“Highly recommended. Live in history!”

Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B
Ranked #2 of 3 Flint Hill B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Absolutely authentic experience of a 19th century living. Almost like living in a museum. The house which is 200 years old is very well maintained and beautifully decorated. A great weekend destination or a place to bring friends (especially visiting from the overseas as it is makes it a great and very unique cultural experience). We stayed there 3 or 4 times over the period of 2009-2010. In fact it is perfectly suited for two families who don't mind sharing bathroom as it makes it very very affordable then. Alternatively, there is a separate suite in a historic separate part of the building, which is a more expensive option for a romantic weekend.

The beds are less comfortable than usual as they are relatively small (I believe full size) but again it is compensated by a historic feel and touch on every piece of the furniture.

The owner is a very interesting individual with a rich past and cool hobbies. You will definitely feel as his personal guest (especially as he serves you breakfast -- and it is a CEREMONY that you should not disturb))). You should ask him for a tour of the property and to show you a passion of his life: a model railroad running through a 3' think wall in the basement of the building. If you have kids, they wont want to leave! Check youtube presentation on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EiIXUGTsF0

The inn is 5 min drive away from the historic town of Washington VA and its Inn in Little Washington (http://www.theinnatlittlewashington.com/), which is a high-end gastronomic restaurant, and if you cant book a dinner there, it is worth visiting just on an improvised walking tour (including various properties around it). It is also 15 min away from Skyline Drive, which makes it a perfect base for exploring Shenandoah.

I give it overall 4 stars just to set your expectations low so you can be impressed in your own way. And of course it is not a conventional 5 star place. But for what it is (its authenticity, uniqueness, tranquility, value for money, location, etc), it could well qualify for a 5 star experience!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TraveLounger

Reviewed August 7, 2011

A charming host, Phil, at a very historic 1812 farm. More than 2 miles of stone fence surround a beautiful setting.
I recommend this B&B because Phil goes out above the call of duty to make your stay a great one.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2011

Caledonia Farms in Flint Hill, Virginia was absolutely gorgeous! We loved our stay. Phil Irwin was a wonderful host, and directed us to many memorable events. He also pointed to some wonderful restaurants, and provided us with a personal breakfast each morning. The breakfast was provided in a cozy nook overlooking the farm and its breath taking mountains. We traveled to Flint Hill in the Fall of 2010 and had a wonderful time. If you are looking for a quiet and romantic get away, this is the place. The Inn is absolutely gorgeous and filled with history. Phil can tell you everything you would like to know about the area. Will go back again.

Adam and Jeri Cropper
Maryland

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cropper2011
Reviewed March 31, 2011

During the month of December 2010 we drove from New Jersey to Louisiana and on to Arizona to visit friends and family. We decided to stay for a couple of nights at the Caledonia Farm 1812 Bed and Breakfast Inn. This would provide us with an opportunity to see and experience the local area, including the various caverns. We did not regret our decision thanks to Phil Irwin, the Inn’s proprietor who made our stay a true experience. The BB was well kept and provided a 1800’s ambiance. The breakfast had a special touch with a rustic setting, providing a beautiful view of Virginias pastures and rolling hills. Phil has a wealth of knowledge and cheerfully shared this with us while providing some unexpected but pleasant surprises. We were reluctantly to leave early and continue our trip using country roads. With the moon still shining on the snow covered fields we looked back on a highly recommended Caledonia Farm 1812.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dutch0011
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Much like another reviewer, we had a bad stay at Caledonia Farm. The main reason was the rudeness of the owner, Phil. We did not feel comfortable interacting with him upon arrival or at breakfast. Other low points were the bathroom which was more reminiscent of a cheap 70's era motel than a rustic farmhouse (laminate floor, plastic light fixtures, Dixie Cup dispenser, rusty bathtub). Speaking of rust, the water has a pungent rust smell that you will take home with you. There are pluses - well preserved, historic slave quarters serve as rooms; beautiful views all around grounds. We would go back ONLY if ownership/management changed.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank WH4Traveler
Phil1812, Owner at Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2011

Our apology to this reviewer and to our MANY guests over the past 27 years for tolerating a substandard bathroom. In January 2010, a totally modern bathroom replaced the old one. Also a new system was installed for our regularly inspected and approved well water. The overdue renovations were done without harming the authenticity of the over 200 year old structure. We cannot recall circumstances which may have caused a perception of rudeness. Thousands of guests have acknowledged and appreciated our outstanding Caledonia Farm hospitality.

Reviewed September 1, 2009

If you are looking for modern luxury, thankfully this is not it! If you are looking for an unusual experience, then stay here. My wife and I stayed in the old slave quarters. The entire farm is a chance to live history. Stone buildings and miles of stone fences built by slaves. Phil, the owner, is a unique and fascinating individual. The bed was small but comfortable. The place was clean. The food was good. I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Caledonia Farm, Flint Hill, VA, for one night in June 2009.
But next time, I will make sure we stay longer.

The Place and The Owner:
The Inn At Little Washington has nothing on the view of this place!!! Sitting on an 135 acres of pastureland, you are surrounded by mountains and endless view of green grass and cows grazing in the distant. The owner, Phil Irwin, greeted us with cold drinks when we arrived and made us felt welcomed right away. Phil has been living here since the 60s so he knows the area like the back of his palms. He was very resourceful and provided us with maps and recommendations on places to go and he was spot on! We never for a second felt unwelcome by Phil so we are perplexed why a previous reviewer (2007) gave a bad review for him and the place.

The Room & Bathroom:
We stayed in one of the suites upstairs. The room has a fireplace and seating area and way too big for 2 persons. The room is individually air-conditioned so you have full control of the room temperature. I like feeling freezing when I go to bed so I would have preferred to have a fan in the room to help with the air circulation. I compared notes with my husband and he found the room to be freezing enough even without any fan. So I guess it's a personal preference. No complain about the bed at all. It's very comfy and extra pillows and blankets are available in the room itself. The room has two windows on each side which provide ample natural lighting and beautiful views of the farm. The bathroom is also spacious and very clean.

Breakfast:
You choose what time you want breakfast to be served. Phil recommended 8am and that was perfect with us. Breakfast is served in the breakfast room, overlooking the beautiful mountains, apple trees on the front yard and stonewall fence. The breakfast room has huge glass wall so that you can enjoy the breath-taking outdoor view but still being inside the house. As we were enjoying the breakfast, we were also enjoying the birds chirping right outside. We saw at least 4 different kind of birds the one hour we were sitting there. A few humming birds were hoovering right in front of us I wondered if Phil the owner orchestrated that for his guests :-)

First course of breakfast consisted of fresh grapefruit paired with the area's sparkling apple cider. I have never been a fan of cider but now I am. Then it was followed by Phil's totally delicious homemade egg Benedict is made perfect by the awesome Hollandaise sauce !!! Makes me hungry just thinking about it now. Just when I thought it was the end of my breakfast, Phil came in and brought us delicious pastry. Phil knows when to give his guests space and when to have a conversation with them. He left us alone when were enjoying our breakfast and savoring all those magnificent view outside, and towards the end, he stepped in and had some conversation with us.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This week, I found myself longing to be back at the Caledonia Farm again and sip my coffee as the humming birds do their dance for me, or walk around outside at 6am watching the mountains and the land basking in the glory of the morning sun ( don't let me fool you; I am totally NOT a morning person. For me, getting up at 8am is early, let alone 6am, but there is something about this place that makes you want to start the day super early and go outside to enjoy the view and the air).

Will I go back to Caledonia Farm?? 100% yes!!! In fact, I will move in if I could (with my husband along of course). This place is so welcoming, serene and soothing and yet it's less than 10 minutes away from The Inn At Little Washington, 15 minutes away from wineries and right there by the Shenandoah Park.

Look no further, you have just found the place to be!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
The Inn at Little Washington
Glen Gordon Manor
Glen Gordon Manor
#1 of 1 in Huntly

Been to Caledonia Farm - 1812 B&B? Share your experiences!