“Play and Stay”

Blue Ridge Shadows Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Playing here, our customers know they will receive one of the best possible golfing experiences available. This is due to our attentive staff and the systems we have in place to provide excellent customer service at every opportunity. From the Bag drop, to the First Tee, to the maintenance crewmember, to the General Manager, to the grill attendant, the focus of our staff is to serve the customer and help them enjoy our facilities to the fullest, so they will tell their friends and want to return time and time again. Thoroughly renowned for the service we provide, outing coordinators and event planners will constantly seek us out. We will dazzle them with our attentiveness and concern for the success of their events. Coming to our club will be a sensation that their attendees will talk about for years to come. Designed by Tom Clark, Blue Ridge Shadows Golf Club opened in March 2007 to rave reviews by Regional and National Golf Publications. Golf Digest Magazine ranked us #6 “Best New Affordable Public Courses” in 2007, and the Washington Post named us a ‘Natural Treasure’. In 2010 and 2011, Blue Ridge Shadows was ranked #4 Best Courses you can Play in Virginia by Golfweek Magazine and ranked #32 ‘Women-friendly courses in America’ by Golf Digest Woman Magazine!
Alexandria, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Play and Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I just spent a long weekend playing the course and had a great time. The course is beautiful and challenging. Strategic shots definitely needed over pure distance on many holes. Also the Holiday Inn was awesome. I was very surprised how nice it was. By the way, the restaurant at the clubhouse smokes their own meats and serves amazing pulled pork and brisket. All in all a great experience.

Visited July 2013
BlueRidgeShadows, General Manager at Blue Ridge Shadows Golf Club, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Nick 703: Thank you for your kind words. We take pride in all aspects of the experience at Blue Ridge Shadows, and are very happy to hear you enjoyed your time here. We hope to see you again soon! Who knows what we may have smokin' In The Shadows for your next visit!!
Thank you!

Dulles, Virginia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great course; good service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Clubhouse staff was cordial and accommodating to get food prepared in time for our tee time.

We had to cut short at 16th due to thunderstorms but the course design is challenging and scenic.

Interesting Par 3s and elevation separation from the tee boxes to the greens.

Great views of Blue Ridge mountains as you play.

Will go back when possible.

Visited July 2013
BlueRidgeShadows, General Manager at Blue Ridge Shadows Golf Club, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I would encourage you to bring a group back out and play Blue Ridge Shadows again. The course is in wonderful condition, and now is the perfect time to play. We hope to see you again soon 'In the Shadows'!
Bethesda, Maryland
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Good course”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I'm a low-handicapper who played from the longest tees, where the course runs 7,200 yards. I thought it was a challenging course that required some interesting shots. There is a 250 yd par 3 and a whopper of a 489 yard par 4, so bring your long irons and hybrids. The greens rolled nicely but were very slow, perhaps because of recent heavy rains. The marshal needed to do a better job of pushing play along. I had to call the pro shop to complain on the back nice where it was 10 minutes between shots at times. The scenery is nice but unfortunately a major highway borders the property. You can see it pretty much the whole time. We got a good deal on the greens fees on line. My wife is a beginner and she struggled a bit with the course. All in all, a good course that I will play again with friends who are experienced golfers but she probably won't.

Visited June 2013
Thank you for your comments and kind words. Our greens have certainly picked up speed and the course is in excellent condition. We are always looking for ways to make the course more enjoyable for ladies and the higher handicappers and offer 5 sets of tees. We have also been named one of America's Top 50 Women-Friendly Courses, and I would encourage you to visit us again soon. I'm sure the second time around will be much more enjoyable for both of you.
Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your experience... we truly appreciate it!
Binghamton, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Nightmare Golf Package”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Been going to Blue Ridge Shadows for 5 years but no more. Made our reservations for a 4 day golf package, complete with a $200 deposit ( $50 per player ), one month prior to our our golf trip. Upon arrival, not only could they not find our reservations, there was no $200 deposit to be found anywhere. They finally put us in rooms with a guarantee that when the manager came in, everything would get resolved. The manager assured us in the morning that everything was taken care of. That afternoon, I checked my charge card account, and they had charged my account $455 instead of the package price balance of $318. Two days later it was corrected. Other golfers that we talked to at breakfast said the exact same thing happened to them only even more deposit money had strangely disappeared and still not found. To cap everything off, the next day after I got home from the trip, they had charged my charge card an additional $50. Had I not called there to complain, they never would have taken the $50 off. As much as I like the golf course, I will never trust them enough to play there again. Too bad, because it was a great place to play golf.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank collinsjack7
BlueRidgeShadows, General Manager at Blue Ridge Shadows Golf Club, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Please accept my sincere apology for any errors we may have made during your visit to Blue Ridge Shadows. Thank you for letting us know about the problems you encountered during your visit and please allow me to address the issues you raised.
The miscommunication regarding your package has been addressed by our management team with our front desk staff. We have reviewed all procedures regarding customer check-in, assignment of deposits received and reinforced the importance of making sure all front desk and golf staff are following proper protocol.
Regarding the overbilling of your credit card account, when a customer uses a credit card or debit/check card at check-in it is standard policy to 'pre-authorize' the card for an amount greater than the estimated charges. This process is necessary to allow for potential additional charges during your stay such as restaurant charges or long distance phone charges. With credit cards, these pre-authorizations tend to show up as a 'pending charge' until final settlement occurs at check-out. However, with debit/check cards these funds are removed from the account and held by the bank after the authorization occurs. Upon check-out, the actual charges are settled, and the pre-authorization is removed by the bank. This sometimes may take a few business days depending on the policies of the cardholder bank. Guests are notified of this procedure at check-in and via the registration card at the front desk. If our staff did not do enough to inform you of this industry standard procedure at check-in, I apologize.
Regarding the issue regarding deposits, we strive to make certain that charges to customer folios are correct, and when we make a mistake we correct those mistakes as soon as practically possible.
To conclude, it appears from your comments that other than the issue you had regarding the settlement of your package account, your group had an good time and enjoyed the golf course. We strive every day to exceed customer expectations, and in your case we did not. Once again, please accept my sincere apology for the issues you encountered during your stay, which have been addressed with staff. My sincere objective is to be able to earn your business and hope you will stay with us again.
Feel free to contact me at 540.631.0251, and I thank you again for your comments.
Fairfax Station, VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good golf”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Fun and challenging course. The condition of the course was very good dispite the rain early that morning. Be careful on the first and 10th holes. We were disapointed that the huge waterfall at the last hole was not working. What a pretty end usually. We really enjoyed ourselves

Visited April 2013
1 Thank cmlough
BlueRidgeShadows, General Manager at Blue Ridge Shadows Golf Club, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and your visit!! The pump that services the waterfall behind the 18th green is undergoing some preventive maintenance and will be operational in the near future. We hope to see you back 'In the Shadows" again soon!