“A good home base”

Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Front Royal
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We used this property as our home base on a family trip to the Luray area. Although it was a bit of a trek to the caverns and river raft co. it was close to I-66 and a good old-fashioned drive-in movie (a real draw). Our suite had a bedroom separate from the living area and the children slept on the sofabed. A tasty menu selected breakfast was included in the rate. The hotel was located at Blue Ridge Shadows Golf Course so Dad could play while the kids were occopied at the indoor pool. There are many good restaurants in the area. We enjoyed a wonderful long weekend in part to our accommodation.

Room Tip: The "view" suites are actually on the lower floors because the property is built into a hi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnFrontRoyal, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thank you for choosing us for your recent trip to the Shenandoah Valley. I am glad you found us convenient to the local attractions including the Family Drive In (movie theater) which makes for a great night out. Thank you.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed at this Holiday Inn for 3 nights in a double queen room overlooking the golf course. The bedroom was a little small and lacked comfortable seating but the bathroom was a good size with a separate area for the commode. The beds were very comfortable. The hotel contained quality furnishings and was well maintained and appeared very clean. We were told the inn was 5 years old but it appeared to be about a year old. The hotel is a couple miles from the freeway but we loved the open area and property surrounding it. Shopping is close by. Houlihan's Restaurant is attached to the hotel and the food there is pretty good. It would be nice if H.I. offered at least a $5 voucher per person for breakfast since none is served at the inn. The hotel staff members were all extremely friendly!

Room Tip: Select a suite or accessible room if you want more room to move around. No breakfast served at hotel...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am very glad you enjoyed your visit to the area. Thank you for dining at Houlihans as well.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

By far the #1 hotel in Front Royal. There area number of hotels in FR but this HI is the best. It's not next to any shopping or restaurants which makes it a better place. Less traffic and noise to deal with. There is a Houlihan's on site and you are within 2 miles of restaurants as well as some shopping. Easy access to I 66 and close to I 81. Easy drive to Winchester. The lobby is large and well decorated and the rooms comfortable. I had a room with a nice view of the golf course behind the hotel. It appears to be a very nice course but I don't golf so I can't really say much about it. I have two cell phone pics and will see if I can download them. This is not the typical hotel nor a typical Holiday Inn. It has much more and is more in line with a more expensive hotel. I am just finishing a one week stay here.

Pic 2 was taken from inside my room.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the golf course are the best.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your wonderful comments and for sharing your pictures. We appreciate you saying that we are the #1 hotel in the area. This means a lot to our staff as it is an important goal of ours. Thank you for staying with the Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We were very pleased with our room, it was clean, the shower had excellent pressure and fitness center is well stocked with different machines and weights, which is rare. They have a beautiful pool but the chemicals were not quite right the day we were there. They also have a sauna but it was way to hot to use. The restaurant was alright, not outstanding, although the staff there was wonderful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with the Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows. I wanted to let you know that the maintenance team does everything they can to provide a consistent and safe pool and hot tub experience to our guests each day. Thank you for bringing an inconsistency to our attention.

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I've been at this hotel before and I had nothing to complain about...

Great spacious room, fast Internet, flat screen TV, fridge, microwave and very comfortable bed...

The Houlihan's restaurant on the premise is always a great addition...

However, this time around, I had a pretty bad experience at check in...

Not only I had to wait forever (the manager was too busy somewhere else) and the other lady was not able to help...

So, we were 5-6 guests waiting in line for check in...

Then I gave my name and the manager was not able to find my reservation... A few minutes later she found it... Then told me I had to call Priceline since their credit card on file was declined (why should I contact Priceline??? I already paid them for my stay). I told the manager she had to call them and showed her my Priceline invoice and receipt...

Then she told me I had to pay the full price to stay or I had to contact Priceline!!!

I was not happy and now there was 2-3 new guest waiting in line for only 1 girls who can check us in... The other girls was texting on her smart phone like she was bored or something...

After asking her again to call Priceline, she type for a few minutes on her keyboard and told me she enter the wrong credit card info for Priceline and finally accept my reservation!!!

Well, I was not very please for this unwelcoming check in...

Everything else about this hotel was great fortunately...

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your continued business with the Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows, we greatly appreciate it. I apologize for the poor check in process during your recent visit. We have ensured that the front desk is better prepared for our guests at check in. One note, do not forget that with the Holiday Inn Lowest Internet Rate Guarantee that you will always find the lowest listed prices on the internet on our own brand site, HolidayInn.com.
We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We needed a spot to have a single day 6-person round table meeting and we choose the Holiday Inn @ Blue Ridge Shadows. The meeting room was set up and the refreshments were as ordered. I highly suggest contacting this HI for business meetings. The overnight accommodations were wonderful, and the breakfast was very good. The server named "Ben" deserves 5 star's for the way he handled our group.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with the Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows for your recent meeting. I have let the sales staff know about your comments and they were all very proud of the team that served you. We hope you will come back for your next meeting. Thank you.

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

This is really such a nice hotel. We live locally and stayed here while we were having some unexpected work done on our home. Everyone was very kind and accommodating. Hotel itself is super clean and modern. Bed was very comfortable. Our son loved the pool and "his room" in the suite. The mini bar area with sink, fridge and microwave was a lifesaver as I had to prepare and pack school lunches. Room service was delivered within 15-20 minutes every time we ordered and the food at Houlihans was really top-notch. I cannot say enough nice things about the property and the staff they employ here. They really made us feel at home during a tough time.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for staying with the Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows and for your fabulous review of our "Fabulous hotel". I am very happy to hear that the pool was perfect for your son and that the staff treated you as family. These are excellent comments and I will share them with the staff. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Front Royal
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winchester
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley
Fairfield Inn & Suites Strasburg Shenandoah Valley
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows? Share your experiences!