“Went to the 5K”

Barren Ridge Vineyards
Reviewed October 9, 2013

It was a beautiful location. The race began well and seemed to not have a problem and afterwards there was wine.

There are newer reviews for Barren Ridge Vineyards

Reviewed September 26, 2013

It is not often that a bride comes away from their wedding day without a single complaint -- I DID!

From the first conversation with the owner of Barren Ridge Vineyard to the days communication following the event, they provided us with great service. The owners are very passionate about doing weddings, the first wedding held at the vineyard was their daughters. So they know what it means to have a special day. We did have a transition when their event planner departed, however they worked with us through details making our day perfect.

Our guests of 150, adults and children of all ages LOVED the vineyard. Due to last minute showers our wedding was moved indoors. The vineyard staff helped our event team to make last minute changes - when I say last minute I mean I was in the car in the parking lot being told not to come inside.

The sky cleared during the ceremony and all of our guests were able to walk the grounds and enjoy the patio & tasting room for cocktails. We then returned upstairs for dinner catered by Fardowners Restaurant. We had a live band Mason Porter and a DJ Andy Wilfong. The room was a terrific space for dancing and hanging out with family & friends.

For a small service fee the vineyard staff helped with break down the next day and helped us loading vehicles with left over items. They have stayed in touch with us over a few items to pick up. We are members of their fantastic Crush Club and are looking forward to this quarters delivery!

Thank you Shelby & Cameron!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

My (now) husband and I first visited Barren Ridge after a viticulture class outside Charlottesville. We have toured many wineries (VA, CA, WA, etc.) and were immediately impressed. The wines were fantastic, the tasting room was well appointed and cozy, the staff was knowledgeable and friendly. We ended up meeting the owners and hearing firsthand the lovely story of the Higgs' return to John's family property and its conversion from orchard to vineyard. We decided to hold our July 2013 wedding at Barren Ridge, and the owners and staff could not have been more helpful or accommodating. The Audrey Blackford Room (with its vaulted ceiling, stone fireplace and breathtaking views) was the perfect venue for our reception. We are grateful to the owners and staff for their contributions to our very special day. Their tending of the photogenic verdant vineyards; making great wines; maintaining such elegant and high quality facilities; opening them up for private rental, and working with us to plan and execute our wedding made our event ideal. We look forward to returning frequently to enjoy great wine in excellent company and beautiful surroundings.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

As much as I love to support local business I hate to write this review. I recently got married at Barren Ridge Vineyards and the wedding and location couldn’t have been more beautiful. Unfortunately the service that the Vineyard provided was completely unacceptable. Halfway through my wedding planning the event planner there was let go and the owner thought she could take on this job. After she left there was a lot of miscommunication and broken promises. When we signed the contract we were told that so long as there was no event on Friday night we were free to decorate. The Friday before we met with the owner went over the rental company coming Thursday and decorating on Friday. The rental company set up and hung lanterns and other decorations and afterwards they were told it had to be taken down. MS Events was great and rearranged their schedule to fix this. Then later Thursday we were told by the owner that we are no longer allowed to decorate, they needed to keep the room empty in case a large party came in, this was never mentioned in any other meeting we had. The comment was made to me by the owner “Listen I don’t think you understand but we are in this to make money.” Finally after much argument we were allowed to come in Friday but had to set up the tables ourselves. I had waited to write this review until we picked up our arbor that we used for the ceremony. A friend of ours was planning on using it and got with the owner on a Monday about picking it up that coming Thursday. When she arrived on Thursday sitting where the arbor was 3 days before was a pile of firewood. I am completely disgusted by the customer service Barren Ridge provided. The location is absolutely beautiful and their wine is great but they treat their customers with no respect. Next Time you’re enjoying a Friday night by the fire I hope you think of the arbor my husband built himself for our wedding ceremony.

1  Thank Rachel K
Barrenridge, Manager at Barren Ridge Vineyards, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Rachel,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very sorry you feel this way about your experience with Barren Ridge, and we certainly do respect your views.

Concerning the issue of decorating prior to the wedding, we apologize for the misunderstanding. We will not rehash details here of what has already been discussed with you, but it has always been our policy, as specified in our contract, to rent the Audrey Blackford Room for one day only, not for the day or two prior to an event. We are glad the venue pleased you even if our service failed to meet your expectations. We can only say that we will learn from this experience to be as clear as possible in future about what we are able to offer in terms of access to the room. We agree with you that MS Events did a wonderful job, and we very much appreciate their flexibility.

Regarding the arbor, we deeply regret that it is no longer available to your friend to use for her wedding, but it was left on our property for over three months following your own wedding. Respectfully, nowhere in our contract does it say that we will be responsible for personal items left at the vineyard after a wedding has taken place. We certainly did intend to let your friend use the arbor, as a favor to her, but not all of our staff were informed of this, and we acknowledge our mistake, with our sincere apologies.

We are very sorry that your experience with Barren Ridge did not meet your expectations, but at no time did we intend to disappoint or offend anyone involved in your wedding or your friend’s wedding. Thank you for letting us know how you feel, and please accept our sincerest apologies and our best wishes to you and Travis.

The owners and staff of Barren Ridge Vineyards

Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I first visited Barren Ridge Vineyards for one of their monthly Sunsets in the Vineyard events. There was a catered meal for purchase and a band playing on the patio. We enjoyed our evening with a few minor exceptions (neither of which was directly the establishment's fault). The food wasn't the greatest, but we did learn Barren Ridge also allows you to bring your own food which we'll probably do next time. There was also a loud disagreement between two of the other parties in attendance when one of the children running around playing threw something and hit another woman in the head. Again, we realize this wasn't directly related to the establishment, but it did distract from our 'date night' out from our own kids.
I have also met a girlfriend there to visit over a glass of wine. We enjoyed our time on the patio together as it was a lovely day. For those who aren't aware of it, it is a working vineyard. The day we were there, there was quite a bit of work going on around us by both contractors working on building/renovating something and staff going in and out and going by on ATVs. I do plan on going back and doing a full tasting at some point. I have tried and enjoyed both their Red Baron (red wine blend) and Christof (white dessert wine).