“Odd location - fun hotel”

Aloft Richmond West
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I really enjoy Aloft properties in general, and I wanted to take my girlfriend somewhere fun as part of a long weekend out in Virginia. We were only staying one night before moving on to Charlottesville and I thought that this would be a fun choice.

The property itself seems to be brand new and is in the middle of a new development of mixed use residential and commercial buildings. It's clear that construction is ongoing, but it seems to be a fun area. The bar at the hotel was clearly a draw for local residents, which is a welcome change after all of the airport-based Alofts I had stayed at previously.

There is quite a lot outside of the hotel - shops, restaurants, even a grocery store, but it is located in "Richmond West" which is about a 20 minute drive from downtown.

The rooms were standard Aloft style, cool, subdued and a little self-conscious. My girlfriend thought it was fun and I was happy to have chosen it. I'm not sure that I would pick this location again, but if you have a reason to be in the area, it's certainly worth considering. It was clean, had easy highway access and there was enough right outside the building that you won't starve! Probably best for a stop on a long road trip or if you have friends/relatives in the immediate area.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
gmaloft, General Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2011

Thank you for choosing Aloft. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and had fun in the West End. The area is one of the fastet growing sections of Richmond and, while there is already plenty to do in the neighborhood, I have no doubt that you will find a bevy of new sights and experiences should you return to the area. I hope we can host you again some time.

Reviewed November 26, 2011

You really need to search to find the entrance to this suburban hotel, nestled in a residential complex its a great location too bad the hotel not so much. The rooms are pretty standard, but you can see they are skimping on amenities, the KS bed has two small pillows, TV/Internet are great, but the shower, very weak pressure and those aweful shower gel and shampoo dispensers, while enviromentally friendly I prefer knowing I am the only one using them as anyone can dump something in the container and why did aloft get rid of the bliss facial cleanser, was a bonus.....dont be so cheap aloft, if i wanted a holiday inn I would have picked one. The food options are expensive and not worthwhile a large Whole Foods is downstairs a better choice and dont look for an AM newspaper here, the staff said they were discontinued.....shame on you!

Room Tip: Laugh....everyone gets the same room here, only choice double or single.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank circuitdogg305
gmaloft, General Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

I'm saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do our best to ensure that every guest enjoys their time with us. I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. If there is anything I can do to make you feel better about your stay, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

For a newer property, this hotel is oddly run down. Within 30 seconds of entering my room I discovered that the toilet was broken & running constantly and could not be flushed. I called the front desk and a woman explained how I could fix the problem by taking the toilet back off, reach into the water, and reconnect a hose. I actually had to state, "I'm uncomfortable reaching into a hotel toilet" before she offered to send a maintenance person to fix the problem. In addition, the TV did not work properly with the majority of channels (cbs, nbc, abc) being inaccessible. I called about this problem and was told a maintenance person would be up. This was 3 hours ago and I haven't seen anyone. Other fun facts:

-there is rebar sticking out of the ceiling in this room, which doesn't exactly convey a "safe & well maintained property"

-the shower head is mounted off center & is fixed. you can either: 1) shower with your body pressing against the wall or 2) wash half of your body at a time. I'm thin so I don't know how anyone larger would manage this as it was a struggle.

-there's a construction company across the street and it seems that they cut tile in the parking lot until well past dark.

Overall, this hotel is bare bones. There's no restaurant or room service. The "check-in" area is a ridiculous circular pod that may or not have someone in it. The bed has a cement like quality, which is why I am up at 12am writing this review and not sleeping. This bed rivals ones I've slept in in 3rd world countries for the title of "least comfortable bed"

Not exactly what I expect for $150 a night. Will never stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank DVFAAR
gmaloft, General Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

I'm saddened to hear that we didn't live up to your expectations. From your comments, it appears that you experienced a number of anomalous issues at our hotel. I'm sorry that things went so far off track during your stay. If I can do anything at all to make you feel better about Aloft please contact my office and I will make it happen.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Very cool change of pace from the more traditional chains- I specifically chose this place for this reason, and it fit the bill completely. Lively colors and designs had sort of a club feel. Seems to be a good family place too, with pool tables and fun furniture being pounced upon by young'n's throughout the lobby.

But, even on the 4th floor, the music from the bar below kept me up past 1am. Unless you plan on closing down bars yourself, I can't recommend this place. And yes it's hard to find, but I should have done more homework on that first- basically find the Dave & Buster's and it's behind there to the left...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
gmaloft, General Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Aloha!

Thank you for your kind words and your patronage. I'm sorry that Keagan's disrupted your rest. I hope you will give us another chance on a more relaxed evening.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

The bar tending staff in the hotel bar, Stephen and Mark, are absolutely fabulous. Ordering drinks was actually a pleasant experience for once even while they were busy. I recieved my drinks and food quickly and it was with a smile. I have NEVER been to a bar with the staff being this pleasant. I am definitely coming back to this hotel again just so that I can grab a drink at the hotel bar!

• Stayed: November 2011

Thanks for you review. We're pretty fond of our Wxyz staff too!

I'm delighted to hear that you've made us your watering hole of choice.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

The hotel in Richmond is in a great location, very close to lots of shopping and major highways. There is also a grocery store right next door. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Room is basic, but hotel has the overall aloft vibe. Pleasantly surprised by the experience, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
gmaloft, General Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2011

Greetings traveler,

Thank you for your review. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 24, 2011

My only complaint is that the beds could be more comfortable. I prefer softer, fluffier mattresses. Otherwise, the experience was awesome. The employees were polite and helpful. The general atmosphere was very welcoming and comfortable. The area still has a bunch of stores and apartments/condos that are being constructed and is a hip place to be.

We arrived about 10:30a.m. and were allowed to check in instead of waiting until 3p.m.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
gmaloft, General Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that the bed wasn't to your liking but I am glad that you enjoyed your stay otherwise. We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Allen
Wingate by Wyndham Richmond Short Pump
Hampton Inn Richmond-West
Hampton Inn Richmond-West
#1 of 23 in Glen Allen

Been to Aloft Richmond West? Share your experiences!