“People who shouldn't own a B&B”
Review of Lackawanna B&B

Lackawanna B&B
Ranked #2 of 10 Front Royal B&B and Inns
Falls Church, Virginia
“People who shouldn't own a B&B”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

They were darn right surley, inhospitable and not the least bit nice from the get go. We seemed like more of a bother than paying guests. Pretty sure neither of them cracked a smile during our stay. I would never stay here again, EVER! And, the room needed repairing of some damage from some sort of old roof leak. Very obvious.

Room Tip: Don't bother. Stay anywhere else.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shannon B
charlesVirginia, Owner at Lackawanna B&B, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
This is a totally delightful review to receive as I felt it coming. The couple were unhappy and unpleasant when they arrived and after trying to negotiate their various needs, apparently unsatisfactorily to them, they were just as unhappy when they left.

Let me list the ways. First when I greeted them with a smile and hello I was met with a steely gaze and advised that they would not be here for breakfast as they were both in extensive races very early the next morning and would have to leave early and eat at 6 o’clock. That is unless we could fix them breakfast at that time. Breakfast is served between 8:30 and 9:00 and since we get up at 7 o’clock to do that, I advised them the best I could do would be a coffee set up and ready for them to start when they come down and fruit and a granola bars. No that was not necessary they said as they had their own food in the car. The next request was someplace where they could put their “very expensive bikes” as they would like to get them out of the car. I made several suggestions which did not meet with their approval as they wanted the bikes in a secure location. Their one suggestion to bring the bikes into the house and up to their room did not meet with a very positive response from me for sure as they would be going through the center of the house and upstairs over off white carpeting. I then offered for them to put them in my studio in our back yard, where they would be locked up. I asked them if they were going to be there all weekend as I had planned to do some work in my studio and they said they would get them out the next day.

I even talked to the lady of the couple the day they returned from their races when she told me they were very bruised from an extensive race. I asked if they had plans for dinner and she showed me a flyer for a hamburger place and asked what that was like. said I was not sure as I had never seen that place but went in search of my husband to find out where it was and then reported back to her the location and made a recommendation close to that one that I knew had excellent hamburgers.

The following morning after their early departure and no breakfast, we noticed that their car was in the parking lot and so we set the table to include them for breakfast and prepared extra food for them. Breakfast was again at 8:30-9:30. At 8:30 the lady of the couple appeared in the kitchen saying she wanted to give us back our key. We said, we prepared breakfast for you as we saw your car outback. The response was oh no we are meeting friends for breakfast. Goodbye. My response was ok. Thank you and goodbye. I did think since I had talked to them the previous day and they came in early the night before, gee it would have been nice if you had let us know that you absolutely would not be here for breakfast. It was a terrible waste of good food to throw away.

Now about that leak in the bedroom. Yes there was a leak in the roof last winter. Yes there is wallpaper stain on the very corner of the ceiling of one part of the room. We fixed the room last year and were going to do the wallpaper this year when we were sure the leak had stopped. We were just inspected by the Bed & Breakfast Association of Va and received an excellent rating. The house was built in 1869 and we have restored it fully and as you will see from our previous rating it is quite well maintained.

I would think this comment should have a heading “People who should not stay at a
B& B, instead of “People who should not own a B&B”. We are glad to hear they never plan to come to our b&b again.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed February 29, 2012

What a beautiful house, with sweet owners, Phil and Sandy. It was quiet and serene with a nice overlook to the river. There is a big front porch with chairs to enjoy the view. We stayed in the J. Webster room, and were the only visitors that night. The whole house was elegant and charming. They have several working fireplaces, a parlor room with a tucked away bar, a living room with a puzzle ready to work on, and a great breakfast room downstairs. We enjoyed chatting with Phil and Sandy, seeing his antique cameras in the house, and soaking up the countryside. I would recommend this to anyone - and hope to go back in the warmer weather to take full advantage of the porch!

Room Tip: J. Webster room was beautiful with a great view. I think the other rooms may be a bit larger.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Poolesville, Maryland, United States
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Spent New Years 2012. Like visiting a favorite aunt, comfortable, homey, seemingly familar, yet private.

Room Tip: There are three bedrooms. One is a suite (bath and anti-room across the hall from bedroom. The other...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Norfolk
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Our hosts were very sweet and very talented people. Their restoration of the house was amazing and their cooking skills were quite impressive. My sister and I enjoyed our "busy mom" get away and would definitely visit again. If you go, don't forget to take a walk down by the river.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Went for Shenandoah Park and fall colors. Phil and his wife Sandy were great and even invited us to join them for dinner at Element. a great restaurant in Front Royal. A treasure trove of information about the history, area and things to do. Has lovely garden and pool(closed for season. Stayed 2 nights and had wonderful breakfast and had choices selected the night before. This is a winner!

Room Tip: Had the Rose room. Newly done with wonderful shower.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Wonderful hospitality, elegant and relaxing, and fantastic breakfast!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Lovely house, really spacious bedrooms, wonderfully appointed. Delicious breakfast. Friendly innkeepers, knowledgeable about the area. Convenient to all of Skyline Drive area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
#3 of 9 in Front Royal
Quality Inn Skyline Drive
Quality Inn Skyline Drive
#7 of 9 in Front Royal

Been to Lackawanna B&B? Share your experiences!