“Best Smallmouth Guide” 5 of 5 stars

Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best Smallmouth Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have fished numerous times with Richie Hughes of New River Trips on several sections of the New River. We went again yesterday on the the Double Shoals section (by far, my favorite) and caught both quantity and quality fish. It seems like very few fish were under 15" and most of them were caught on the fly rod.

This section seems to produce the largest fish and has the prettiest scenery. The rapids are beautiful yet can be a challenge for most guides and anglers so it receives less pressure than the other sections of the river. Richie handles the raft with such ease that he is able to put you on the best spots while others would be unable to do so. The only negative is that there is a significantly long paddle across a 2 mile lake at the end to reach the landing.

Richie knows the river well from the NC line all the way to below Claytor Lake further north in Virginia. He is equally adept (and accomodating) at both spin fishing and fly fishing and will adjust his trips to accomodate your skills and desires.

Yesterday I spent the first 30 minutes in futility, trying what I thought would be the ticket to catching fish. He patiently redirected me to what he thought would be effective that day and things changed immediately. He is on the water constantly and is able to decipher very quickly what works and what does not each day.

He is also very knowledgable about the wildlife and the environment, providing interesting insights and observations along the way. Even when we don't catch lots of fish he makes it a comfortable and enjoyable trip every time. Yesterday was one of those rare occasions where you get great weather and great fishing at the same time.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank ckearns

Christiansburg, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Fishing In The Region”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Owner and founder of New River Trips, Richie Hughes, is a first class guide. If you want to catch fish, enjoy a scenic float on the New River, learn about the area, and have tons of fun, this experience is for you. Richie helped me perfect my fly fishing skills. We caught six different species of fish on my last trip. The smallmouth bass fishing is absolutely amazing! It's nonstop action when fishing on the New. Whether you live in the area or are passing through the region - this is a "must do activity" for any outdoor enthusiast.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Mark W
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lots of local knowledge, lots of patience and lots of fish.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We had a great time with Richie on the New River. He put us on lots of fish and was a fabulous host. I look forward to fishing with him again.

1 Thank Dcgator77
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great trip, great guide.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I've got to admit, I've never been much of a fresh water fisherman. Pretty much the only thing I've ever caught was a buzz. My father talked me into this trip, but Ive got to say, it was one of the best fishing trips. You can relax, check out the beautiful, peaceful scenery all while puttin fish in the box. Lol. Had such a great time, I was still casting when they were trailering the boat. Take a day trip down the new river. You'll love it!

1 Thank Mepickled