“great hospitality,clean, safe”

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Portland, Oregon
“great hospitality,clean, safe”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed at the hotel last week and enjoyed a visit that exceeded expectations. All staff was friendly and a great breakfast that was fresh throughout service hours. Hotel is bright w quality carpeting and my room was clean and spacious. As an Elite Diamond member, it is one of the best hotels I have spent a night. I left a piece of luggage behind and w the assistance of many team members(w a special effort from the manager) it was sent to me. The location is near many restaurants and there's easy access to attractions in Richmond via the freeway. The price is fair and the staff is honest and communicative. This hotel is well managed and a good choice when in the Richmond area!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
I am glad to hear you received your back pack. We were more than happy to help with the arrangements of getting it returned to you. Thank you for your positive comments regarding your room, the staff and the breakfast. Your experience is what we strive for. I have shared your comments with the entire staff. Thank You. We hope to have you as our guest when you return to the area. Again, thank you for your valuable comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here 2 weeks ago. I noted on our reservation that we would arrive late (3am). Checking in was easy and fast. The room was spacious for a family with 3 small children. We weren't there for long, but breakfast was fine. The staff attending breakfast were wonderful and very friendly. I think we'll be returning here if we are in Richmond area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your nice experience with us last month. The level of service you experienced is what we strive for with every guest. I have shared your comments with all our departments. Thank You. We hope to have you as our guest on your next visit to Richmond (Glen Allen), VA. Again, thank you for valuable comments.
Warrenton, Virginia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel over this past weekend and were not overly impressed. I would rate this hotel a 2.5 - 3 on the TripAdvisor scale.

The lobby and pool area are very nice, well lit, and inviting. This area of the hotel is above average and very comfortable. The only negative was the pool was ice cold and the kids didn't enjoy it as much as they would have if it were heated....that whole area did look to be pretty clean. The breakfast was well stocked, hot, and pretty good.

However, when you move into the actual "rooms" area of the hotel, you notice a definite decline. For instance, if you go up the main staircase in the lobby and go to the left door, you will notice it is held together with black duct tape...as you walk down the hallway you will see scuffs and scrapes on the walls. This didn't bother me too bad as a lot of that is normal wear and tear and could possibly be recent damage.

When we got to our room we noticed a pretty good sized crack in the wall by the closet and some glue marks where it looked like something had once been. The walls were dirty and marked. However, on initial inspection it wasn't as bad as I had expected based on reviews....though as I was in the room longer I began to notice what some of the other reviewers were talking about.

The sheet on my bed had an odd rust/blood stain on it. I convinced myself it was rust because I didn't want to be too grossed out...and it was in pretty much of a straight line across the width of the sheet like maybe it had gotten up against something in the wash. Next, I began to notice a lot of hair on the blankets that wasn't mine or any member of my family's...fortunately it was warm and I didn't need the blanket that night. I knew coming in this place wasn't a 4 star hotel, so I did my best to not look too closely for the imperfections....however, my wife and younger son were not so oblivious to the condition of the room.

Next to, what became my bed, was what appeared to be a bloody/crusty "object" on the wall and on the skirt of the bed. My younger son flipped out and would not sleep in the "booger" bed...that duty fell on me.

The bathroom was clean in our room.

The reason I titled this review "Hit or Miss" is that in talking with other families from our team who were also staying in this hotel, they did not notice any of what we spoke of in their room (they were in King Suites, we were in a Double/Double.) I took that to mean that, like many hotels, some rooms are just better than others and we did not get lucky on ours and got one of the run down/dirty rooms. This is why I gave it an average rating.

For the price, I was not dissatisfied...it did its job and gave us a place to stay after our baseball games...though my wife said we will not stay there again.

Room Tip: One thing to be aware of is if you make your reservations using an online service (expedia, booking...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments from your stay with us last month. I am sorry the room you were in as our guest was not up to our standards. The rooms with the 2 beds are much requested and occuiped a majority of nights, and by families and multiple guest. This puts more wear and tear on these rooms. We do have our preventive maintenance program, and sounds like we need to pay more attention to the room you had. I can assure you that I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping and Maintenance staff to correct these items. We are in the beginning stages of a complete renovation to all our guest rooms, which is due, as you noted. I am glad to hear that other team members did not experience the itemsyou noted. I hope you will return to visit and see the progress of our renovations. Again, thank you for your valuable comments.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed April 15, 2013

After reading reviews about this hotel, I was a little worried about this hotel. But I have to say that I was impressed. I guess that management must have taken comments on TripAdvisor seriously. The lobby and the common areas were clean. The employees were VERY friendly and helpful. I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel.

The room was okay. It had a few stains (something drippy) on the wall and fingerprints on walls and doors but nothing too terrible. Some of the furniture did have chips or scratches but again, not too bad. The bathroom and linens were very clean...THAT is important to me. The only complaints/suggestions I have about the room, is that they need those lamps that have outlets in base. There are not enough outlets in the room for a laptop and cell phone chargers. The outlet closest to the desk was occupied by the microfridge and a lamp. I had to plug my laptop in closest to the couch for it to charge, then move it to the desk to use it. And I had to unplug the lamp closest to the bed to charge my cell phone. Also, I HATE those "half-pillows" that a lot of hotels are using these days. (You know, the ones that are the size of throw pillows) My suggestion, bring your own pillow.

The best thing going for this hotel is their employees. I am extremely impressed with the level of customer service. First, the man working the front desk was very friendly, accommodating, and paid attention to what I was saying. When I told him I was there for a college baseball game, and that I was concerned that the weather earlier that day may cause problems he assured me that the field I was talking about drained well....When I got to my room I noticed that we had double beds instead of a king (I had booked through Hotwire....very good rate). I called him, and he immediately put us in a king room. And when we returned from our game, he asked if we had won. How impressive is that?

Now he wasn't the only employee I was impressed with. The guy that is the breakfast attendant deserves all kinds of accolades. First, he kept the area SPOTLESS. He was constantly busy replenishing and cleaning....all the while smiling and exchanging pleasantries with the guests. But the thing that impressed me the most, was that before he closed the breakfast area, he walked around to every table and informed them that he was getting ready to close up and asked if they would like anything else. I have stayed at many many hotels and have NEVER seen that done. Mostly, I've seen people close up while guests are still standing in the area trying to get food. Kudos to the Comfort Inn for this employee and this guest-friendly policy.

I was so pleased with my stay, that I have booked another stay in 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your stay with us from last week. I'm sorry VCU swept the series. We appreciate your feedback on your room. I am glad you found your room to be clean and comfortable. We do value our guests comments and do everything to improve our guests stays. We take pride in our service, and I am glad that you were able to experience the level of service we stive to give. We look forward to your return visit in a couple of weeks. Adain, thank you for your time and valuable comments.
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 24, 2013

After reading the reviews on this hotel I was rather anxious about checking in. I didn't need to worry. It seems that management took the comments on the housekeeping issues to heart and are maintaining a higher standard. We stayed five nights and the room looked great when we returned from our outings. Way to go Housekeeping!!!

The breakfast was well maintained. It contained eggs, sausage (or ham), waffles (regular and flavor of the day), cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, fresh fruit and fresh pastries. They also had gourmet bagels and criossaints. (There is not a managers dinner that is mentioned on Priceline.)

Our first night there it snowed. We being from Florida were not sure what to do about the snow on our windshield. The manager was very helpful and came out and scraped the snow off the car. The staff was also very friendly.

There are so many restaurant choices near this hotel. They also have a Walmart and Target nearby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your stay with us from earlier this month. We are happy that you saw the improved standards we have set as our goals.We are glad you enjoyed your stay during the week week and enjoyed the variety we offer with our breakfast. I am glad to hear that our staff was accomidating and provided the service you expect. We hope to see you on your next visit to Richmond/ Glen Allen Virginia. Again, Thank You.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here for one night on trip to Richmond to visit our daughter. Absolutely shocked by what we saw. First room was filthy. Area behind the TV, which was highly visible, looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in months. It was the same behind the night table and all along the walls. Went down to complain and was offered another room. It was somewhat better in terms of dust but the bedspreads had stains and the TV did not work properly. We will never visit this hotel again and would strongly discourage others. I knew we were taking a chance on this hotel based on prior reviews. Believe the negative reviews. Stay away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for taking time to post your review from your recent stay with us. I can assure you that the housekkping issues you brought to our attention are being addressed. The dust issue you noted in your 1st room is not a common concern here. We used your comments that you completed prior to your departure in our housekeeping meeting the very next morning. I am sorry we fell below your expectations and I want you to know that our cleaniness is very important to us.
Again, thank you for your time.
Sharpsville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The front desk staff member that was working the desk on the Sunday evening we checked in was SUPER! Really helped us to find a place to grab a bite to eat for dinner.
The remainder of the hotel was simply average - not good, not bad.
The bed was not comfortable, but wasn't that uncomfortable either.
As one reviewer put it, they do need to learn how to vacuum the carpeting a bit better. And time for some touch up maintenance work.
Breakfast was so - so, with the hot items being luke warm at best.
The internet connection worked well.
But still, it was not a bad stay. I've been in better and I've been in worse. About what I'd expect in that price range, but still of lesser quality than what I've come seen in other Comfort Suites.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking to review your stay with us last week. I will surely pass along the compliment on our Guest Service Agent, who assisted you at check in. We want to be better than your "average stay". I will look at the items you mentioned and involve our housekkeping and maintenance staff in improving. We are in the beginning process of an exciting renovation of our guest rooms and our lobby area. We look forward to having you as our guest on future travels to the Richmond/ Glen Allen Area. Again, thank you for your time.