“Barely Acceptable 2.5 (C-)”

Quality Inn Skyline Drive
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Front Royal
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 6, 2012

There is a reason there are no photos of their rooms online and I wish I would have taken one or two but I wasn't thinking of a review when we stayed here. I would really give this a 2.5. We stayed in one of their "hot tub" rooms. It was a Choice Rewards special with a bottle of wine. It had a king-sized bed, hot tub, fridge, microwave and TV. We were initially supposed to stay in an inn but they had a family emergency and would not be there to let us in till late—so we altered our plans and stayed here—not much to choose from... I've stayed in a number of hotels over the years and this was not one of the good highlights but it certainly was not the worst. The room was okay clean for what it was—a room out of the 70's. The mattress was a concave bowl but the sheets and cover appeared clean. The hot tub was next to the bed and seemed relatively new and sat up on a tiled platform—definitely the newest thing in the room, except for maybe the flat screen TV. Surprising I noticed while I was laying in bed that there were no sprinklers on the ceiling—anywhere—so the last time they remodeled was before they required them—when was that? The refrigerator was under the sink next to the bathroom—my wife and I both banged our toes on it several times and made it difficult for me to shave stretching over the appliance. There was a small safe in the room but too small for my laptop. The bathroom was acceptable but once again not anything special—the water in the shower worked and I was not up to my ankles in water while showering—so I was good. There was also a zebra-striped covered chair when we first entered the room by the door on the right. I was afraid to sit in it, Lord knows what was growing on it..it also was not in the best location directly in front of the door. On Saturday we got someone in the room above us—yes I could tell because it was like living in an apartment in my twenties. Every step they took was a loud creak and I thought they were going to come through the floor—I am assuming they were heavy—I have rarely heard someone in the floor above me in a hotel—not the best experience overall. For what I paid for the room for two nights would have easily paid for a decent room with a view on the water at the beach so I was expecting a nicer room—however I can't compare it to other accommodations locally because this was my first stay in the area. The Hotel did have a small workout room across from the front desk. I usually use the workout rooms in hotels but it just didn't call to me—a little cramped. There was also a breakfast included in their attached small dining room. It was edible with folded scrambled eggs, sausage, toast, the usual drinks and oatmeal and raisin bran. I don't remember fruit but we only did it one morning and I just don't recall. The staff was friendly and accommodating in both the hotel and dining room. Wine was supposed to be supplied with the room according to the Choice Rewards site when my wife made the plans online. They were not aware of it, but did go out and buy us one...It wasn't wine but a bad bottle of champagne? It was terrible but it did not figure into my room review, I wasn't expecting much anyway but would have preferred wine—I left it in the fridge. This hotel is in desperate need of a serious makeover to get it a few decades closer to acceptable. Overall in terms of hotels this would be more along the line of a middle of the road Motel 6 on the New Jersey Turnpike not a $$$ room that I want to spend a romantic getaway with my wife for our anniversary. Once again it was not our original plan—that is why we stepped up to a hot tub room—which definitely was the highlight of the hotel visit—My wife and I used it every day and if we closed our eyes we could pretend we were somewhere else. We made the best of it.

Room Tip: Pick the third floor, that way you can't hear the people above you : ) The hotel is located at a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matt B
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn Skyline Drive

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We're Choice regular customers but we're definitely not a fan of this Quality Inn. We're really not picky, just want a clean comfortable room with general amenities and everything working. I don't ever like giving a bad review, but we just can't tolerate a lack of cleanliness. We got there late and the clerk put us in a room near a busy intersection and we didn't want to risk a sleepless night so we asked to change and the clerk did. BUT we were shocked at the lack of cleaniness in the 1st room, the coverlet and comforter were dirty and there were spots on the carpet. I have to say that the decor was surprisingly updated but that couldn't compensate for the dirtiness. Well, like I said, it was late and we thought another room in a quiet area might be cleaner. Wrong! The clerk switched us to one in the back and it was even dirtier. We always check for bedbugs no matter the hotel. No bedbugs but we found a huge roach crawling up the bedskirt on one of the beds! My son was terrified that one would crawl on him in the middle of the night! And there were crumbs all around the bed underneath the bedskirt of both beds and the comforter and coverlet were even dirtier than in the other room. The microwave looked like it had never been wiped off because I took a wipe and cleaned it and it was filthy! The carpet had huge spots and the walls in the room and bathroom had splatters of what looked like human fluids. I really don't want to know what they were. The shower curtain looked like it hadn't been washed in a while and I kept wondering if the last persons scum was still on it and getting on us. Also, the drain didn't drain properly and the water built up ankle deep every time we took a shower. My husband went back to the front desk with the roach and also complained about the dirtiness of the room. He told the desk clerk and she said all she could do was take the written complaint. She couldn't discount us or anything. She said to talk to the manager/owner named Sam in the morning. We actually called other hotels but they were all full being Labor Day so we stayed. Well, we visited the front desk a couple times the next morning and "Sam" was never in. We asked for new everything with our linens and asked them to re-clean the room. Well, they did re-clean the room but they still didn't get some stuff like the microwave. It was much better, but I still couldn't get over the stains on the carpet and the stuff on the walls. We tried for the next 2 mornings and then in the afternoons to talk to "Sam" but he was never in (the clerks kept telling us to come back). He never bothered to call us or even leave a message for us about our complaint. Oh, the lobby smelled musty and the stairwell smelled really really bad. I had to hold my breath every time we walked through it. They need new mattresses, also, my son and I kept rolling to the center of the bed. I do have to say the staff in the breakfast area were really nice and accomidating esp. on keeping breakfast open late on the holiday. The desk staff were generally nice, too. They really need to manage and train their housekeeping staff better and give the rooms a good overall deep cleaning occasionally other than a regular cleaning. We really didn't appreciate the manager/owner not acknowledging our complaints. I would not stay at this hotel again. I just want a clean, quiet, comfortable room and this hotel doesn't fill the clean part.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Pattyohhh
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stopped the night here touring Virginia. A nice clean room with plenty of room and friendly and helpful staff. Good value.

1  Thank Keith L
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Nor very modern, but then again, neither is Front Royal. Room was clean, Quiet area and mannerly front desk clerk. We stayed ere 3 nights and I would stay here again. Very, very close to Skyline Drive entrance.

Room Tip: Very reasonable rates, good service, nice clean room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Christi B
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We booked two rooms for two nights thru Expedia and asked that the rooms be next to each other. Using Expedia was our first mistake. The desk clerk said they never received the request from Expedia and could not rearrange our rooms - we weren't even in the same building! Elderly gent at the desk must have been new bless his heart. There is a concrete balcony on all floors in need of some help - cracked and tilts downward! Bed was good and there was hot water, but would not stay here again.

2  Thank Beth G
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Wanting to be near the Skyline access road, we choose Quality Inn. The front desk staff was helpful and friendly. The room is a bit dated, but was clean. The motel was quiet and restaurants were within walking distance. For a quick overnight stay, this fit the bill. I would stay here again.

1  Thank pat c
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Made a reservation by phone thru choice hotels. Arrived late afternoon found old hotel from early 60's style,with bums hanging out in front of lobby. Went into lobby, lobby stunk and had small couch in it that looked like someone had bathed in dirty oil and then rolled on the couch. Did not need to see anymore. Person at check-in was too busy on phone to help guest.I finally insisted that he ignore the phone long enough to cancel my reservation which he did, and i will not be back.

Room Tip: Rooms on southside are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winchester
Ramada Strasburg
Ramada Strasburg
#2 of 5 in Strasburg

Been to Quality Inn Skyline Drive? Share your experiences!