“Amazing fish and BBQ!”

The Fishin' Pig - Farmville
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Farmville
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Here at The Fishin’ Pig, we have the finest from land and sea: savory, smoked meats and flavorful, fresh seafood! Founded by Matt Hurley, Nash Osborn, Shorty Osborn, and Jim Osborn, The Fishin’ Pig is a southern culinary combination that will delight all the senses! ​ It all started in Memphis, TN, the BBQ Capital of the World, where Matt Hurley was honing his skills at contests and cook-offs. He then made the move to Virginia, opening Mulligan’s Sport’s Grille in Farmville. Missing the smell of a smoker, Matt founded Grady’s BBQ, named after his dad, in 2006. While he was bringing his Memphis-style expertise to the small town of Farmville, Shorty’s passion for catchin’ and eatin’ fish led to the creation of Shorty’s Famous Seafood & Chicken Breading and the popular phrase “Catch n’ Release in the Grease”. As luck would have it, Nash and Jim joined the Mulligan’s family as bartenders, introducing the Fish to the Pig. The relationship went swimmingly and in October 2012 they decided to go whole hog and combine the two companies to make The Fishin’ Pig.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My family has visited this fine local establishment at least 10 times since it opened. I've enjoyed the fish tacos, brisket-loaded fries (yes, I said loaded fries with brisket!), pork BBQ, cold beers and lovely homemade desserts, all with friendly service and a family feel. Is good for family meal and also for a date or late-night meal.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Have a son at nearby Hampden-Sydney College and decided to have lunch while visiting him. Enjoyed lunch, my mother and I had the fish sandwich. The ingredients were very fresh. My sons had the shrimp which they both thought was very good. My hubby had the barbecue which was good too. The boys enjoyed watching football as we ate our meal. Our server was just okay, had to flag her down for forgetting straws and my sons fries. Oh and there was lipstick on the rim of my glass that was not mine! However, will return to try again and hope we have a different server :)

1  Thank NYNATIVEBDB
Reviewed November 18, 2013

So three of us enjoyed barbeque, sweet potato fries, cole slaw, and sweet tea for dinner for less than $25 (less than the cost of the lunch at Arby's we had earlier in the day). And it tasted so much better!

We were seated immediately by a very friendly waitress. I liked the decor. There were large black and white photographs on the wall of country life and they were even for sale. My favorite was the close up of a curly, pig's tail.

Service was quick, our drinks were kept constantly topped off, the facility was clean and welcoming (football playing on several screens) and we felt welcome. I definitely recommend this restaurant for anyone who happens to be in the area.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Great BBQ, a good selection of sauces! Nice atmosphere and friendly wait staff. My husband and I both enjoyed it!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My family loves this local place! You can tell everything is FRESH and we love it!!! My son is an incredibly picky two year old and likes eating at this place. Everything is well priced and worth the money you're paying for it. You get lots of food without spending a fortune. You can smell their BBQ from down the road! As a starter I always get us the deconstructed bloom. The breading they use for this dish is awesome! My husband always gets their pulled pork and uses their homemade sweet memphis sauce. I either get the Mahi Tacos or their sautéed shrimp. Both very yummy. Our little one gets the chicken toes and never leaves anything behind. I love how they have different desserts each night so you never know what tasty treat you may have! It's family friendly and their waiters are generally on point. We go here almost once a week as a weekly treat to ourselves just so we don't have to cook that night. We've been here when it is busy and when it is dead. All times we have had a good experience.