“Delicious Quick Bite”
Review of Blue Wing Frog

Blue Wing Frog
Ranked #3 of 88 Restaurants in Front Royal
Description: Casual, eclectic and fun menu. Brunch on Sundays, picnics, take-out or dine-in lunch or dinner. Hearty meat dishes but vegetarian/vegan friendly with lots of entree options for the latter. Gluten free options available as well
Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

This was perfect for what we needed after our drive through Shenandoah. The sandwiches were amazing and the staff was helpful with their unique style. We love supporting local businesses when we are visiting and we weren't disappointed with this one. A lot of effort and thought went into these amazing meals and it definitely paid off. Wish we were in town longer, so we could come back.

1  Thank Woohoo451
There are newer reviews for Blue Wing Frog

Reviewed August 18, 2014

This new restaurant is very good on so many levels. First, let’s address the food – the most important item. They use farm fresh, local, and make everything in house; EVERYTHING. This is so important to many of us nowadays. The menu is a vast selection of mouth watering items. My husband and I tried the “Robert’s Famous “Skrimp” Dinner. The shrimp was unbelievably tasty. The spices and marinade were so unique. Not to mention the wonderful Remoulade sauce for dipping. The side of Organic Pilaf was nicely prepared and once again the use of spices played very well. The side of Spicy Slaw was probably not our favorite. While they did an original spin on the dressing; it seemed to have a bit too much Bay Seasoning. But, not bad. Then we topped everything off with the Carrot Cake Castles. Oh my goodness – those were so moist and made your mouth do a happy dance! We cannot wait to try other things on their menu.

Let’s talk about the atmosphere. So welcoming! The minute you walk in you feel as though you are entering a park picnic area. There is a beautiful mural on the wall, lot of greens and woods, open and just so unique. Very original and lovely.

Now, let’s talk about the environmentalism of this restaurant. The entire restaurant was built by the owner. All the wood structures – table tops, cabinets, wall effects, and the hilarious giant size picnic table were constructed from recycled pallets. When you are served you get a cloth napkin, real silverware, and recyclable containers. At the front of the restaurant is a little recycle center, with separate containers, to place all of these items as well as any scraps of food (not that you will leave anything on your plate.) I can take a minute to recycle; can’t you? I give this place a big KUDOS to their entire concept.

This restaurant is going places and will do very well! Great menu, lovely atmosphere, the owner and staff are great, food is very good, and their dedication to fresh, local, and environmental consciousness is to be applauded. We will be back very soon!

4  Thank Linden96
Reviewed August 14, 2014

After a day zipping in Shenandoah National Park, this place was recommended to us for dinner. I can see why it was recommended. Family owned restaurant that focuses on fresh ingredients and delicious home made food. Almost everything is made from scratch even the ketchup! They have many great staples on their menu like the Death by Pork and Grown Up Peanut Butter sandwiches. Their menu also changes daily based on ingredients available. Also plenty of cookies and other treats for purchase. Great, personal service! I love that they recycle and provide cloth napkins. I will gladly separate my trash to help them recycle. Prices are great and there is free water. They said they would have their ABC license soon. Plenty of parking.

3  Thank Travelfan101520
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Passing through on our way back from visiting the scenic mountains, we drove through Front Royal. We found it to be a typical country town full of typically backward folks. Very little to see and no hope of decent food. We couldn't have been more wrong about the food though.

The Blue Wing Frog is all quality and no pretense. I mean that in a positive way. The food is fresh, vibrant, creative and well crafted. The menu is creative and the ingredients are brought in daily.

I particularly recommend the Chocolate Cake. It reminded me of the cakes I used to get in Switzerland. Rich and decadent with a slight hint of coffee in the finish. The death by pork is only for the hearty eater. I couldn't finish the sandwich. All the breads and desserts are made in house. I am dubious about this when people say it. But here, it's true. They aren't buying frozen, half baked bread and finishing it. They are making actual bread with butter and flour and eggs!!!! And it REALLY comes out in the sandwiches they make.

The shrimp po' boy comes with the most amazing remoulade. It most CERTAINLY is not the typical "old bay" flavor that someone mentioned in another review. Some people have no pallet.

The man working at the counter has that welcoming country charm and we were delighted as he regaled us as he built all of the very clever interior and the oversized picnic table.

I can't say enough nice things about this place. The one down side is the complex trash separation procedure. There are 10 trash cans at the door and you have to sift through your own garbage after eating to put the different recycle things in the right bin. Not fun. But not a deal breaker I suppose. I wish they had wait staff.

We will be back for sure next time we are down that way.

3  Thank JJ3266
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Blue Wing Frog is a recent addition to Front Royal and a great place to visit. They have a great concept of creating picnics for rafters/canoers/hikers that can be picked up early in the AM before your day trip. They also have dine in service which we tried. An eclectic but fab menu is available. They are kid friendly and Robert, a co-owner, came and checked on us several times. They are hugely eco-friendly and just a delightful place to eat.

2  Thank njpirate62