“Friendly service, good location but dated”

Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Washington, DC
“Friendly service, good location but dated”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have stayed at the HGI several times. Every time I have been warmly greeted by the front desk (and they seem to remember who you are pretty quickly!). The staff here is really willing to help you out.

The hotel is located in a pretty good location. It is right off I-64 and I-295, right next to a number of restaurants, and a short drive from Short Pump (shopping and even more restaurants).

But all in all the place is a bit drab. Everything appears clean, but the carpets, furniture, etc are all clearly from decades past. It makes me think that it should be damp and musty (which it definitely is NOT). The elevators are extremely slow, and stairs should definitely be considered if you don't have luggage with you. The window heating/cooling units are a bit noisy, especially as they cycle on and off, and I could see this posing a problem for light to moderate sleepers. The TV service has been spotty, and the WiFi could definitely use a lot of help (VERY slow). For the price they charge, there are definitely better options if they are available.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
JBeard1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
I am very proud of the staff here at the Hilton Garden Inn. They genuinely care about their customers and it shows!

We take all feedback and listen and continually try to improve. This hotel has spent this past year to upgrade televisions, furniture, parking lot, tubs, curtains, and several other projects to improve our customer experience. We will continue to work towards providing the best care to our customers and will look at the area's you mention.

Thank you.

James Beard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Nothing impresses me more than a positive attitude, top notch critical thinking skills & the ability to provide over-the-top customer service. As a professional speaker & trainer teaching companies & organizations how to improve their engagement with people, Kat at the Hilton Garden Inn could quite simply take over my presentation.

From the moment I walked in, not only was I met with a smile & enthusiasm (American Airlines, take note), she made every touchpoint feel like it was an upgrade.

Kat went out of her way for every person walking in the door, & made you feel like you were entering her home. She let you know the best places to eat & had answers to any question you asked. While the rooms are great (hello...it's a hotel room)...what really makes the difference on this property is the ease & joy you experience from being greeted with a smile & people who actually want to make your experience pleasurable. THIS is the art of engagement & the difference in what makes the "service" industry what it is.

I'll be back...& you should check it out.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank jennkaye
JBeard1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
We're all very happy you enjoyed your stay with us.

Kat is one of our newest additions to our wonderful front desk crew and I agree with you that she does an amazing job of connecting with our guests.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I love Hilton Garden Inns and stay in them all over the country. They are very consistent and have terrific rates. I especially enjoyed my stay at this location, primarily because of the staff. They were so friendly and helpful. They were quick with restaurant recommendations and there are many restaurants are within walking distance outside the back door. They made sure my stay was good, remembered me while I was there and were helpful when I needed assistance in the business center. I really appreciated the room service staff. I called to order a cheese pizza and asked that they not skimp on the cheese. In fact, I asked for "tons of cheese". The guy who brought it to my room showed the pizza proudly and asked if he had provided enough cheese. It was the cheesiest pizza ever!. Not a bit of sauce or crust showing. Loved it!

This hotel is conveniently located near major highways and really good restaurants. As with all Hilton Garden Inn's, the bedding and the bed were fantastic. I slept like a baby. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank DanaD58
JBeard1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We do have a wonderful staff and enjoy taking care of our customers.

I will share this with our staff, especially the Restaurant crew.

virginia beach
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I made my hotel reservation bid through PriceLine and was lucky to receive the Hilton Garden Inn. When we arrived and went to the front desk to check in, we were told they didn't have our reservation. I pulled out a copy of my PriceLine confirmation only to realize I had booked the reservation for the following week (my mistake). I know Priceline's rules which means they won't make any changes to or cancel your reservation once it's been confirmed (mine had been confirmed). The very kind lady at the front desk honored our reservation with no problems at all. Our stay was a short one - just one night - but we would not hesitate to stay at this Hilton Garden Inn again. It's nice to find great customer service these days and if for no other reason, we highly recommend this hotel. It's almost imporant for to note that our room was spacious and clean, the bed was comfortable and I appreciated the free WiFi while hubby appreciated the coffee pot/coffee in the roomi. Thank you Hilton Garden Inn!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Novicecruiser1
JBeard1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
I'm so happy to hear that you had a great stay. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on our performance. Without the comments from our guests, we can't improve.
And I'll certainly share this feedback with our staff to let them know our guests appreciated great service. Thank you.
Gloucester, Virginia
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I stayed overnight at this location on February 6th 2011.. from the main entrance to my room -all Hilton Garden Inn experience...Clean, friendly staff, comforatble accomodation overall..Love HGI.....Would be nice if the breakfast was complimentary :)..

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank kenspunk
JBeard1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Thank you for your review! I'll pass the comments on to our staff. They are the rock stars who make this a great hotel everyday.

I'd also like to let you know we're installing new flat screen tv's in every guest room and should be complete with that task in the next couple of weeks.
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I should say of all the Hilton chains I stayed before this will get the best in front desk service . They are the southwest arilines of the hilton chain. Unbelievable front desk staff. Any time we approach them they were always helpful and go a step beyond in understanding customer. These days it is very rare to find that levels of service. There is another hilton in the area which is probably really nice and better than the garden Inn but I decided to stay here because of these people.
The break fast is really nice and also the lady takes care of people really nice.
The location is next to Capital Ale house a a popular beer place, Italian restaurant, Indian restaurant and a mexican restaurant. They are all walkable even in winter.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Trvlr_freq
JBeard1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review. I agree completely that our staff is our best asset and I am very proud of the crew that works at this hotel.

Central VA
Reviewed July 14, 2010

The place seemed very nice when we got there. The lobby was lovely, and the breakfast area very nice. The room looked nice too, except we started to realize that it was just not very comfortable.
The bed was uncomfortable (I am used to that at hotels) but also it was far too hot and seemed no way to make it cooler in the room. That combination led to no sleep for me.

The bathroom was especially odd. Large, almost cavernous, and yet the shower had no shelves of any sort in it. You go in for a shower with soap and shampoo, and either, hold them in one hand and wash and turn the water on and off with your other, or put the stuff on the floor. Also didn't see a place to hang my towel by the shower. Just really odd.

The breakfast next morning was very good and the service was top notch. I would recommend this hotel with some caveats I guess. There may be better choices nearby.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
JBeard1, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The feedback received from our guests and sites like Tripadvisor are invalueable towards our goal of exceeding expectations and providing the best value to our guests.

The information mentioned here will be reviewed by our staff towards improving our service and product.

Once again, thank you.
HYATT House Richmond-West
HYATT House Richmond-West
#5 of 81 in Richmond
Wingate by Wyndham Richmond Short Pump

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook? Share your experiences!