“Great local place”

The Fishin' Pig - Farmville
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Farmville
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Here at The Fishin’ Pig, we have the finest from land and sea: savory, smoked meats and flavorful, fresh seafood! Founded by Matt Hurley, Nash Osborn, Shorty Osborn, and Jim Osborn, The Fishin’ Pig is a southern culinary combination that will delight all the senses! ​ It all started in Memphis, TN, the BBQ Capital of the World, where Matt Hurley was honing his skills at contests and cook-offs. He then made the move to Virginia, opening Mulligan’s Sport’s Grille in Farmville. Missing the smell of a smoker, Matt founded Grady’s BBQ, named after his dad, in 2006. While he was bringing his Memphis-style expertise to the small town of Farmville, Shorty’s passion for catchin’ and eatin’ fish led to the creation of Shorty’s Famous Seafood & Chicken Breading and the popular phrase “Catch n’ Release in the Grease”. As luck would have it, Nash and Jim joined the Mulligan’s family as bartenders, introducing the Fish to the Pig. The relationship went swimmingly and in October 2012 they decided to go whole hog and combine the two companies to make The Fishin’ Pig.
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Local recommendation. BBQ was excellent. We liked having different sauces to choose from - they were at each table. Crab Dip by far was our favorite appetizer. We will definitely be back!

1  Thank sacp67
There are newer reviews for The Fishin' Pig - Farmville

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Have NEVER been treated sooo disrespectfully in a restaurant in my life !!!
The food was not bad and my server was nice :)
It arose from an incident that had nothing to do with me in another room . The manager was so rude! So disrespectful and sooooo out of line ! He was PAST CONFRONTATIONAL ! Almost scary !
Run ......

10  Thank Firemarsha
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Over the years I patronized the various restaurants located in the Fishin Pig's current building...nothing really seemed to "stick", although the location is good, the food and atmosphere never could hold the public's interest for more than a few months it seemed. It appears that Fishin Pig really has found a nice niche, and when I visited for dinner, I didn't have too high expectations, but I heard the food was very good. I ordered the two beef franks topped with pulled pork and cole slaw...and baked beans and collard green as my sides...my friends got BBQ...well, my dinner was great...service was good, and the atmosphere was unlike anything I remembered from the past occupants...overall, I was impressed with the creative, simple and delicious offerings....good job Fishin Pig, glad to see someone is finally capitalizing on such a great location for a restaurant and bar!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

First impression is that this place caters to the college crowd with space that could be used for dining set aside for bar/mingling. There was a short wait on a Saturday afternoon for a table, but the staff at the bar and the server were very pleasant. The food was ok. The batter is strongly flavored and tends to overwhelm the food. The fried green tomatoes came out very greasy - at the least they should have sat in the basket long enough to set instead of being served directly from the frier - and they were bland, aside from the batter flavor. The oyster po-boy suffered from too much batter. The fried catfish came in fillets about 1/4" thick, which is far to thin for deep frying. The sweet potato fries were fine, but nothing special, as was the jalapeño cornbread. In all, it's a friendly place with large pours on the beer, but not someplace I'd return for the food.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

The food was FANTASTIC! Everyone in our party ordered something different & it was all delicious! I had the oyster po boy & there were so many oysters I decided not to eat the bread part of the sandwich at all to have room for my sweet potato fries & coleslaw. The remoulade sauce for the oysters was perfect. The french fried sweet potatoes were perfectly flavored, plenty of them & they came with a butter/honey/cinnamon dipping sauce that I could have dove into head-first (really yummy)!

The barbecue my sister ordered was just great & really enjoyed the sauce on the side. The only complaint I have was that I thought the greens she ordered were a little on the too-sweet side. I personally like mine to have a little more earthy flavor, but that's me.

The dessert was banana chocolate chip bread pudding served with a hefty scoop of vanilla ice cream, which was split by 3 of us as we were so stuffed from the entrees. It was THE BEST bread pudding I have ever put in my mouth. The flavors were perfectly balanced & the texture was that of a moist cake. I have had some bread puddings that were too runny, but THIS ONE IS PERFECT.

I saw a lovely plate of steak & asparagus go by to another table....that menu item will be my next pleasure!

The cost of the meal was so unbelievably reasonable for the quality! If I lived closer I would go there every night!

YES, IT WAS CROWDED, (the place was packed) guess why? BECAUSE IT IS WORTH THE WAIT!...duh! Again, it was crowded, but we were seated @ the bar within 5 minutes rather than wait for a table. I don't understand other reviews with low marks because of the wait time. It's a small town, a small venue, but tons of college kids & their families....it's gonna be crowded..take another look at your "reality" pocket watch grandpa!

Food quality 10
Price 10
Enough Parking 5 (they can't help that)
Service 10