“Great value but in need of an upgrade”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Richmond-West End
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Great value but in need of an upgrade”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We always stay at Homewood Suites when we can. This one seemed in need of an upgrade. We had ripped carpeting in our room and it seemed rather dated as a whole. The pull out sofa was very uncomfortable, even for a pull out sofa. That being said, we'd still choose this hotel over others. The value is excellent. The room layout is very convenient. The complimentary breakfast is wonderful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Ashburn, VA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I spent three nights a month for the past six months at the Homewood Suites and had a positive experience. On the one occasion when I had problems with the room, managment did a good job addressing my problem. The rooms are large and spacious and it was nice having a separate sitting area as well as the kitchen. It made my multi-night stays much more bearable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Baldwinsville, New York, United States
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Nice Suite, lots of room for two people. Great complimentary breakfast, great service. The area where the hotel is located is near all sorts of malls and shops, you will always find something to do in the area. Quite, clean rooms!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Michael C, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Richmond-West End, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
On behalf of the Homewood Suites Richmond West Team, I want to thank you so much for choosing to stay with us! I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay....it is always our goal to ensure that we exceed your expectations, and that you have all of the comforts of home while you are here! Thank you again from the entire staff here, and please let us know when you are in town next! We would love to have you here again!
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have stayed at this property before. Each timne I have been completely satisfied. I reccomend it without hesitation. The staff has always been friendly and professional. Break faxt and Dinner are outstanding

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Springdale, South Carolina
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Let me start by saying in am a Diamond Member of Hilton Honors. To be a Diamond Member you have to stay a minimum of 60 nights a year so needless to say, I spend a lot of nights in Hilton properties. When on extended stays I like to look for places like Homewood Suites which offer two room suites, kitchenettes with dishwashers, and full size refrigerators. While the Homewood Suites Richmond-West End/Innsbrook offers the typical amenities of a Hilton Homewood Suites property including a full hot breakfast and evening Manager's reception (Dinner), the maintenance and service at this particular property was so bad that I actually packed my things and found another hotel to complete my stay in Richmond.

Ron Williams is the General Manager of the property. Why do I know this? Quite simply, because I had several reasons to address problems to management and sadly to say, they fell on deaf ears. Let's examine some of the issues....

If you stay here, learn to put the plug in the tub drain. If you don't a urine like smell will come out of the drain and permeate the room. While this was annoying at first, giving the impression the bathroom was not clean, it was clearly coming from the drain and maybe not something under the control of the management so I won't hold that against them. Just a note of advice in the event you choose to stay here.

One other piece of advice, watch your vehicle. After a few days at the property, the fuel tank on my full size luxury car mysteriously lost nearly half a tank of fuel overnight. I went to the front desk and was told they would check the security tapes and get back with me. I never heard back from anyone. I went to the local auto parts store and was told there had been rashes of people stealing fuel throughout the neighborhood, especially in large parking lots overnight. They indicated they had been selling a lot of locking gas caps because of the problems.

First, the Homewood Suites is generally a little longer stay property so many times guests will stay days or weeks instead of just a night or two. In this case, I was scheduled to stay multiple weeks. I don't change my bed sheets or towels daily at home so I don't need them changed daily at a hotel and this property does not have in room safes so I wanted to minimize the traffic in and out of my room so I kept the "Privacy Please" notice on my door. I must say, that was irritating in that the style of do not disturb signs in use at the property continually fall of the door handles. It was tiring bending to pick the sign off the ground every time I left the room, so much so, I actually used small circles of self stick Velcro on the sign and door to hold the sign in place.

The garbage disposal never worked my entire stay there. While I only had the room serviced once a week, I think I had reason to expect the room to be cleaned properly. What I actually got was a basic linen change. The housekeeper shoved any dishes in the dishwasher, ran it, changed the towels, and bed linens. It was obvious the carpets were not vacuumed and nothing was dusted or cleaned. It became so bad, the dust was so thick on the ceiling fan above the bed that it actually became so thick and heavy, it fell in clumps from the ceiling fan on to the bed. It was as if the blades on the ceiling fan was growing fur. When I took my concerns to the front desk the evening my room had been serviced, they indicated they would let the manager know. Mr. Williams telephoned my room the next day and actually left a message stating, "They wanted to get in to my room and clean it but they couldn't because I kept the Privacy Please notice on the door." Mind you, I had taken the sign off the door and had the room serviced that day and the dust fell from the ceiling fan within hours AFTER the housekeeper had supposedly serviced my room. Of course, when I returned his call and got his voicemail, telling him they had supposedly cleaned my room that day, I never got a return phone call with another lame excuse.

The on site washer and dryer are pretty old and worn. The dryers work only part of the time and when they do work, they don't work we'll. Even with a small load of just socks and under garments, you will have to dry it at least twice.

I already pointed out that the "Privacy Please" notice continually fell from the door and I finally Velcro hooked it to the door. That didn't stop the housekeeper for taking it off the door, entering, and servicing the room several days later. When I again contacted management, I was told the sign had come off the door handle (not sure how it could have as it was Velcro'd on) and even though the housekeeper knew that it was there on the ground, they entered the room anyway. Strangely, they actually took the sign and I had to go to the front desk to request another one.

Shortly before I finally gave up and ended my stay, the bathroom vent fan in the room next to me started malfunctioning making a horrendous vibrating / buzzing sound. The sound was so loud and obnoxious, right on the other side of the mutual wall, I was unable to sleep with it running. I was able to record the sound on my iPad. Do you know how loud a sound has to be that it could travel through a wall and still be recorded in the room next door? I complained to the front desk. The night manager attempted to get the guest in the adjoining room to turn the fan off but was "unable" to reach them? How hard could it be? How about you walk up and knock on the door? Instead, overnight, a letter was put under my door with a note attached saying because of the noise disruption, I simply needed to sign the letter and they would give me the night free. This is in keeping with Homewood Suites policy of making it right or your night is free.

I explained two things. First my company was paying the bill so giving me a free night did absolutely nothing for me. I still wasn't able to sleep and it saved me no money. Second, I didn't really need anything other than the noise eliminated so I could sleep that and future nights. That evening, when returning to the hotel, there was a message on my room phone from the Chief Engineer who stated they had replaced the vent fan in the adjoining room so it would not be a problem any longer. The noise was gone......for 3 days then it was back as loud as ever. I again called to the front desk. Nothing happened. That evening I called again. Nothing happened. The next morning I stopped at the front desk. Nothing happened. That evening, I again called to the front desk. Nothing happened and the front desk agent actually told me he would have to get permission from the manager to even ask the guest in the next room to turn the fan off so apparently disturbing that guest was more worrisome to the hotel than my peace, quiet, and ability to sleep. I even went so far as to stop at the front desk to let them hear the recording I made. The front desk agent so, "wow, that's loud".

The next morning I talked with the night manager who had offered the free night. She indicated the hotel was working to get me some Hilton Honors points in place of the free night . I politely explained if I didn't have so many things in the room that I would have already checked out. She assured me she would have another conversation with Mr. Williams. I told her the noise had gotten so bad, I had to resort to sleeping on the couch in the living area. I further explained I would be leaving town for a couple days but leaving my stuff in the room (and paying the full room rate to leave my stuff there) and I would expect they would have the noise fixed by the time I returned. I returned Sunday evening to a virtually empty hotel. Even with almost every room empty, they still kept a guest in the adjoining room with no change to the fan, the noise as loud as ever and I spent another night on the couch. I checked out Monday morning and made it very clear to the same night manager that I was checking out because the hotel refused to react to the noise preventing me from sleeping.

Needless to say, even though I turned down their offer of a free night, I never got anything in the way of compensation as they promised, no points, no nothing. All I ever wanted was for them to fix the problem and silence the noise.

Although the night manager was as nice and polite as she could be, it was clear, she had little authority to do anything and certainly none of them took the time to fix the problem. I still had three weeks of my stay remaining in Richmond and there was no way I could do it without sleep.

As I mentioned the hotel offers breakfast 7 days a week and dinner 4 nights a week (Mon-Thur). The breakfast is hot but that's all i can say. It is bland, odd, and repetitive. They offer fresh cooked scrambled eggs two days a week. The remainder of the days it is either these strange pre-cooked and heated eggs discs or previously frozen and heated cheese omelette or western omelette things. All of these items come off the SYSCO foods truck. The bacon or the sausage patties are probably the best items they serve but they too are just frozen heated food. The best thing about the breakfast is Mary, the sweet lady that prepares it five days a week. It would be nice to see a better variety. They do offer fresh baked muffins (banana nut, blueberry, or orange cranberry) but it would be nice to see perhaps a doughnut once in a while. On a couple days a week, they do offer a raspberry or cheese Danish instead of the muffins. The Danish could be day old or previously frozen but they certainly aren't fresh.

The dinner is also a collection of different frozen foods heated. Because they only offer the manager's reception 4 nights a week, they actually provide the dinner about 20 days a month. Two of those days will be BBQ, one a brisket and one shredded. These will be the two best meals they offer. Of the remaining 18 days, 1 may be personal pan pizzas but they don't serve that every month. One is likely to be stuffed peppers, one mini meatloaves, and one meat ball subs. The remaining are probably going to be chicken of one variety or another. You might get pasta once a month. The food, breakfast and dinner are very bland with little taste or flavor. Because of the lack of flavor and excitement in the food, I usually skipped more than half the meals. Think of that.... Free meals and I went to restaurants and paid instead....

While you might get lucky and get a clean quiet room, you might also get a dirty noisy room. For short stays, the food might be edible but if you want more than low grade cafeteria food, look elsewhere. While I have stayed in many Homewood Suites across the country for many nights, THIS Homewood Suites has a general manager who just doesn't care, who makes excuses and actually blames the guest for the hotel and staffs shortcomings, and is not a Sweet Homewood......

Room Tip: Try to get a top corner room away from the elevator. At least you'll have a chance at some peac...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Numburz
Michael C, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Richmond-West End, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
I am very sorry to hear of your issues that you have experienced. As a Hilton Family Brand property, we take every concern and need very serious with each of our guests. We would love the opportunity to speak with you about this situation, as each of our guests concerns are of the utmost importance to us. Our goal has always been to meet and exceed every guest's needs and expectations, and we want to ensure that is done with you as well. Please give us a call at your earliest convenience. I can assure you that each of your concerns is already addressed. And thank you for choosing to stay with us!
Pinehurst, North Carolina
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed a total of 21 days on four separate occasions, and found the staff to be absolutely outstanding, from the manager to the front desk staff, to the women who prepared breakfast daily and even the housekeepers. They have a team approach that makes it a pleasant place to stay. And, they have FULL hot breakfast every morning, and hot meals Monday-Thursday. MOST IMPORTANT, it was QUIET, and the two rooms made it possible to sleep separately if needed due to snoring. Plenty of room in suites (all rooms are suites), Wifi included, full refrigerator, stove burners, microwave, plates, etc, so we cooked on weekends. Nearby is upscale mall at Short Pump and all the eating places you can imagine. COSTCO nearby, and easy access to interstate. Business office with free internet/printing. Daily USA today, parking free and easy. Price was reasonable for service...varies depending on your situation.

Room Tip: ALways better on upper floors, no matter how sound the floors. For us, though, in this hotel, ALL r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank trhlgolfer
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

What a nice suite hotel. Very clean and inviting. It makeshift want to stay at more Homewood Suites. Although lightly staffed, they were very nice and attentive to my needs. A definite winner in my book.

• Stayed February 2013