“Good BBQ”

Dining options: Reservations
Fleetwood, North Carolina
“Good BBQ”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We visited the Galax Smokehouse 2/14/13 -- I think this makes the 3rd for 4th visit -- since we read about it in Southern Living magazine. We really like the pork BBQ and the baked beans. All the BBQ sauces are good -- really all the side items we have tried were very good. It's a little run down on the inside, but the employees were really friendly, and the food was very good. The banana pudding was recommended -- we tried it, but were not that impressed.

• Visited February 2013

Lake Norman, NC
“Not as good as expected”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had read great things about this restaurant, so we stopped in for dinner one evening over Thanksgiving weekend. The place was old but presentable. There were lots of locals there eating late dinner (I think it was about 8PM). The waitress was very friendly and explained our questions about the menu. The food was delivered quickly, but I couldn't flag the waitress down to bring some more of the 'all you can eat' fare that I ordered. It tasted okay but it was nowhere near the best I've ever had. Finally I gave up and we requested the check. It even took me a while to pay as I stood patiently at the cash register. On the plus side, we really enjoyed browsing all of the historical pictures on the walls. I'm glad we came, but still feel let down because they didn't meet the hype we heard before coming here.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank OldManAnderson
Selma, North Carolina, United States
“Great Every Time”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We really enjoy the Galax Smokehouse in beautiful downtown. From the brisket & fried potatoes app to the ribs, chopped BBQ, amazing banana pudding and delicious homemade sauces (theyre all good and you can purchase to take home!). Try the BBQ baked beans and smoked mashed potatoes! The employees are always so nice but thats what you cant expect from everyone in Galax.

• Visited December 2012
East Coast
“Tasty barbecue w/ excellent sauces”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife and I ate here on 11/9/12 and enjoyed it quite a bit. The pulled pork BBQ was very tasty and the variety of sauces on your table was amazing. Trying all of the different sauces was a lot fun and it was hard to decide which was our favorite. The prices are reasonable and the inside is filled with interesting historical pictures of the area. The staff is friendly but be prepared to eat on paper plates with plastic forks. You would expect a bit more from the #1 rated restaurant in Galax but that's the way it is. Regardless I would highly recommend that you eat here if you like BBQ.

• Visited November 2012
Wilmington, Delaware
“Smoked burgers??”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

As the waitress said, you either love or hate smoked hamburger. To us, the color, texture and moisture level (dry) was just off. The chicken was OK but again a bit dry. That said, this is a true local watering hole and interesting to visit.

Visited October 2012