“Make plans to come to Tokyo Sushi soon!”

Tokyo Sushi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 164 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Description: Opened about a month ago
Richmond, VA
“Make plans to come to Tokyo Sushi soon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

I found this gem because a VCU student told me about it. I arrived at 12:15 on a Sunday, and it opens at noon so my son and I were the first ones there. I am not exactly a sushi lover, but I do love hibachi and they have great options! The portions were excellent, and as we began our luncheon journey with a crab and cheese appetizer, which came lightly fried and so light and sweet, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. There were 8 appetizers! My son and I were gobbling them down with our chopsticks. Then they brought a salad, which I ate quickly and miso soup (excellent). Before we were done, we also ordered chicken on a stick with teriyaki sauce and they were excellent. We packed some to take home, as we also could not finish the chicken or the crab and cheese bites before out entree came: both hibachi with fried rice, one being chicken and shrimp and the other just chicken. The portions, as I said, were excellent sized, and I ate all mine and my son, who was full by now, ate most of his chicken before we left. The vegetables were perfectly cooked so we did not have an issue with soggy food. The hibachi sauce added a special flavor. The server, from China, kept our glasses filled and was very helpful. We sadly did not have room for the desserts, but when I return I want to try the fried ice cream!
I will return for another chance to dine well. I would also like to mention that the entire restaurant and rest rooms were IMMACULATE. The sushi bar is fantastic! When we left, six tables were full. Please try this place!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank winniezpoo

Virginia
“The most fresh sushi and friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We live in Short Pump area with many sushi places, bit we did not find sushi place that we want to return in Short Pump. Tokyo Sushi is a bit far from us but we will definitely go back. Great selection, super fresh sushi, excellent atmosphere, very reasonable prices and very nice stuff.
Love it and will be back.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank romusik
Richmond, Virginia
“Local Gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants! The salads are always crisp and cold! The ginger dressing is an amazing recipe and I'm so addicted I always ask for extra to top my fried rice - strange, but fantastic! The sushi is always a delectable treat and portions extremely generous! Amy, always greets us with a smile, and makes certain to check on us regularly - she does everything she can to keep a customer happy. This is a quiet restaurant and the food is cooked in the back. It's perfect for lunch meetings with clients and friends/family.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank LH429
Glen Allen, Virginia
“A new experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We wandered in here when the sports bar and grill in the same strip mall was overcrowded and noisy. The oasis of calm enveloped us (until two tiny noisy kids came in, but that was not the owner's fault). We had never eaten at a Japanese restaurant before, prefering to stick to the tried and true. The hostess/waitress explained how the menu works and showed us pictures of some of the dishes. Both our entrees came with miso soup, now there's a new taste, and a small salad - crisp lettuce topped with finely julienned carrots. My hibachi shrimp and my husband's hibachi chicken were both delicious. The variety of fresh cooked vegetables was crisp, tender and mouth watering. The fried rice was fully cooked but not soggy. The plate was beautifully garnished with parsley sprigs, julienned carrots and a marascino cherry - a nice touch all too often missing even in high end restaurants these days. There was enough food we took half home for dinner the next night. All this was washed down with a large can of Japanese beer which we shared at the waitress's suggestion. We enjoyed an unexpectedly good meal in a (mostly) calm atmosphere right on our doorstep. We will return.

• Visited April 2013
Virginia
“Wonderful as usual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I came here for lunch with coworkers and was not disappointed. The food wa wonderful as was the service. This is my favorite sushi place

1 Thank ravenrapunzel