“Valentine's Day with a late reservation. Very satisfied.”
Review of The Wine and Duck - CLOSED

The Wine and Duck
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We arrived and were immediately seated at our table for 2. Our waitress was attentive, sharp, and fun. We were informed that they were out of duck (part of the name) but neither of us were there intent on having duck so that was a non issue. Atmosphere is cozy and the kitchen is open so you can see the staff preparing the food. Shortly after we placed our drink and appetizer order everything was brought to our table. The tempura shrimp appetizer was very good. The shrimp were properly cooked (not overdone so they resemble tire rubber), the tempura was nice, and the sauce was tasty and light. The shrimp were served on a nice bed of greens so the app could double as the salad course. My lady ordered the steak quesadilla and I ordered a ribeye steak (medium rare) with the garlic mashed potatoes. The salads were abundant and fresh and the blue cheese dressing was fabulous. Once our entrees arrived the aroma of the food was enticing. My steak was cooked to perfection, it was well seasoned, and the mashed potates were fantastic. My lady's quesadilla was filled with tender beef, spiced just right, and simply melted in the mouth.
Our waitress was attentive and everything came out of the kitchen as ordered. She was very knowledgeable of the menu which is always a plus. Overall we will go back to the Wine and Duck to sample some of their other items and I would highly recommend this quaint, personal restaurant to anyone visiting our little town.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stopped in on our way back from Luray Caverns based on reviews from tripadvisor and yelp. Both of our meals were excellent and were extremely delicious. We could tell the food was prepared with care and with fresh ingredients. We will make the hour drive out to this restaurant again soon! Wish it was closer to us.

1  Thank k4Ysi4d
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We go here very often...at least 2x per week for the past 3 years...so, obviously...it's good! For appetizers, try the spicy shrimp quesadilla or the house made hummus...The soups are always good...we like the smoky tomato bisque..it comes with a little tiny grilled cheese sandwich...the specials are ALWAYS amazing...and the burgers are GREAT...they grind them right there...the cashel bleu cheese is my favorite...also, they make really good home made desserts...save room...

1  Thank Julie S
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Excellent steaks. Delicious fettuccine alfredo. I always get the "KING CHARLES… Whole rib eye served with fresh mushrooms and marsala wine sauce; paired with fettuccine alfredo and fresh grated parmesan cheese " but I ask for filet mignon rather than the rib eye. The rib eye is excellent, according to my daughter, I just prefer the filet. The desserts are always good. Caesar salad is good, too (I like lots of garlic). The coffee was good as well. Good wines. Service is a little slow, but well worth the wait.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've eaten many steaks in my life and this one lived up to the hype of other reviews: one of the best I've ever had. Incredibly fresh, well-seasoned and perfectly cooked. I also had a tomato soup as a starter. That came with what was basically a mini-grilled cheese as the bread, which was also incredible.

Despite those ringing endorsements, a few not-so-ideal observations as well. It is tiny, maybe 10-12 tables tops. The service was fine but a little slow, but that's partially the D.C. resident talking. My wife also loved the soup, but didn't like her salad entree. Very heavy-handed on the rosemary and she didn't want to wait on the time it would take to send it back. Still, if we repeat a Shenandoah weekend in/near Front Royal in the future, we liked it enough that we'd try again.

1  Thank Ryan D