“Graduation weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Clifton, Virginia
“Graduation weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Marriott is our home away from home....We stayed at this particular Marriott Courtyard the weekend of college graduation for our daughter. It is conveniently located to several great restaurants in Glen Allen, is clean, comfortable and accommodating. The front desk staff were friendly and were able to answer several questions regarding the area for us.

We felt safe and secure as well as parking our car in the parking lot. It was well lighted and has a side door for entry with your access key. Rooms are beautifully furnished and the beds were clean and comfy. Thermostat worked, there was plenty of hot water and an ice machine right across the hall. This Marriott has a breakfast bar but we chose, instead to run thru a neighboring Starbucks. Great experience all round.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Deb S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 11:00 pm after driving in from New York City only to be told that our room was not ready. It was being cleaned. At 11:00 pm at night? This hotel obviously has serious management and staffing problems and should be booked with caution. Better yet, go somewhere else. There was no manager on duty and the hotel was in chaos.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Wanderer22_12
Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Generally, Marriott Courtyards are my favorite hotels among the business-class-type, chain hotels. While this had a number of the same amenities as other Courtyards in which I've stayed, I found a few aspects lacking.

As a number of other people have mentioned, the cleanliness was issue. Now, the rooms weren't filthy or disgusting, but it just seemed like corners had been cut. The first room I checked into had a kind of moldy, damp smell. The area had just had bad rainstorms, so I wasn't going to make a big deal about it, but THEN, when I lifted up the mattress to check for evidence of bedbugs (This is my standard routine at all hotels...I'm not the only one, right?), I found a nudie magazine under the mattress! This was weird on a number of levels. I wasn't offended by the magazine so much as the fact that the room obviously hadn't had a thorough cleaning. I realize that most housekeeping staff probably don't have time to check under mattresses, but still...it just made me wonder/worry about cleanliness. Anyway, I asked to switch to a different room. The next room was fine, but again had signs that corners had been cut related to cleanliness. Crumbs under the desk, etc. Let me be clear though: I think the people who work in housekeeping probably have a really terrible job for which they don't get paid nearly enough. When I see issues related to cleanliness (and it seems like many other reviews mention this too), I place responsibility on management, not housekeeping staff. Perhaps this is a sign that additional housekeeping staff needs to be hired, for example.

Finally, I thought it was super-lame that the hotel bar (I hate to even call it that!), closed at 9:30 or 10:00 every night. I was visiting family in the area and didn't get back to the hotel until after 10:00 most nights of my stay. It definitely would have been nice to be able to get a nightcap at the apparently super-late hour of 10:30 pm! Another issue with the restaurant-type area was that it was VERY slow in the mornings. It seems like it would be a good idea to have more than 1 person working or else at least have self-serve coffee, so people don't have to wait forever for someone to make an egg sandwich on the grill while waiting to order a simple cup of coffee.

Despite these complaints, I do want to say that absolutely everyone I dealt with--front desk staff, housekeeping, maintenance, etc. was incredibly kind and friendly. This fact tells me that the issues with this hotel probably lie in upper management, NOT in the day-to-day staff. It seemed like everyone was doing the best they could with the inadequate resources provided.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank mmh189
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Arrival; We found the hotel without an issue, the location is very good. It is located next to a mall area with numerous restaurants and stores nearby.
Check-in: The check-in employee was friendly and made the check-in process easy. He answered all of our questions and even asked if we wanted an upper or lower floor.
The room: The room was nice and spacious. The only thing the room lacked was a good layout. The bed faced the window and the couch faced the TV. You could move the TV out and turn in towards the bed but you would still be watching TV on a weird angle and the couch wasn't comfortable to sit on to watch TV. So the layout was awkward and must have been designed by someone who doesn't stay in hotels often.
Location as I stated above is excellent! We ate at right next door and it was very convenient. Overall this hotel is nice and is in a great location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I reserved one room with two double beds. I've stayed at other Courtyard Marriotts before and I've always enjoyed my stay, but this establishment by far was a shocker to me. The room was disgusting! The room appeared neat and everything looked in place, but there was trash on the floor and under the bed. There were food crumbs everywhere. The bathroom had food (noodles) on the counter and dried toothpaste stains all over the bathroom counter. I went downstairs and told the staff, she was more than helpful. She offered me a room with King bed, but I needed two double beds. She ended up placing us in two different rooms with King beds (adjoining rooms). When we arrived at the new room, again the room appeared clean and neat. It wasn't as bad as our previous room, besides the complimentary shampoo and conditioner had already been used. I saved that complaint and didn't mention it to the front desk. Needless to say, I didn't tip the cleaning staff when we checked out.

PS - the walls are very thin!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank VaBeachBum2
Manteca, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for business for two nights the hotel was clean the check in was quick the only issue I had was my 730 wake-up call did not come in and I didn't set the alarm in the room because it was too complicated so I was an hour and a half late for my meeting. I went downstairs and the gentleman behind the food counter seemed very un interested in my business I stayed there for about two minutes and he finally looked up and said can I help you I just decided to order a coffee,paid for it it took him 5 minutes to make it and he didn't even look up say thank you or anything so I decided instead of eating there I would go across the street.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mantecagirl1
Stamford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed here and there was a baseball tournament going on, so lots of families with kids. The front desk said that we would not be placed on their floors. When we got to our floor, our room was next to the elevator. The front desk moved us to a room a few doors down. At about 10pm, we heard loud noises in the hallway, which then went into the room next door. Boys were screaming and yelling. I went outside and knocked on their door. They answered (no adult in the room and they looked about 9 years old,) and then quieted down. I wish the front desk had been honest with us about where they were placing us. Also, no sheets or blankets for the sofabed (just a chairbed really). There are several other hotels nearby, so I'd stay elsewhere next time.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family