“Nothing to complaint...”

Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Stamford, Connecticut
“Nothing to complaint...”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Staff responded to all of my requests.... Gave me Early check in.... Locations good..close to major offices... a lot of eateries around...Internet works great... Decent gym.....good parking space.. Like I said..nothing tocomplaint

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Edward M, Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
We are so very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Aloft Richmond West. We're glad that you found value in many of the amenities that we offer. Thank you so much for your wonderful review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This hotel was such a disappointment. Our room was dirty. The shower was so clogged that the water spilled out onto the floor. The whole floor smelled like someone was burning steaks. Honestly, I can't say enough how disappointing it was. Will never go back

The rating system forced me to give it a rating. That's the only reason it got a one.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Edward M, Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review of your recent stay with us at the Aloft Richmond West. I cannot apologize enough for the number of atypical challenges you experienced during your stay. Please know that this is not the standard to which we conduct ourselves here at the Aloft Richmond West and I would like to encourage you to reach out to my office at your earliest convenience so that we can discuss this further. I would like to find out what room you were in and at what day you arrived so I can follow up with Engineering and Housekeeper to ensure nothing like this ever happens again.
Fort Belvoir, Virginia
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Aloft in early June for a business trip. The location in the West Broad Village is very nice, with shops and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel is within 10 minutes of the office, so the location was perfect.

Location, unfortunately, is the best thing going for it.

Given the website pictures, I expected a cool, hip hotel in the same vibe as W Hotels. Once I got there, it would seem the website pictures were taken as soon as the first coat of paint dried. The hotel now looks a little worse for wear.

There seems to be a general lack of attention to detail adds up to a dingy/old look to the entire place. For example:
* The clear plastic cables of the water fountain at the entrance were loose/broken so the water dribbled along the loose cables, it didn't glow as these fountains are designed to do
* The dark gray color scheme of the entire hotel made the place look smaller, darker, and maybe dirtier than it was.
* The blue decals on the floor of the elevators were not glued on straight and one of the in the back elevator to the rooms was scratched
* There were scuff marks all along the walks of the 3rd floor
* The fabric lighting screens in the 3rd floor hall way were falling off worn Velcro and held on place with black plastic ties in certain places
* The room shades were slightly damaged
* When I arrived, the toilet had not been flushed
* The front desk was messy and littered with papers and random appliances detracting from the sleek look the hotel is obviously going for.

It's sad that management has not gone the extra mile to take care of the details, because given the great location, they could become my go-to Richmond hotel. As it is, next time I will book a room at the Hilton Short Pump, my usual hotel when I'm in town.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Marcela L
Edward M, Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Aloft Richmond West. I'm sorry to hear that you are interested in staying at another hotel the next time you are in the Richmond Area. Thank you for bringing some of these items to my attention. When you stayed with us, it must have been a relatively abnormal time for the Front Desk as we typically try to keep this free and clear of clutter. Additionally, we have a company scheduled to come out and repair the lines of the fountain as the lines are unfortunately special order; however I am concerned about your note that it was not illuminated as there are three lights at the base of the fountain that I just reinserted and found them to be all on. I apologize for these maintenance concerns that you noted and I'm very disturbed to hear that the toilet had not been flushed in your room prior to your arrival and this is unacceptable. I would like to review this with Housekeeping and encourage you to reach out to my office at your earliest convince so I can learn when you stayed with us and what room you were in. Thank you again for trying us out and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, but I am sorry that we failed to exceed your expectations. We hope to hear from you again, soon.
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in early May. We typically stay closer into downtown Richmond but everything was booked for graduation weekend. So, we stayed at this location and we were disappointed. First, the location is not easy if you are trying to get to and from downtown -- the traffic at the exit is terrible and you should count on 15 minutes to get off the exit and into the hotel parking lot. Plus the amount of shops and condos in this area make it a complete cluster. The hotel itself is below what I have experienced at other aloft properties -- the service was poor -- there seemed to be only one front desk person, who also managed the lobby. It was 5pm on Saturday and we wanted to grab a glass of wine after our travels and was the told the bar was closed because the person needed to manage the front desk. Really? Only one person on a Saturday evening. The rooms were fine with the exception of no shampoo -- both wall dispensers had foaming body wash and when we requested shampoo we had to call 3 times to get finally delivered. Not good when we were in a hurry to get to our events. On future visits to Richmond, we will not stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Edward M, Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
I am so very sorry to hear about all of the challenges you experienced during your stay with us at the Aloft Richmond West. I am surprised to hear that both dispensers in your room had body wash, and that the service you received was poor. I'm also surprised to hear that on a Saturday night we did not have the bar opened by 5pm. To my knowledge, this has not happened recently, and while there may have been a reason for the Food and Beverage Supervisor to need to watch the desk for a Front Desk Agent running a request item to a guest room, the Food and Beverage Supervisor should have been present and working the bar from 5pm until midnight. I apologize for this atypical experience and would like it if you would be able to reach out to me in the near future so that I can find out what day you stayed with us as well as what room you were in so that I can identify any and all challenges and ensure they are corrected. Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention so that we can improve. It is our goal to exceed our guests' expectations and it is through feedback like this that we improve to achieve our goal. I apologize again for the service you received and hope that you will come stay with us again to see the service we strive to provide all our guests. I also look forward to speaking with you in the near future.
CT
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. We were visiting relatives in walking distance of this hotel so it was perfect. Staff were very friendly and helpful. They even gave us a discount rate due to our relatives living in the nearby condos. I was impressed she offered this when we didn't know about this perk. I loved that we could walk to restaurants and shops. The room had a nice glass shower and the bed was very comfortable. I liked the great natural sunlight from the large windows although I missed not having a dresser. I liked the feel of aloft, kind of trendy. The best part was the location and easy parking and walkability to the great restaurants in the area. The condos our relatives just moved into are gorgeous, I love all of the brick architecture in the neighborhood. Much different from the East Coast. I loved how friendly staff and strangers were, made me miss the friendliness of the Midwest where I grew up.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us at the Aloft Richmond West. We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff friendly and helpful and our rooms clean and comfortable. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This was my second stay at Aloft Richmond West. The first time (fall 2013) I had a bad night's sleep due to hearing people/TVs from nearby rooms. And in the morning, the wake-up call that I had scheduled never came. I overslept by nearly an hour, had to rush to get ready, and ended up late for a business conference. I never planned on staying here again...

But then another Richmond conference came up, and other nearby hotels were booked. So I decided to give Aloft one more try. This time was even worse than the first time.

First, the room's mini-fridge had a very loud hum/vibration. I didn't need it, so I just unplugged it to remove the distraction.

As mentioned by others, the walls here are PAPER THIN. Once again, I could hear noises from other rooms all night. None were loud enough to justify asking neighbors to keep it down. They were just basic people/TV sounds at reasonable levels, which shouldn't be audible through the walls (poor construction). The malfunctioning fridge saved the night - I plugged it back in for the background noise. Oddly, Aloft's bathrooms have no fans, and the room's HVAC is "designed to be whisper quiet." So I was glad to have a source of white noise to drown out the other sounds. (But really - why are there no bathroom fans?)

The room phones did not work - I couldn't make external calls or get through to the front desk. I called the front desk using my cell, but they said they were unable to fix the issue, and the employee who could have helped had left for the night and wouldn't be back until morning (this was ~9:30p). The main need for the phone was to schedule a wake-up call (and this time, I scheduled my own alarm, just in case). The woman I spoke to about the phone issue said she would make a note and have the morning front desk employee come knock on my door at the specified time. He did come, at 6:30 on the dot, which was great - the one positive keeping this review "poor" instead of "terrible." I appreciated the back-up wake-up call, but still can't understand why both room phones were broken and no one had noticed.

The worst part of the stay was in the morning. After my shower, I had just begun to dry my hair when the hair-dryer made a noise, sparked from the heating coil, and died. I called the front desk to explain the situation and ask for another hair dryer to be sent up. The man I spoke to said that he didn't have any and would need to get access to the engineer's room (?) to see if there were extras. The engineer was gone so the front-desk employee would have to find the keys, but he said he was the only one working and therefore couldn't. He asked if it would be ok if I had to wait half an hour or more. No, it would not - I had to finish getting ready and get to my conference - that delay would make me quite late. I ended up just checking out of the Aloft, hair still wet, hoping I could borrow a hair dryer from fellow travelers at the conference.

Of course, when I checked out 10 minutes after the phone conversation, there were THREE employees: the man I spoke with plus a woman, both working at the front desk; and a third employee sitting down nearby, chatting with them. Clearly it would have been possible to search for that hair dryer. (Also, the engineer's room? They couldn't just give me one from an unoccupied room? I think that they just didn't want to bother trying to help.) I would have loved to have brought it up and asked to speak to a manager, but I just didn't have time if I wanted to get to the conference and finish cleaning up before things started.

I plan to call the hotel to bring this up, but also wanted to make sure others were aware. There are plenty of nice hotels in the Short Pump area and other nearby areas -- I would not recommend the Aloft to anyone. Better to pick a slightly farther hotel (many nice ones in Innsbrook) than to deal with this. I wish I had gone that route myself.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Edward M, Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
I am so very sorry to hear about all of the challenges you experienced during your stays with us at the Aloft Richmond West. There is no excuse for anything to be broken in any room, and I'm shocked to hear these items were not addressed before you checked in. There is also no excuse for the service you received and it is certainly not the standards to which we strive for here at the Aloft and I'm very surprised to hear what has occurred. We at the Aloft Richmond West understand that you have many options when it comes to accommodations in Richmond, and knowing that we are a limited service property without the amenities of some of our full service competition, we know that it is our customer service that will bring our guests back again and again. The service you received was unacceptable, and I would like to ask that you reach out to my office at your earliest convenience so I can apologize personally, and find a way to make this right for you, as well as identify what day you had departed so that I can follow up with the staff accordingly. I hope that you will give us another chance to serve you in the future, so that you will see the service we strive to provide to all our guests. Thank you for bringing these concerns to my attention so that we can improve for the good of the hotel and all our guests.
tybee island
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

We ended up at Aloft after the hotel where we normally stay was booked due to multiple university graduations. We were there for the same reason. We were pleasantly surprised to find Aloft. Great staff we had a big group including kids and they could not have been nicer . Rooms were nice , the self serve food option was great. Many restaurants and a whole foods within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2014
Edward M, General Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Aloft Richmond West and for the wonderful review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is very reassuring to know that we succeeded in making your stay a pleasant one from our service through our rooms to our amenities and our location. We look forward to seeing you again very soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Allen
Hampton Inn Richmond-West
Hampton Inn Richmond-West
#1 of 23 in Glen Allen
Candlewood Suites Richmond West End Short Pump

Been to Aloft Richmond West? Share your experiences!