“fun and nice place to go when hot outside”
Review of Skyline Caverns

Skyline Caverns
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Front Royal
More attraction details
Owner description: Caves in the Shenandoah Valley that feature anthodites, rare rock formations.
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Took a friend that was visiting from Nebraska. He enjoyed the tour as did my wife and I. Our group had all ages and everybody had fun. The guide was great. One of the few caverns where you can take pictures. It cost $16, but you can get $2 off each ticket with AAA discount. I also, saw a sign about an internet coupon discount. Worth the trip.

All reviews
"rock formations"
"year round"
"rainy day"

Reviewed April 28, 2008

I went there, very fun place. Our tour guide had great personality. And he mixed humor in with education. There was a light show that has religious content, but the tour guide told us before, so if you don't want to see it then you wouldn't have to. If you go into any caverns, they will tell you that you cannot touch any of the formations, but Skyline caverns has this very large formation that fell from the ceiling, and they let you rub that. There was a lot of cool looking formations, and they made them look awesome with colored lighting. What was really cool was the anthodites, these are the only caves that have them (I think). You are not allowed to touch them, but you can see them really well. And around the end of the tour, we saw a stream where a rare breed of beetle was found. The tour guide himself was pretty young, 16-20 maybe, but he knew what he was talking about. The pathway was a little out hand, there was a few muddy areas. Also there was some steep paths and low overhangs. The tour lasted about an hour, and cost $16. my two kids got in free though, because they were under 6 years old, that was good.

They had a small train ride too, of coarse my kids wanted to ride it. It was very slow and bumpy, and there really nothing to see. They have a mirror maze too, that was fun for my kids, but kinda gave me a headache

1  Thank boomamama
Reviewed April 27, 2008

Today, 4/27/08, we visited Skyline Caverns. Despite my concerns about proselytizing based on prior reviews, I experienced absolutely NO religious propaganda, reference, or mention during my tour. It appears that if there was any content along those lines, it has been excised from the attraction.

It was, in fact, much better than anticipated. While there are a lot of lighting, cables, hardware, and construction in the caverns, the formations and points of interest are intact and very interesting to observe. By far, the anthrodites were a phenomenal sight for anyone interested in caves.

The tour is quite long and worth the money, being one of the best showcaves local to Northern Virginia. Their gift shop is quite large and schlocky, but clean and friendly. We also partook of their dragon-themed Mirror Maze which, while a bit small and simple for adults, would probably be worth the fee for children. Additionally, the location features a miniature train ride.

3  Thank rigeltiger
Reviewed June 24, 2007

I didnt really care when the tour guide mentioned that a few stalagmites looked like Mary, Joeseph and Jesus. OK, whatever I though. Then the "Angel Wing" formation didnt matter to me much - we were in the South afterall. It was around the time that the 15 yr old tour guide we had switched off the lights and disappeared for a few minutes (was he told to leave us alone so that if someone said "turn this crap off" he wouldnt have been there to hear it?) and the religious propaganda audio started playing, and the flashing colored lights and the order to take a few soliatry moments in front of the "shrine" we would see next came on that I got pissed. There was no mention at the beginning of the tour that we would be bombarded with religious crap once we were underground with no idea how to leave!!! I think they use young kids to give the tour so that you feel bad saying anything to them about how uncomfortable they make you feel. I was there with 2 of my girlfriends and they both felt the same way that I did - like we had been dupped! Also, after seeing the shrine, I felt like there was a distinct possiblity that anthrodites were made up and that we were going to be offered special kool aid at the end of the tour. We left as soon as it was over. I thought about speaking to management, but figured that they had probably already been spoken to alot about this. I think the best thing for me and everyone else out there who feels that we were ripped off, trapped, and indocrinated during our 1 hour tour is to inform everyone you know about what a sham Skyline Caves are. Afterall, had I known what we were getting in to, I certainly would not have given them my $16 .

11  Thank wndywise