“Elegance and Charm”

Ranked #2 of 11 Front Royal B&B and Inns
Kensington, Maryland
“Elegance and Charm”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hospitality was impecable and our clean accommodations were elegant. Breakfast was plentious and varied with abundant fresh fruit. We enjoyed our stay thoroughly and plan a return visit soon. Thank you Phil and Sandy. Peace, Ruth

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 23, 2013

It is a very old, historic house that is well kept, modernized and beautifully decorated. The hosts, Sandy and Phil, were wonderful hosts and really thought of any amenities that would enhance your stay. They had great suggestions for local places to visit or restaurants to dine at. The breakfasts were very good. The house also has lovely gardens to stroll in and a nice front porch to sit on. Overall, we had a great experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 13, 2013

When booking our trip to Washington D.C., we decided to spend a couple of days in Northern Virginia and visit Shenandoah N.P. We chose the Lackawanna B&B as our starting point and were not disappointed. After a long flight from Amsterdam, we received a warm welcome from Sandy and Phil. The beautiful historic home and quiet surroundings really made us feel at home. We stayed two nights in the Rose Room, which is an elegantly decorated and spacious bedroom with a very comfortable bed. We were also pleasantly surprised by the excellent cooked breakfast in the morning. My wife and I enjoyed the complimentary wine while sitting on the porch in the late afternoon.

Conclusion: definitely worth visiting again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Williamsville, New York, United States
Reviewed May 10, 2013

While booking the room I explained that we had two children and the person I was talking to agreed to wave the charge for extra guests. in the background I hear a snarling voice say "can we talk about this!" then after giving them my credit card info, the phone disconnects. when I called back they simply said, "deal's off" as if we were playing a game.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cristin F
charlesVirginia, Owner at Lackawanna B&B, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Lackawanna B&B has always welcomed the reviews we get. The good, the bad and the ugly, as we feel we can always learn from every criticism.

However, this review is a total distortion of the facts and the only thing we can learn from this is Seller Beware.

Please allow me the opportunity to present to you the facts of this event.

The customer had called several times in the preceding days and talked with my husband, Phil, about booking a room. At no time during these discussions did she say that children would be included in the reservation.

When she called on the day in question she asked to speak to Phil. If I had known that she wanted to book a room, I would have taken the call myself as Phil was suffering with a bad tooth and waiting to go into the dentist for a root canal.

As the reservation process continued, I heard Phil say that he would not charge her for the children. I asked (according to this lady snarled) Phil how old the children were. The answer was 9 and 7. I was trying to remind Phil that we do not take children under 10 when the phone went dead. Since the conversation had ended, I reminded Phil that our website and policy is that we do not take children under 10 and it would not be possible to accommodate this reservation since we had guests already booked. It has always been our policy that if we do take younger children it is only when we have no other reservations; the reason being that many people come to our bed & breakfast to have a break from children and it is our desire that our guests enjoy their stay.

When the lady called back saying she had been disconnected, I was in front of Phil and heard him say, “ I am sorry but we are not going to be able to accommodate you”; followed by yes I am sorry we can’t do it but it is not possible.”. He never said “the deals off – as if they were playing a game”; and this statement is just not true.

I feel he should have explained to the caller that the reason we could not book her reservation was because we do not take small children, however, Phil said he just did not feel like talking because of his tooth.

I am sorry if she feels we were rude, and I guess since she did not get what she wanted that is what it seemed like.

The guidelines for our bed & breakfast are very clear that we do not take small children. If you are going to try and do something other than our normal accommodations that information should be brought up in the beginning. This lady has never stayed at our b&b so the only interaction she had with us was by phone. If she was treated poorly, I would say it is because she was not forthcoming about who would be included in the reservation and tried to make a reservation for something other than what we offer.

Bed & Breakfast facilities require a very personal and interactive relationship with your guests. We very much value our customers and their satisfactions if important to us. We try to accommodate our guests in every way we can, however, in order for it to be completely successful all of the time all parties have to be fair and candid.

We have had guests make a reservation for a couple show up at our door with small children; we will not accommodate this reservation. We will try and help them find a facility that will take children, however, in fairness to the guests already here, we would not honor the reservation. It has become apparent that people are very offended when you will not accept children and I have no idea how to make that potential customer happy.
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Nicely restored historic home with modern amenities, and beautiful chestnut woodwork. Sandy and Phil are great hosts, helpful with suggestions for our "things to see and do " list. They prepared an excellent breakfast with a fire going in the dining room fireplace on the cool Sunday morning. My wife took her morning tea on the front porch.
We'd go back!

Room Tip: 1st choice would be the spacious Rose room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lorton, Virginia, United States
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was our first bed and breakfast that my husband and I have been to. We arrived Saturday evening, Phil and Sandy were both very welcoming, they made sure we knew exactly where we needed to go if we needed to leave the house. Phil's camera collection is def something to check out, my husband and I couldn't get enough of it. The breakfast was amazing we def enjoyed it. The room was also very cozy and just what we needed to get some R&R. Thank you guys we will def be seeing you again.

Room Tip: We loved the j. webster, it was just the right size for us and the bathroom was a good size as well...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Tucked into the folds on the outskirts of Front Royal, this B&B was truly impressive.

The building itself is splendid, and although it appears to be 1900s painted brick structure.
The grounds are enjoyable, but need some upkeep.

Food: Breakfast was Excellent
Service: Friendly
Beds: Comfortable
Towels: Ample
Bathroom: Nice & Clean
Rooms: Large
Front porch: Great place to realx and enjoy the evening
Parking: Small gravel parking lot
Garden: Small one adjacent
Location: Just north of town
Price: Reasonable for a B&B

Would recommend.
Would go back

* we actually stayed here in July 2011 for wife's birthday weekend, but they weren't listed on TripAdvisor back then

Room Tip: Ask for directions to hiking trails. The old fire watch tower was a nice short hike (wife was pregna...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 10 in Front Royal
Relax Inn Front Royal
Relax Inn Front Royal
#6 of 10 in Front Royal

Been to Lackawanna B&B? Share your experiences!