“Very basic accomodations”

Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Front Royal
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 29, 2012

I booked a recent stay at this hotel having forgotten that I had stayed there before and been less than thrilled with the experience. First, for the positives... The room was clean. The staff was pleasant. It's a relatively new property, and the room and its furnishings were in good condition. For the downsides, the lighting in the room was horrible with all bright white florescent bulbs emitting a bright blue glow. It was hardly a relaxing atmosphere. However, this is a very inexpensive hotel, and I suppose you should expect such things with budget accommodations. The Front Royal area is somewhat sparsely populated, and since the hotel's website said they offered movies, I looked forward to watching one of the oscar-nominated films the evening I arrived. Unfortunately, the property didn't actually have the in-room movie amenity as advertised, which is yet another drawback for this property. I think it's needless to say that I shant be staying at this property again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank whp81
HolidayInnFrontRoyal, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2012

whp81,

Thank you for staying with us again and for your second review of this property. I would once again like to thank you for recognizing the cleanliness of your room and the hotel. In both of your reviews you mention that our hotel's in-room lighting is too fluorescent and has a blue glow. I want to assure you that the bulbs we use throughout the guest room and bathroom are an energy saving CFL 23 watt bulb with a "temperature" of 2700 K (or soft-white). We chose this bulb for its green, energy-saving appeal as well as for the soft white glow that it provides which mimics the soft home-like feel that most of our guests use in their own households. A bulb with a "Temperature" of 5000K or more will give that bright white industrial type glow.

Regarding the comment about in-room movies, I would appreciate if you would take a few minutes to email me at GM@HIfrontroyalVA.com and let me know if you recall where on the internet you saw that we offered in-room movies. This is not a feature that this hotel has ever offered and I would like to contact the webmaster for any site that has incorrect information about our property and have them make changes to reflect accurate content.

Thank you for your business.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Picked this hotel because it was on the beaten path away from route 66 and 81. Hotel was very nice. Room was clean, nice soft bed but room location was bad top floor and at south part of hotel there is a rd next to it and all night heard big rigs up and down the rd .. if you have to stat here ask for a north side room

Room Tip: north side of hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank tiger b

tiger b,

We appreciate your comments. I will share your comments regarding the cleanliness of your room with our housekeeping and maintenance teams. They will be pleased to know that there tireless efforts do not go unnoticed.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your sleep experience due to noise from the road. It is certainly an option for any future stays that our guests can request a room at the other end of the building (near the golf course) and these requests will be honored whenever possible. I do want to ensure you that when the hotel was designed, great efforts were put into using building materials that would reduce or eliminate exterior noise and it is a rarity that we receive a complaint in this regard, however, I acknowledge that you anticipated a completely quiet sleep environment and did not receive one. If you would care to email me at GM@HIfrontroyalVA.com I would be more than willing to discuss this matter with you further.

I hope to have you at the hotel as a guest again soon!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for one night while driving across the USA. The rooms were luxurious, clean and large. The beds were very comfortable. We also had an RV and they had parking to accommodate that.

We also went to the restaurant attached to the hotel and it was fantastic. I had a burger that was amazing and my boyfriend had some stuffed chicken thing that also tasted fabulous.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pshyke

Pshyke,

thank you for your business. It is with pleasure that I thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback that we receive through TripAdvisor.com as it helps us to reinforce our training with our employees.

As you noticed, we certainly do offer plenty of space for RVs and trailers and we are glad you were able to take advantage of that on your cross country trip.

The attached restaurant, Houlihan's Restaurant + Bar, does offer amazing food. Did you know that the food there is actually made-from-scratch, from the most basic ingredients, daily. The stuffed chicken breast is a great example of this and I agree that it is delicious. I will share your comments about Houlihan's with their management staff.

Thank you again and hope you enjoy safe travels in 2012.

Reviewed February 17, 2012

This is a nice new hotel in Front Royal, right off I-66. We stayed one night in May 2011 for a nearby wedding. Rooms were pretty plain looking but very clean. The bathrooms were more modern looking and spacious. The pool and hot tub were fine (both could have been warmer). One strange thing I noticed is that the block of rooms for the wedding guests were more expensive than for the regular guests. We ended up booking on our own to save a few bucks. The room was still over $100. At that price, we should have gotten breakfast (most hotels in this price range offer a FREE continental breakfst). Other than that, I have no complaints.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank dmaeroqueen
HolidayInnFrontRoyal, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

dmaeroqueen,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the TripAdvisor community. I noted all of your thoughts and concerns and have shared them with the staff. Maintenance is looking into the temperature at the pool on their daily logs and we will see if the pool and hot tub were unusually colder than our standards recently.

Regarding breakfast, we do offer a rate that includes up to $20 in breakfast at our restaurant and as always KIDS EAT FREE. It is true, however, that we do not offer a complimentary breakfast as this is not provided by the Holiday Inn brand.

Finally, I hope that everyone in the wedding block enjoyed their stay.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

We stopped at this hotel on the way back from Tenn. I did a thorough check online for reviews and a very good check once in the room for bed bugs. I did not find anything. The room and hotel are very clean and in good condition. I worked out in the fitness room the next morning and they have good equipment, all working. No one was there with me.
The pool seemed to be in good shape, indoor, but we didnt use it.
Just a note, since there is a Houlihans resturant connected to the hotel they have room service. BUT, there is NO FREE BREAKFAST! Nothing! You have to go to the restaraunt to eat. Kids eat free but you have to pay for adults.
We were very disappointed by this, but the food was good, and for 2 people it cost about $15. The room for the night 2 queens was under $85 so it was ok.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank kelly d

kelly d,

Thank you for your very nice review of the Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal. I would like to thank you for your visit on your trip home. I hope you found our location to be convenient. I am proud of the cleanliness of our property. Our staff works very hard to ensure that the rooms and public areas are very clean.

I notice that you mentioned your concern about the lack of breakfast. As we are a Holiday Inn and not a Holiday Inn Express we do not offer a complimentary breakfast. (All Holiday Inn Hotels feature an on property restaurant as opposed to the HI Express brand which offers the complimentary hot breakfast). For future reference, please note that our property offers a rate that includes a coupon for up to $20 in breakfast at a value rate. It sounds like this would be perfect for you.

Please do not hesitate to call with any questions, we are hear to assist!

Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed there to visit my parents who live nearby.

It's a very up to date, new Holiday Inn/Suites. Parking was easy and the room was very nice and modern. I'd recommend it to anyone in this neck of the woods who wants to be close to Front Royal, Stephens City and/or Winchester without actually having to be in town. This is not in any of these towns but close by on Route 522.

The restaurant, Houlihan's, is just wonderful. I really enjoyed my breakfast there and it was nice to see people who lived there locally eating there and having get togethers. I definitely would come back again to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank readhd59
HolidayInnFrontRoyal, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2012

readhd59,

Thank you for your kind review of the Holiday Inn and Houlihans. I will share your comments with our management and staff. We appreciate your visit and for choosing our property. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times, and not once has there ever been ANYTHING wrong !! Customer service, quality, cleanliness are all above par.

Room Tip: I have stayed at this hotel numerous times & have never had a bad room. I am convinced they do n...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Karen P
HolidayInnFrontRoyal, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2012

Karen P,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for your wonderful review and your "room tip". Our goal is to have each of our guests feel as you satisfied with their lodging decision as you do after they have stayed here. I will share your comments with our staff! Have an wonderful 2012!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Front Royal
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Wayside Inn
Wayside Inn
#1 of 3 in Middletown

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Front Royal Blue Ridge Shadows? Share your experiences!