“Can't go wrong”

BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 99 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Been here a couple of times with the family. Both times the place has been packed. Service has been pretty good. The servers have been attentive and proficient. Their pizzas are really good, as well as the calamari. Their happy hour specials are good and worth the visit.

1  Thank J A

Reviewed May 11, 2014

I'm writing this review after my 2nd visit to BJs in the last 5 weeks. I have not tried any entree and they do have tons of options (maybe too many?) but have had several apps. I sat at the bar both visits and the bartenders were attentive, friendly, and could answer different questions about the brewery/beer. I know some have said the wait staff is not quite up to par, but I can't comment on that.

Beer - I've tried all of them and haven't found one I like enough to take a growler home. I do like the "flight" option so you can figure out what you like without paying $5 per glass. They also have a lot of options besides their own beer so finding a beverage to wet your whistle shouldn't be a problem.

Here are my ranking for all apps tried:

1) Pizookie - this dessert is delicious, I tried the trio with original, white chocolate macadamia nut, and salted caramel. Excellent cookie and good ice cream

2) Personal deep dish pizza - good sauce, crust, and toppings (sausage)

3) Santa Fe Spring Rolls - good dipping sauce, no overpowering flavors, just a solid blend fried up

4) Wings (bone-in) - I'd prefer them to be a little bigger, but they aren't tiny. These were cooked well, we tried 2 flavors in 1 order, the Maui Sweet Teriyaki Glaze was good and had a slight kick, while the buffalo was solid. I'll order the boneless next time to see if they're any good (the pic in the menu made it look like pre-breaded, frozen but we'll see)

5) Crispy Fried Artichokes - not something you see everyday, if you like artichokes worth a try. good lemon aioli to dip (I preferred and used ketchup)

6) Corn Fritters with Bacon Aioli - too much breading filler, dipping sauce was different, not horrible

7) Avocado Egg Rolls - never thought I would say this... but too much avocado led to not tasting anything else. They looked a lot better than they tasted

8) flatbread pepperoni extreme pizza - I normally like flatbread but this was like no crust and reminded me of one of those cheap, grocery store brand pizzas. would definitely never order again

I'll have to try an entree next time to really figure out if this stays in the "dinners out" rotation. I worry that too many choices leads to nothing fresh like Cheesecake Factory

Reviewed April 16, 2014

This was our first time visiting this restaurant. Overall, extremely impressed by the food. Dinner and dessert were wonderful. One waiter, was less than stellar. Took a good ten minutes to even be acknowledged we were sitting there. Had food delivered to wrong tables, starting bringing us the check when we weren't ready...could go on and on. However, the rest of the employees were wonderful. Would recommend.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

My husband and I dined at Bj's Restaurant & Brewhouse this past weekend. It was delightful. I am looking forward to eating there again.

Upon entering this restaurant through its revolving doors, there is a grand two story, slate archway over the hostess' station. There are several large dining areas, including a separate dining section for Happy Hour, with tables near the bar.

The hostess was nice and quickly sat us at an exquisite semi-circular booth with a granite table top. The staff attire is formal with button down white shirts, black trousers and maroon aprons. The atmosphere is upscale, but you can dress casually.

The menu has lots to offer. Among the many menu items are choices for vegan and gluten free along with the regular fare. Each item is freshly prepared. There is an impressive array of beverages, including a full bar and their own label of micro-brewery beer. They also have their own signature dessert.

We had the Roasted Vegetable and Goat Cheese Flatbread Pizza as an appetizer. It was crisp and included bits of goat cheese and veggies in each bite. It was delicious.

I had the Tuscan Chicken Limone as an entree. The chicken was very tender and juicy and came with baby spinach on a bed of pasta. The pasta was perfectly done and dressed with baby spinach, garlic, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes in a lemon butter sauce. The portions were generous. There were two chicken breasts on my plate. My husband had the Mango Chicken Salad and enjoyed every bite.

The service from beginning to end was excellent. Our server Nicolette was friendly, courteous and most helpful. She even continued her good service to us after we left. She was quick to secure my husband's credit card which he had accidentally left on the table. She gave it immediately to the manager.

Our whole experience from beginning to end (and even returning to retrieve the lost card) was pleasant. I will definitely be dining here again.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Tried this place a few weeks back with some friends after it had been open for sometime. Like any new restaurant I expected some kinks especially with the service. I should start out by saying the service wasn't awful, it just left something to be desired. When we first sat we were given a booth which was fine but once we found out our friends were coming they easily accomodated us, just had to wait a few more minutes. No issue at all though. Both couples have infants so if you are thinking about bringing a baby, go ahead, it's loud enough. The menu is big and expansive. You should easily be able to find something. I had the chicken pita, which was really good. Also had the hamburger which was good. I was impressed by the food. French fries left something to be desired though. Plenty of beer selection. The biggest need is the service though....servers were scrambling and there were to many of them standing around. On top of that we didn't get the appetizer until after the lunch came out. The manager came right over and apologized and took it off the bill so it was a non-issue but after having a training for so long before the doors opened I figured the servers and staff would have tried everything and had there act together. Again this was a few weeks after they opened. Other then that, I would recommend the place...and really the service wasn't bad it was just not spot-on. The place gets busy and even though every table was filled it didn't seem like it took more then 15-20 min for someone to sit.