“Perhaps the Best Japanese Restaurant”

Mikado Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar
Ranked #21 of 93 Restaurants in Front Royal
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2010

This place is an incredible find. We had driven out of DC, on our way to the Shenandoah Valley. We got hungry, checked out nearby restaurants on our Garmin and picked this one. It is fabulous!
Mikado is in a new shopping plaza, with many other restaurants. They have been open for about 18 months. The place is so beautiful, fresh and modern that I asked if it was a new chain restaurant. It is not. It is one of a kind.
They have traditional teppanyaki (hibachi) style dining - eight people sitting around the grille with the master chef putting doing the slice and dice/ shrimp toss show. But we wanted to save time and keep moving, so we took a table in the sushi bar.
The waitress was authentic Japanese, beautiful and gracious. She gave us a small complimentary portion of edamame when she brought our drinks. We had seaweed salad, miso soup, California roll, and Rainbow roll.
The presentation was very nice, with the seaweed salad in a ceramic boat, and the rainbow roll presented with the pieces arranged in a circle with a central flower carved from carrot slices.
Halfway through our meal the sushishan sent over a half portion of volcano roll "on the house". It was excellent with salmon, squid and real crab (not crabstick) in a slightly mayo sauce. Delicious.
The prices are excellent. Miso for $1.50, Asahi Beer for $4.50, seaweed salad for 3.95 - and a larger and fresher portion than we get at other places. My rainbow roll was only 8.50, instead fo the 9.95 or more I usually pay. The quality of food was as good as I have ever had anywhere - fresh and perfectly prepared.
We have tried a lot of Japanese places with very mixed results. Many are dark, greasy, unattentive or over-priced. This place is physically gorgeous, clean, and gracious. The prices run about $1 cheaper per item than other similar restaurants. In addition we received a complimentary portion of edamame - better sushi bars provide a small portion of something when you sit at the sushi bar, but most do not. In addition we got a generous portion of volcano roll for free, and it was better than most.
If this restaurant was in my town it would have a line out the door, and I would be there at least once a week.
If you are passing along I-66, or even down I-81 near Middletown/Strasburg, VA - stop by this place. We drive north and south along I-81 - and I will take the 6.5 mile detour off I-81 to visit Mikado every chance I get.

1  Thank David H

Reviewed July 10, 2010

My husband and I really enjoy eating at this restaurant. The sushi is always fresh and the sushi chefs are very nice. We get free sushi every time we go. They also have an alcoholic drink for 3.25 every day. I've never been disappointed!

1  Thank MyDreamTrip_01-2010
Reviewed July 10, 2010

My family has a Friday night tradition of stopping by Mikado for sushi on the way to our farm in Middletown VA. We've always enjoyed the quality and freshness of it and the creative options. Last night we ordered 6-7 different rolls and they were magnificent. The presentation was lovingly and artistically put together, sushi so fresh it almost wriggled, and the taste was sublime. The hibatchi food is pretty good not great, but this is some of the best sushi I eat anywhere, especially for being 70 miles from DC.

1  Thank muzzenheimer