“Great Smokehouse”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Wonderful smoked meats. Choose form brisket, pork or chicken. Try he amazing smoked mashed potatoes for something unique. The service was fantastic. A must visit in Galax.

1  Thank Dan S

Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a casual almost picnic like style BBQ place. They serve you the meat and you can chose what type of BBQ to put on it from a variety of squeeze bottles. I've never seen BBQ done this way, but it was fun testing the different types of BBQ. Sides were good and prices were decent. Staff were quick and very friendly. Its also one of the few places in Galax, VA that we could find wireless internet! Overall, very good food, we enjoyed our meal.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Detoured off the Blue Ridge Parkway to try what I had been told was some of the best BBQ in the area. What I got was not especially tasty meat on a bland bun accompanied by some squeeze bottles of BBQ sauce ... all served on Styrofoam plates with plastic utensils. The side of okra was soggy. Might have expected this from a fast food joint, but not from a place a that claims to be a barbecue champion.

3  Thank trykk
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Nice little local BBQ joint, but didn't seem to live up to hype. I had the "Burnt ends" brisket and my husband had the pulled pork. Portions are generous but quality of food was average. Wait staff was hustling as we were there at a busy time. Staff did a good job although didn't really have time to check back in with us. Paper plates and plastic utensils made it somewhat difficult to eat. Overall, was just an average experience.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was recomended to visit the Smokehouse but I was disappointed by the scourge of America - the disposable plates and cutlery. This is always a downer on what might be good food. But I really can't get past the fact that they can't be bothered to wash up proper crockery and cutlery. I feel like places that dish their food up on this stuff really don't value my custom. Having said that, the waitress was super-friendly and helpful. Food was average,

1  Thank Wendy H