“Everything We Needed Was Here”

Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Front Royal
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Everything We Needed Was Here”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We drove from Mooresville, NC to Front Royal with a stop at Monticello and Carter's Orchard in Virginia on the way. So it was a long day of travel and we were looking forward to dinner and a good night's sleep.
Attached to the hotel is a restaurant named Houlihan's which was very good and I will review that separately but I would recommend eating here.
Our room Nbr 527 was very clean, quiet, and comfortable. That is all I need from a room. It was a very pleasant stay. The next morning when I woke up I could look out the window and see the golfers starting their day on the course.
It would be an easy decision to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnFrontRoyal, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
TakeAPicture-PaintIt,

Thank you for this very thorough review of your recent visit. We love to know that we are providing a great location for weary travelers who are exploring the Shenandoah Valley. We look forward to your next visit.

Brent C Jackson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Tampa
Reviewed November 7, 2013

After driving the 105 mile length of the Skyline Drive, we were ready for a good meal and comfy bed. We found both at the Holiday Inn and Suites in Front Royal. The room was clean and comfortable. The restaurant, Houlihan's, ( which we've visited in other areas) was excellent for both dinner and breakfast- the portions were huge and while not inexpensive, were delicious. The Steak and Wedge Salad was the perfect end to the day. The Meatloaf was total comfort food for the hubby. The only blight on the whole experience is the fact that the hotel's complimentary toiletries are Coconut/Verbena scented. I am allergic to coconut and was told by the front desk there were no alternatives to the coconut, so our hair was a little grimy the next morning. Note to self- don't forget the spare in my suitcase. There is a golf course behind the hotel for those that play and there is a Target nearby if you forget something. We will stay here again when we come back to see the leaves!

islandturtle,

Thank you in advance for your future business in the fall. We are excited to know that we were able to provide you with a hotel that is worth returning to.
Regarding the toiletries, while we are required by Holiday Inn to provide the coconut lime verbena scented products from the Signature Collection of Bath & Body Works, it is probably worth consideration for us to keep an unscented product line available for purchase in our lobby store for travelers with sensitive skin. I will look into this.
I plan to share your comments with the Houlihans staff and management and I am certain they will be proud to have served you.

Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Stayed for two nights recently at this property. Asked for, and received, a room on the top floor rear overlooking the golf course. Fine view. Front desk personnel were accomodating and cheerful at all times.

Only down side was a very noisy heating system and a bed lamp that did not work properly. Excessive dust inside the lamp when we attempted to fix it ourselves.

Houlihan's resturaunt on site is a big plus !! Outstanding menu for dinner and breakfast. Everything prepared to order. Nicely done. Service in the restaurant was first class and with a smile.

RedSox1938,

We appreciate your recent business at the Holiday Inn Front Royal. Thank you for your visit and for your TripAdvisor review. I apologize that you had minor issues with the HVAC system in the room and the bed-side lamp. I will make sure to put a high priority in inspecting these items during our routine room inspections. If you care to email me at GM@hifrontroyalva.com with your name and dates of your stay I will be able to inspect the actual room you stayed in for quality assurance.

I am very glad that Houlihans provided you with a convenient dining option.

We would appreciate your future business and we wish you a happy 2014!

Hanover, Maryland
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here because we wanted to check out the Skyline Drive during the fall. We live in Hanover, Maryland, so staying at a hotel was a must for us.

There was a staff of one person when we arrived but she was nothing but friendly. They offered us a 1st floor room and I thought that was cool. Rooms were clean and quiet. The bed and pillows were clean and comfortable! Another woman who was working alone this morning, she greeted us with a warm and friendly "Good Morning!' - I don't know about you but little things like a small greeting make's me want to be a repeat customer. I forgot my deodorant and they supplied me with a comp lady speed stick.

It's a nice place to stay... if you don't care about the crowds getting a free breakfast (some of the perks with other hotels/inns) and don't mind a nice breakfast from the next door at Houlihan's, please stay here!

BTW - the golf course next to it, AMAZING.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnFrontRoyal, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Akiko C,

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community. This is greatly appreciated. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit and I hope you enjoyed your Skyline Drive trip. This is such a great time of year for a drive on Skyline Drive. I am glad that the staff was accommodating and friendly and that the hotel was able to fully meet your needs. Thank you for your business and we hope that you will stay with us on any future visits to the area.

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Convenient location for Skyline Drive. Friendly efficient front desk. Spacious suite. Lobby coffee machine was awful. My wife and I each took one sip and poured it in the sink. Bathroom is one of the better hotel bathrooms I've seen recently. Elevator a bit slow to arrive considering there are only 5 guest floors. Personally I think this hotel should have four guest elevators rather than two.

Stayed November 2013
NikonGlass,

Thank you for choosing our hotel to be a part of your recent Skyline Drive trip. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the staff, the efficiency of check in and the guest room. I would also like to say that I agree with you that our bathrooms are very nice and provide a clean, well-lit area for getting ready for whatever the day will bring. If you care to share further details with the hotel regarding what you did not like about the lobby coffee machine please do so at info@hifrontroyalva.com. We hear overwhelmingly positive feedback on this machine and the coffee is a reputable branded product, so any direct feedback you can provide to us would be helpful as we use this feedback to determine if we are providing what is the best for our guests.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We were traveling in October and was ready to stop for
the night. We always like Holiday Inn Express hotels so we stopped at
Front Royal, Va. We went in to get a room with 2 queen beds for one
night. The lady at the desk said, "we require the room rate, plus a $150.00 deposit on the room, plus a credit card, plus drivers license. We
were shocked at the room deposit, we were paying cash up front and did
not think this was fair. We told her so and she insisted on the deposit.
Needless to say we didn't stay. We went on to find a Hampton Inn for
no deposit and a fair price. I don't believe this is the policy of the hotel
because we have never encountered this at any other hotel. I think
someone should check on this. The date we were there was 10/2013.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank BL B
BL B,

I appreciate that you took the time to share your concerns over our hotel's policies. I am sorry to hear that you ultimately chose to stay at another property instead of experiencing the award-winning Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows. In your review you question whether the $150 deposit policy was an actual policy of the hotel. I can confirm that it is the policy of this hotel to require a photo identification and a valid credit card for each guest who stays with us including those who wish to pay cash. In the event that a guest does not own or wish to provide a valid credit card, a fully refundable $150 security deposit will be accepted in lieu of a credit card. If you have any further questions regarding this matter please do not hesitate to contact me at 540-631-3050 or at GM@hifrontroyalva.com.
I hope you enjoyed your visit to beautiful Front Royal, VA.

Hampton, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a nice hotel.

Parking lot- large, plenty of parking, well lit

Area- seemed like a safe area, near a golf course and gas station

Hotel lobby was clean

Front desk clerk who checked me in seemed friendly enough although she did say should would check on something for me that I had asked about and would call my room with an answer. I never heard from her.

Room was clean. Housekeeping did a great job. Some stains on the carpet but I'm sure they get all kinds of careless people coming through there and they can't change the carpet every week. You could tell that the room was clean though.

Pool was nice. Kids had fun in it.

Restaurant in hotel is good. Only problem for us is that when we were there, they weren't serving a lot of meats off their menu. Our choices were limited.

Did NOT encounter any signs of bedbugs.

Room was quiet. Didn't hear anybody or anything while sleeping.

Good rates.

Easy check out.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
qwop,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows. It is our pleasure to provide a clean, quiet room at a good rate to our guests. I see that you titled your review as "still great hotel" so Thank You for your repeat business, it is greatly appreciated. I will make sure that the staff here understands how important it is to follow through with the guests when requests are made. I apologize that this did not occur during your stay.
Thank you for sharing your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Front Royal
#1 of 3 in Middletown
Hotel Strasburg
Hotel Strasburg
#3 of 5 in Strasburg

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows? Share your experiences!