“The groundhog was the high light”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Front Royal Diner

Front Royal Diner
Ranked #35 of 87 Restaurants in Front Royal
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Used to be villa guisseppe Italian restaurant.
Midlothian, Virginia, United States
“The groundhog was the high light”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I felt the food was blah and unimaginative. Not bad. Just dull. The service was fine though. Country craft decor that's not my style either. There is a huge groundhog that lives in the woods next door. A neighbor lady feeds it and some stray cats. That was fun seeing that!

• Visited September 2013

Front Royal, Virginia
“Disappointing diner experience”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Our family had dinner Monday evening. The place was busy but there seemed to be only 2 servers on. We waited 20 to be greeted by a server after being seated only after we flagged her down. She told us "I'll be right with you, " which wasn't true. We ordered but no food arrived until about 50 min after we ordered for the 4 of us. This was the second time during our time there I was about to leave but then the food arrived. My monte Christi and daughter's wrap were adequate. My husband's chicken cordon blue plate had 3 frozen small chicken breasts covered with dry round ham slices and square cheese. Looked like something a grade school cook would make. My other daughter got the open face roast need sandwich. It was a mounded starchy and globed mess. She found it unappetizing to look at (I did too) and would not eat it. We asked for it to be removed from our bill and this was taken care of without a fuss. We rarely saw our server the whole time. We left disappointed and hoped the meal would settle ok except my youngest who refused to get anything else. Not worth the value price! And why is the trip advisor picture of the old Royal Dairy like it represents the Front Royal Diner? This is not even near the Front Royal Diner

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank mldbld
Linden, Virginia
“Rude unhappy waitstaff on top of mediocre food”
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Ordered a unsweet tea, got a fountain coke, had a few sips of it as i was parched, then when told the waitress she went to the back and i heard a loud "well WHY did she drink it THEN?!"... Ugh, rude nasty people. The food was unremarkable in any way. Its obvious they dont care at all about customer service, so what is the point? I never will go back and this sounds bad, but i would not be surprised if they went under.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Em B
Maryland
“A true diner experience”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Go here for a great, country diner meal, whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Servers and staff are welcoming and treat you like family serving good sized helpings of home-style food.

Visited August 2013
Happy Creek, VA
“2nd time's the charm, or breakfast fare is easier than dinner....”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I've reviewed dinner at the Front Royal Diner and was not very happy with the experience. Since this place is less than 5 miles from my house we decided we had to stop by on a Sunday morning for breakfast and see what kind of experience we had since breakfast fare utilizes basic cooking skills. We arrived and were immediately seated. The decor is odd and could use some updating but I'm here to try the food. It became obvious that the wait staff has no direction as all of them looked at us but nobody came over to take our order (restaurants I've worked at either dedicate a section per server when it's busy, or have a table rotation when business is slow). Finally our drink order (coffee and ice tea) was taken and our drinks were brought out (Coke and ice tea). Oopsie! We ordered a variety of breakfast and lunch items to see what we received. We ordered a 2 egg breakfast wtih sausage, home fries, side of biscuits with sausage gravy, a cup of chili, a BLT, and a side of corned beef hash. Our food was delivered in 20 minutes while the table next to us that was already seated when we arrived was still sitting there with no food. (As a side note another table in our section walked out and I think it was because nobody took their order.)
The eggs were cooked to order, the home fries were crisped, but the sausage were obviously striaght from the freezer. Not sure what brand they were but they had fake grill marks on them and they were basically heated pre-formed pieces of meat. The biscuit was OK but I must say the sausage gravy was very good. It did not have the sheen that canned gravies usually have and there were real pieces of sausage in it. The chili was OK and had decent flavor, noticeable pieces of vegetables, and lots of beans. The BLT was spot on but how hard is it to put cooked bacon on toast with some tomato and lettuce. We did note the lettuce was crisp and not wilted so that was a plus. The corned beef has was from a can but it was well crisped on the flat top.
Overall the food was good and we will probably return again but only for breakfast. The pictures in the menu are ridiculous and I would love to order the surf and turf and see if it actually resembled the photos. They have New York omelettes on the menu and since I'm from New York I had to ask what made a New York omelette. Our server said that is was the ingredients and when I stated that those of the Jewish faith would not eat a "New York style" ham omelette I was informed that she did not make the menu.
Service was eclectic and disorganized so Forrest Gump would be happy since life is like a box of chocolates.

• Visited May 2013