“Nice Place but "Cold" Reception”

Wyndham Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
New York City
“Nice Place but "Cold" Reception”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Like many Wyndham properties, this is a nice place and sprawling. When we drove through its main gate, we are impressed by its view while driving up to the building the houses the reservation office. My biggest dissatisfaction is with the staff who has checked us in. Perhaps it is because we have booked this place through Priceline for just 1 night, this staff seems cold and distant - I feel that we were not welcomed. Due to this impression, I decide against dining at the restaurant on the hotel property in case I receive similar treatment. So, I can't comment about the food quality there.

Our room is great. I have to walk from the building where my room is located to another building across that houses the gym. Since this is warm winter, I am fine. The gym is great for a hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
RKNelson, General Manager at Wyndham Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Thank you for writing and I do apologize for the reception. Our associaties are some of the 'warmest, most hospitable people' in the hospitality business. I will certainly discuss this with our staff and again, I apolgize.

I'm please you enjoyed your accomodations. By the way, for future reference, we have tunnels that connect the buildings and can take you directly to the fitness center and beautifully renovated pool area without traveling oustide. They're great when we have our occasional snow falls.

Thanks again for sharing your opinions with us. Hope to see you here again soon.

Safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 26, 2012

The price paid for the room was well worth it as the property is rated a four star. My two nephews (ages 6 and 10) were kept busy. The exercise room has to be the best I have used in a while in a hotel. The grounds are immaculate. However, like the other Wyndham property I stayed in, the bedding should be updated as the mattress is not the best.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
RKNelson, General Manager at Wyndham Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write. We appreciate your comments and especially appreciate the kind words concerning our grounds and fitness room. I travel a lot and am not usually impressed with exercise facilities. Ours is large and well equipped and I'm glad you enjoyed it. In reference to your bedding comment, most of our matresses are in great shape. However, we have decided to renovate all our guest rooms, including bedding, over the next 2 years. I think you'll enjoy your next stay even more!

Again, thank you for your business.

Safe Travels
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I were unable to take a honeymoon because of some unexpected medical bills which came about a few months before our wedding. We looked and looked for somewhere local where we could get away even for one night and we found it!! We had an amazing wedding night and now when we want to get away just the two of us we call our friends at the Wyndham and they treat us like family. We enjoyed their lounge the last time we stayed and closed the place with our waiter even sitting down with us towards the end of the evening to get to know us a little better. I felt like I was home but waited on like royalty. Every need is taken care of and they go out of their way to accomodate your needs. The breakfast buffet in the morning is to die for. I try to eat a light dinner to save up for my made to order omelette in the morning. The grounds are beautiful and we are making another visit for our one year anniversary in October, I am counting the days!!!

Room Tip: I don't think they have any rooms that are not good!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Lemoyne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed 1 night for business. Convenient location for traveling. The property is very large and sprawling. The room was clean and nicely kept Victorian style. Maybe a little dated but quiet.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
RKNelson, General Manager at Wyndham Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thanks for taking time to write us and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed Wyndham Virginia Crossings' convenient location and spacious accomodations. By the way, we will be redoing our rooms shortly, (just completed a comprehensive renovation of our public and conference center space) so we hope you pay us a return visit to check out the new look.

Once again, thank you for your business.

Staunton
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Quite an elegant property with old south charm. The rooms were very clean and everything in great shape. A great $ value. Nice large room. Quite a surprise on the plus side since it is a conference hotel and we were just staying one night. Situated on a golf course with basketball courts, swimming pool and hot tub. Great walking with grass along pathway.
TIPS: Ask for the courtyard side for a very quiet sleep.
TIPS: They are not within walking of entertainment and restaurants; they have 2 contained restaurants.
I would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Ask for the courtyard side for a very quiet sleep. I-95 noise on the outside of the building toward...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for visiting our hotel. As you point out, it's a very interesting property that oozes Southern charm - and a great value as well. We have just added some nice, new touches such as Jefferson Gardens and The Crossings Pergola & Putting Green. We are also located on a part of the Yellow Tavern Battlefield - not far from where General J.E.B. Stuart was wounded. In fact, his memorial is just outside our gated entrance.

Although we're a few miles from dining and shopping, The Tavern Restaurant has just been renovated and a new deck and firepit added. It's a great place to relax and unwind after a full day of exploring Richmond.

Thanks again for taking time to write and we hope to see you again soon.

Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Have used the Wyndham for several company meetings, most recently in December 2011. It offers a super location outside Richmond that is easy to access from many directions.
The layout features three buildings with very attractive grounds. Located beside the Virginia Crossings golf course.
Conference facilities are excellent. Rooms are well equipped and conference service is very attentive. As a bonus, the continuous refreshment center is the best stocked of any I have experienced. For business meetings, the open, country inn feel of the facility provides everyone a sense of really getting away from the office.
We also used the hotel as the center for our son's wedding a few years ago and everyone raved! Food and lounge facilities are very good for sit-down meals or banquets. The hotel rooms are well appointed and very comfortable for a great night's sleep.
Only negative is a minor one...the traffic noise from nearby I95 is sometimes noticeable.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the entrance courtyard are oriented away from I95 and are generally quieter.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Really enjoyed reading your review of our property. Thank you, in particular, for the comments concerning our meeting facilities (the food is excellent - and plentiful). As you know, we just completed a comprehensive renovation of our conference facilities, public space, grounds and restaurants. Our Phase II improvements will include all guest rooms. I was also excited to hear that we hosted your son's wedding. We are honored you chose Wyndham Virginia Crossings for this important event.

You are right in pointing out that you can sometimes hear a little traffic noise but the great news is we are in a very convenient location. Close to everything but a world apart.

We hope to see you again and thank you for all your business.

Bladenboro, North Carolina
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed at the Wyndham, it looked llike a plantation house, the grounds were beautiful. I thought I was underdressed for such a nice place. but noticed that everyone else looked pretty much as I did. It was kid friendly. The rooms were clean, staff was ver nice. It was clost to stores & restaurants.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for writing and sharing your experience at Wyndham Virginia Crossings. Your arrival description of a Southern style estate is the same feeling I get coming to work every day. Although there is a stately quality to the architecture - some say it looks like Colonial Williamsburg - we have 20 acres of landscaped grounds for casual relaxation. With our grounds and pool, basketball court and putting green there's also plenty for kids to do. In fact, we like to say that after an exciting day of exploring Richmond area, your vacation doesn't end when you return to the hotel!

Thanks again for spending time with us and we do hope to see you again in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Allen
#1 of 23 in Glen Allen
Omni Richmond Hotel
Omni Richmond Hotel
#11 of 81 in Richmond

Been to Wyndham Virginia Crossings Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!