“Really disappointed”

Dining options: Reservations
Description: 540-631-3454
“Really disappointed”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

decided to go here based on tripadvisor reviews . Sorry .... Sorry.. Sorry.,I really wanted to like this place.It was almost empty when we arrived at 5pm on a sat. My wife ordered a drink from the menu provided and was informed they did not have an alcohol lisc. only beer and wine ,but the drink menu had multiple choices for interesting mixed drinks. (Strike one!) .I ordered sushi and she ordered tempura shrimp. The sushi was acceptable (only) but the shrimp was supposed to be lightly breaded,it was not ,it was heavily breaded and the breading was not cooked through, leaving a very mushy taste to a dish that should have some crunch .(strike two) My wife refused to finish her dish so I tried it (It was not good).I excused myself to the mens room , that was not so clean so early on a saturday and there were no towels ,paper or otherwise to dry ones hands (strike three) .I am not permitted to take my wife here ever again! I hope we caught them on a bad night ,but we wont be back . We will go to Macados next time

• Visited July 2013

Front Royal, Virginia
“Great Sushi in Front Royal?”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Well yes there is great Sushi in Front Royal, and it is at Yamafuji! they have specials you will not believe, and if your lucky they even give out samples of something special they want you to try. Go here if your in the mood for Sushi

Visited April 2013
Happy Creek, VA
“Superb sushi experience in a small town”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I've read the positive reviews of this restaurant and have driven by it's location on Chester St hundreds of times so finally it was time to stop in and give it a try. We went on a Thursday evening and were immediately seated. The sushi selection is pretty extensive so we ordered a variety of items to get a good cross section of the menu. They also have a nice sake and Japanese beer menu to compliment their food. We ordered the baby tako appetizer, a soft shell crab hand roll, some salmon and yellowtail nigiri, a spicy tuna roll, and a crab (not imitation steam baked yada yada) California roll. There were 4 or 5 other tables in the restaurant but our tako app came out in short time. I was expecting small slices of tentacle but received miniature whole octopi. I was a bit taken back at first but it was what I ordered and being adventurous I dug in. The mini octopi pop in the mouth and don't have the true rubber texture of tentacle, and the sauce they used was a mix of barbeque and soy so it was a nice experience. Shortly after our entrees came out. Presentation was a bit bland and is the only reason I won't rate this restaurant as excellent as part of a sushi meal is enjoying the artistic presentation of the seafood. The soft shell crab hand roll was excellent. The crab was fresh and perfectly cooked. The salmon and yellowtail nigiri consisted of nice size cuts of fish placed over bite sized forms of rice, not the other way around as I've experienced at other restaurants. The fish was tasty and served at a temperature that allowed you to savor the flavor and not simply chew on an ice cold piece of flesh. The spicy tuna roll was excellent. They did not use the typical spicy mayo or soy product that I've had at other restaurants, rather they used a spicy oil infusion which lit up the mouth. Very unique and very tasty. Finally the real crab California roll was worth the price. The flavor was real and coupled with the veggies it was fantastic.
Overall I would recommend this restaurant to others and we will definitely be going back to try some of their other offerings. If they put a little more effort into the presentation of their dishes then I would happily change my rating to excellent as that is the only item that keeps me from giving them that rating.

• Visited May 2013
Front Royal, Virginia
“Amazing Food, Great Service & The Personal Touch”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Plain and simple, this place is soooooooooooooo much better (not to mention affordable) then their area competitor (whom I shall not name out of consideration). The lunch and dinner boxes never leave you hungry, the staff is friendly and happy to see you and the sushi is fresh and divine. My 99 year old grandfather requests this place often and will tolerate 30 minutes in the car just to go there. In my book, that says it all. I'm lucky to live have them in town. I've not had their hibachi but have been there numerous times for the lunch and dinner boxes both on weekdays and weekends.

• Visited April 2013
“A new experience”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I'm not a fan of sushi, but my sister is, so we went here for lunch. We both remembered it from when it was the "Royal Dairy", so the transformation into this up-scale looking Japanese sushi restaurant was quite a change to be sure! She did order the sushi, and liked whatever it was that she ate. She also loved the miso soup. I had a panko coated chicken breast with a nice sauce on it, accompanied by what I think was pickled radish, and a little cabbage slaw with a spicy dressing. All was very good. I chose to get the salad with my meal and it was just fair - not a lot of it, and way too much of a very good sesame dressing. I thought their prices were a bit high, but perhaps not, since the bulk of the menu is sushi-oriented, and I have no clue how much sushi costs. The nicest surprise, however, came at the end of the meal. A lovely carved, very cold and succulent orange, cut so that it was easy to eat. A PERFECT palate cleanser and end to the meal. Would I go back. Maybe - with friends who liked sushi, but I'm still not ready to take the plunge!

• Visited April 2013