“Great Place”

Comfort Suites Innsbrook
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I have stayed here several times and the hotel is very clean, has an indoor pool and the staff is great!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind review it is mine and my staffs goal to provide the best service possible. We look forward to your next stay with us the next time you are in the Richmond area.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Let me start off by saying the hotel itself was fine and so was the pool, but good luck using it without having to work around the front desk staff's children/family! I wasn't going to write a review until I found out I was LIED to once again, but this time by the manager Mr. Malone. I called him last week and filed a formal complaint and tried to avoid writing this very review, but he didn't follow-up on a single thing he said he would and to be honest it's just another slap in the face after what we have already endured. I was smart enough to record the phone call between myself and the manager Mr.Malone so if something like this had happened I would have information to support my case and Thankfully I do!

It's more than clear that the mgr and front desk staff have more of a personal relationship rather than a business one. When myself, my grandmother, and my husband stayed at this hotel it was a nightmare the minute we walked in the door. I was trying to check in and 2 small children were running around the lobby unattended without an adult supervising them, and twice already they had made contact with me and were screaming and yelling as if they were outside on a playground not in a upscale establishment. I inquired as to who the children belonged to and the front desk lady in a VERY defensive, not so nice manor informed me that they were her children! I'm sure she could tell I was not at all pleased at all with her response so she volunteered information telling me her boss was aware & let her bring the children to work with her so basically I shouldn't have a issue with it either. I am still trying to figure out how you run a hotel (she was the only staff member on shift) and watch your children at the same time! She was VERY defensive and made it seem as if I was the issue not the out of control children that were making our check-in a complete nightmare. Truth be told I wouldn't have had an issue with it had they behaved, but these were two of the most unruly children I have come in contact with to date. My husband was assisting my grandmother coming in the door and sure enough one of the little boys makes contact with my grandmothers walker and almost knocked her down. Had my husband not been QUICK and had enough strength to grab her she would have fallen and at 91 this could have been catastrophic, possibly her last fall. I was floored because the desk clerk/ mother didn't even acknowledge what happened much less apologize,but she did take the time out of helping us to grab one of the boys and pull him over to the tables to force him to sit down. That lasted all of a minute tops! Had it not been for the travel time and my grandmother being tired we would have gotten back in the car and left right then, but we didn't really have that option because it was already late for her, around 7:30-8pm, and we had already paid online for our entire stay, The check-in took at least triple the amount of time it should have and at that point I just wanted to get grandma safely into her room so she could rest. The remainder of our stay was okay except for trying to use the pool and the front desk ladies children were using it 2 out of 3 times we attempted so we were only able to use it once with grandma and we selected the hotel because of the indoor pool and the handicap accessible chair it had for grandma to use. We decided instead of posting a review we would call management when we had fully calmed down and file a complaint, but not out of anger. I was also in fear of my personal information being used if we did file a complaint and made that known to Mr. Malone when we spoke. He told me to email him anonymously so he could put the complaint in the file of front desk lady & I did so that very day. He told me the attitude and defensiveness the front desk lady displayed had been an ongoing issue and he assured me he would take care of it and she would no longer be working with the hotel. He offered me a free stay and I told him I wasn't looking for a freebie, but I did want to ensure that we could return and not have to deal with this circus activity. Mr. Malone also informed me that while he did okay the children coming to work with the lady for "30 mins" a while back for only a week due to babysitter issues, but he was unaware she was still bringing them and we determined that she was bringing them for far more than 30 mins a day because of the time she comes into work and the time we checked in had been well over a few hours after her shift had started.

I feel like he said what he could just to get me off the phone! What I did fail to tell Mr. Malone is my husband is in his same industry and that is why we were as careful as we were when filing the complaint because we know going through the proper chain of command is much more effective than filing a complaint and getting others involved whom have nothing to do with one person's actions. Well after this it's clear that this was a cover-up on his part because I just can't see corporate okaying children coming to work with anyone in this industry and bottom line is there is NO way a person can do the job she is supposed to do when she has to watch two children that I would put well under ten years of age. I have children myself and I would get laughed at if I tried to bring my children to work for any period of time and my job is a sit down boring office job if you will. I left my children at home with the nanny to get a break. We shouldn't be forced to deal with things like this and then get treated like we are the ones in the wrong. I am floored that this man lied to me after I Thanked him for being so kind and hearing me out. I was almost going to write a good review about him until we did a follow-up call which informed us this lady was and is still very much working and that's not where Mr.Malone left it....as he said "it's her last straw" He told me he has had "many" previous issues and agreed 100% that she displays defensive behavior when you try and give her feedback. I have every bit of this recorded and will be sending a package with my concerns to corporate as soon as I get it together.

I will NOT use a choice hotel again and I WAS a member. They can have the points and they can have the rude, dishonest, disrespectful staff they employ! He could have been honest and told me he wasn't going to do anything instead of wasting my time and making it seem as though he heard my concerns and validated them. I feel very disrespected to say the least and I will NOT stop here. Thanks for lying to me and Thanks for showing me your hotel could care less about guest safety and Thanks mostly for making us check our bank accounts daily and live in fear that this woman has our home information and bank card info. I wouldn't put anything past these people at this point, but we will see how corporate feels. Maybe they will act on the issue and the BBB. Buyer BEWARE!!!!!!

4  Thank A L
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Everything was great, but the pool was too cold for little kids when it was cold outside. Staff said 80 degrees air temp and pool temp was highest they could go according to state law.... odd, because it is lower than accepted guidelines for kids.

1  Thank JandreamBB
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

Thank you very much for your honest and well thought review of the Comfort Suites Innsbrook. I would like to first apologize for the water temperature of the pool. We do normally keep the temperature of the pool at 80 degrees per the advice of the county inspector that checks the pool monthly so that we are in compliance with county guidelines. I would also like to apologize for the misrepresentation by my front desk attendant in reference to this temperature being a "law". It is simply a suggestion by the inspector as a safe and comfortable temperature for the pool. I will be having a meeting this week with my front desk staff and I will make sure to bring this issue up and make sure that everyone understands. I am happy that the rest of your stay was satisfactory and i look forward to your next stay with us the next time you are in the Richmond area. Thank you again for the helpful feedback.

Reviewed April 22, 2012

Good location just off I-64, near I-295 & I-95. Quiet area near business park. Close to Broad St, with a lot of restaurants to dine at. Nice room liked having a sofa and desk. Breakfast has a nice variety of items to choose from. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind review. We strive to make sure that every guest has the best stay possible. I will make sure to share this great positive feedback with my team which will help ensure that we continue to provide the same level of service every time you are in the area. Thank you again.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last weekend. It was $63.00 per night and they are pet friendly (that is an additional $20 per night). This is the second time I have stayed there. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and they provide a great breakfast in the morning for free. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Each room I had was great.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

I would like to take a moment to thank you for you very kind words about our hotel. I am truly pleased that you enjoyed your stay with and we look forward to your next stay with us. Thank you again and have a great day.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend trip to Kings Dominion. This hotel is about 20 minutes away, however we chose it due to the poor reviews given to hotels closer to the park. The room was clean. I agree with a previous reviewer about the beds - not that comfortable - but I have slept in worse. But what is up with the tiny airplane pillows? Would it really be that much of an investment to provide guests with an entire pillow? We checked out the breakfast area both days about 20 minutes before breakfast was over. I would recommend going earlier if you want a more rounded choice of items. Most things were gone by this time and were not refilled. All and all - a good experience. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Staff very nice. Rooms big and comfortable. Very clean and nice. Will stay here every time we come to Kings Dominion.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Comfort Suites I, General Manager at Comfort Suites Innsbrook, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Thank you very much for your recent review of our property. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and will stay with us again. We look forward to seeing you in the future and providing you with the same great service and accommodations. Thank you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Allen
#15 of 23 in Glen Allen
1 mi away
Candlewood Suites Richmond West End Short Pump
Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Glenside

Been to Comfort Suites Innsbrook? Share your experiences!