“Great Kabobs and Afghan cuisine”

Afghan Famous Kabobs
Ranked #23 of 92 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Kabobs and Afghan cuisine”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We have been going to the Afghan Famous Kabobs for years. It is reasonably priced and the food is awesome. The chicken kabob is always juicy and the brown rice seasoned perfectly. The mint sauce is spicy and delicious as are the chick peas. We have tried several appetizers and the stuffed meat pastries are our favorite.

You can wait awhile...such if life with a family run kitchen. The fantastic bread is not cooked until you want it so it can take a few minutes. The only thing I wish is that they would get a beer and wine license so at least you could have a drink while you waited.

• Visited September 2012

Warrenton, Virginia
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I had raved about this restaurant to my family. I had had a catered lunch at work and was excited to enjoy the restaurant first hand. The service was slow, and the food was terrible. My family thought I had lost my mind. Sorry.

• Visited April 2012
Virginia
“Great tastes!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We ordered at the counter of this middle of a strip-mall restaurant, like fast food, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The decor was bare bones. The cashier explained a few dishes, took our order then disappeared into the back room kitchen and we sat down. Our order came out fairly quickly and it looked and smelled delicious! We'd ordered more food than we could eat but it was ALL excellent. Leftovers became a quick lunch the next day, still tasty. So, no atmosphere here, no table service to speak of, but great food and friendly smiles. We will be back often.

• Visited August 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Great food in an unlikely location”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

This restaurant is in a strip mall hidden behind a Bank of America on the right hand side of the road as you are heading southbound on the Lee Highway (Route 29) from Manassas. In fact, there are several restaurants in this strip mall each featuring food from a different country such as Vietnam and Japan. According to framed magazine articles in Afghan Famous Kabobs, they have won Cheap Eats awards for 2010 and 2011 from the Washingtonian magazine. I can see why!

I had the Sambosay Goshtee appetizer which is a delicious, flaky, fried pastry stuffed with ground beeef, chick peas, and herbs. I also got the hummus which came with a very big piece of bread, unlike any I have ever seen. The hummus and the bread were great. My husband had a gyro wrap. He said the Afghan gyro had spices that he had never had before and really liked. It was quite different and he found it to be tastier than Greek style gyros he's had in the New York area.

We will definitely come back here next time we are in this area. We'd also like to try some of the other restaurants in this strip mall.

• Visited January 2012