“I was disappointed”

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Carol's is a Forest icon, being a well-established local restaurant, serving basic fair, including breakfast. I stopped in and ate breakfast there this morning. I was disappointed! The service was less than satisfactory. I sat there for a long time before a waitress came to my table. They were busy, and that may have been a factor. But several waitresses were serving, and they all looked over to my table, and certainly knew I had been waiting.

I ordered the "Carol's special" - two eggs cooked to order, a choice of bacon or sausage, biscuit or toast, and one side. I choose sausage, potatoes, a biscuit, and my eggs over medium. I also had coffee.

I waited about 20 min. before the food arrived. During that wait, the waitress never stopped by for a coffee refill. The eggs were over easy, not medium, and one was only the yoke with much of the white missing. The potatoes were those frozen shredded things, not homefries/fried potatoes that normally accompany a quality breakfast. The sausage patty was simply tasteless. Seriously... it has no taste to it, and the only way I knew it was sausage was that it was round, flat, and brown. I'm not sure if the biscuit was previously frozen or not. It was mediocre as well. The "Big Breakfast" served down the road at McDonald's would have been better, seriously. The cost of this was $4.99 plus $1.50 for the coffee.

Breakfast is an easy meal to prepare and make really good. Carol's failed!

1  Thank Les P

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

If you're a fan of greasy overcooked food, this place is for you. I, however, was not a fan. The service was nice and checked on us almost too much, but kindness cannot make up for poor cooking. The eggs I ordered appeared quite a while after everyone else's food and they were a bit.... crisp.

Nice people, sticky tables, mismatched dishware, all in all not worth my money.

1  Thank AdventureHippie
Reviewed August 30, 2012

A hole in the wall that we always take our friends that visit from out of town to! Yummy comfort food, especially there breakfast! We love going on the weekends, but it is usually packed! It's where the locals eat. Love the little potatoes for breakfast!

Reviewed May 13, 2012

The food here is hit or miss. The burgers are good, but the eggs are awful. The sweet potato fries are super bland, but the bacon is great. So it goes with Carol's.

Overall, pretty greasy. The staff isn't overly friendly, and could learn how to smile every once in awhile. Most patrons are about 80 years old.

1  Thank manilapacman
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I have dined at Carol's twice. First time I had the fried chicked. It was just ok... The second time I had the catfish. One piece fried and one piece grilled. The grilled fish was very buttery, I did not care for it. The fried fish was over cooked. I don't think that I will allow myself to be disapppointed for a third visit. The service is ok and the place seens clean but I am not impressed with the food.

1  Thank WildRabbitEars

Been to Carol's? Share your experiences!