“An eclectic, fun find for an afternoon bite.”
Review of Soul Mountain Cafe

Soul Mountain Cafe
Ranked #31 of 89 Restaurants in Front Royal
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Eclectic Cuisine; some fusion with a whole lot of Soul! Not soul food, but food for the soul in a mountain of flavors. Our eclectic menu is crafted to suit all appetites because we take pride in preparing all plates fresh to order, so have patience for real food, not fast food. Excite your palate! Absolutely the best BBQ in the valley. Known especially for our brisket, pulled pork, and St. Louis style ribs with our house made Doc’s BBQ sauce, right here on 300 East Main St. in historic Front Royal, Virginia, We serve American, Barbeque, Burgers, Cajun/Creole, Caribbean, Sandwiches, Seafood, Steakhouse and Vegetarian cuisine. We take reservations; walk-ins welcome. We are happy to book for large groups, promote a kid-friendly environment, and provide Take Out, Delivery, and Catering services. Outdoor seating available for the warmer months. Our hours of operations are: Tue – Thu: 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm Fri – Sat: 12:00 pm – 9:00pm Sun: 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Party of five, with three children, seated promptly and made to feel at home. Food came in a reasonable amount of time and all five meals were exceptionally well-crafted. Server was a bit young and inexperienced, but tried to keep up with four tables (three deuces and ours.) No sweet tea available (in VA?!) and no Splenda :-(
Bob Marley CD on and appreciated, but a mix would have been better.
Found as a part of "restaurant roulette" on GPS and is one our best gambles to date!

1  Thank Cafecocao

Reviewed October 3, 2010

My wife and I ate at this resturant while staying at Front Royal. This resturant is in the historic downtown area that has been completely revitalized. The food is excellent and it has tables inside or outside on the sidewalk. The staff is friendly and gives great recommendations on their menu.

Reviewed August 18, 2010

We tried Soul Mountain Cafe while weekending in Front Royal and Shenandoah N.P and really enjoyed our meal. It was a fine dining experience in a casual setting (no need to dress up). Based on another Trip Advisor review, my husband ordered the filet mignon, which was served with crispy prosciutto, spinach, and mashed potatoes. The filet mignon was perfectly prepared (he ordered it rare), juicy with fantastic flavor--he gave me a couple of bites and I spent the rest of the meal looking at it longingly. I ordered crabcake (which was mostly crab, not bread) with szechuan green beans and mashed potato. All very tasty, as were the addictive cornbread muffins they bring out before the meal. (The waitress nicely replenished them when she brought out the main dishes.)

They have a pretty good wine list and other interesting drinks (the special that night was a mango martini for $6, though other alchoholic drinks were more expensive).

The service was very friendly; the only "negative" was that the waitress said "no problem" constantly (in response to our requests as well as using this phrase in place of "you're welcome"). I know she meant well and this phrase is commonly used by young people, but it sounds unprofessional.

The meal was expensive ($86, including tip, for 2 people having main courses--no appetizer or dessert--and 3 glasses of wine) but was worth it for an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed August 4, 2010

Stopped here for dinner while getting off the Appalachian Trail for a night with a friend. I had my dog with me and they kindly allowed me to bring her onto the patio while we ate -- even brought her some water and some dog biscuits. I had a roasted vegetable pasta dish and my friend had a trout dish -- both were excellent. Our server was polite without being a nuisance. I would absolutely eat here again.

Reviewed March 21, 2010

Fantastic soul-fusion food with great portions. The Crab & Artichoke dip is amazing, and the outside dining is a great way to spend a hot summer evening in this sleepy town.