“Great food and atmosphere”

BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse
Ranked #8 of 94 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Went on a promotional basis for their pre-opening. I've seen many reviews stating the service is slow, I didn't experience that due to the situation, but will say I could believe it based on deductive reasoning. However, that being said, i thought the food was superb! Every dish they brought out was fantastic, to include the cobbler type desert thing they had - just to die for! The corn fritters were even great, and I've never been a corn fritter type of guy! I was thrilled to be able to try all 4 types of their in house brewed sodas. The Black Cherry ended up being the best, beating out my usually number one Orange. The Orange and Vanilla were very good, but surprisingly the Root Beer actually wasn't. It seemed flat and well, just didn't taste great. All in all though, if you want good food this is a place to get it, if you're willing to pay a decent price for it!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My family (group of 7) stopped in during the middle of the afternoon (3:30ish) on a Saturday for a late lunch/early dinner. The restaurant was pretty much empty but we were told they would push a couple tables together and get them cleaned for us. Almost 15 minutes later we were finally seated at a large booth next to a very LOUD group when the majority of the restaurant was empty. After being seated we waited almost 10 minutes for our waiter (after a couple "I'll be right back comments as he walked by our table") to stop to start taking drink orders. Drinks and meals for the kids were ordered, drinks arrived fairly quickly as well as the salad for one of the kids' meal but we had no silverware, even after asking on two occasions. A few more minutes passed and the pasta dish and pizza kids meals arrived. Still no silverware and the wrong pizza. FINALLY got silverware and waiter disappeared with the pizza, came back in a minute stating that the food runner had brought out the wrong pizza and our food would be out shortly. We finally did get our food, all of which was pretty good, but the meal was not worth the hassle we went thru to get it. Not sure we will try the place again until they have a chance to get their "act" together and learn how to provide service. Almost 2 hours for lunch....how long would it have taken if they had been busy.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I visited this BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse twice, once with my wife and the other time we went with friends of ours. It has become very popular now that the weather has moderated and even with reservations it's a short wait to get a table. They have a wide-ranging menu covering pizzas, seafooed and steaks. The appetizers are fantastic. They have a hot avocado eggrolls that are probably the best eggrolls I've eaten. It's vegetarian so all can share. For a group the Appetizer Combo is ideal and a killer.

There are a lot of entrees from which to choose. I recommend the parmesan crusted chicken. If you like pizza, they have flatbread, thin NY/Philly style, and Chicago deep dish. There is a take out area if the place is crowded and you want to eat at home.

It IS a brewhouse so you won't be disappointed about the choices. The menu classifies the beers and ales so you can find out which ones are bitter and which are mild tasting. Plenty of TV screens around so you can catch bits of whatever games are in season.

Although this resrtaurant is across a parking lot from a BJ's Wholesale Club, it appears to be coincidence and the two businesses are not related. We'll go back again to try other items on the menu. Recommended.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed the soup and salad combination one day and then the sandwich and salad/soup on another occasion. Plenty of food at a good price. Beer is only $3.50 at a week day lunch and normally a couple dollars more on weekends. We highly recommend their Happy Hour specials as well. Great selection of beers, wines and martinis. Good variety of apps as well.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Been here a couple of times with the family. Both times the place has been packed. Service has been pretty good. The servers have been attentive and proficient. Their pizzas are really good, as well as the calamari. Their happy hour specials are good and worth the visit.

1  Thank J A