putting green) more and more guests have commented that they wish they had more time to enjoy the property. I'm happy you were able to spend a few quiet moments by the pool.

We do appreciate you staying with us and look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Allen
#3 of 82 in Richmond
The Berkeley Hotel
The Berkeley Hotel
#7 of 82 in Richmond

Been to Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!