“Very disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 2 Fancy Gap B&B and Inns
Groveland, Florida
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

I expected a very low budget room, but this one was terrible! Water was turned off in the basin, had to turn it on and off at the floor or it ran constantly. A new washer in the faucet would have taken care of that. The room was OK but the bathroom was disgusting. One reviewer said they were given a chance to look at the room before checking in, I wish I had been given that opportunity, I would have gone elsewhere.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Barbara K

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dobson, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this motel 37 years ago on our honeymoon. We decided to go back this year for our anniverary and had a great time. The owner Peter was very friendly and helpful as was his manager Matthew. Thanks to both of them for helping us enjoy and celebrate 37 years.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Deborah C
BELLINGHAM
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Our room was moldy - you could smell it, and it caused my husband's allergies to come on strong. The windows were duct taped closed on all seams - is that even legal? Bedding was threadbare, and the lights in the front made it so you could read in your room at night with all the lights out.

We didn't shower, it was so gross looking.

Owner is very nice, doesn't make it a nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelCallie
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I see a few reviews that must have been expecting more than reasonable. It is an inexpensive old style motel, but it is right on the parkway, our AC worked great, the bed was reasonable, the bathroom clean. The owner Peter took my reservation without a credit card. He let us leave our car at the motel when we were out at 6:00 am to ride on the parkway. We ran into some torrential rain storms for about an hour on the way back, so we asked if we could get into a room to shower, he opened up a room he had just cleaned and would not take money, but we insisted. We will be back on a regular basis.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank tldroege
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I have stayed in some dumps over the years, kinda like 'em, really . But this one was below my lamentably low standards. The outside lighting was bright enough to read a newspaper inside the room at 3am; trim pieces were ripped off the wall; the towels would make a Kleenex seem large and luxurious; the electrical outlets were so worn that plugs would fall out on the floor; the bathroom fixtures (tub, commode, basin) had stains that I've not seen north of Tijuana; the TV has been around since the Ed Sullivan show; the internet access did not work; the airconditioner's bark was louder than its bite; the bathroom floow was sticky (I was afraid to imagine why) and the sheets and pillow cases were paper thin.

The appearance of the clientel made me tangle a chair into the door to at least give me time to kill myself on my own terms rather than deal with an intruder.

LOL, all of this for $25 less than the splendid and new Day's Inn less than two miles away.

Too bad trip advisor doesn't offer 'putrid' as an overall rating!

Room Tip: Hahahahaha! Pool and Fitness center? GIMMIE A BREAK!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Harold M
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

This motel was just what we needed for the price we wanted to pay. The owner was on site and very friendly. More than friendly...he kept us entertained in the evening with great stories as we sat out front to visit. He will inform you of what he is offering, show you the room, and if you don't like it then don't stay there. His recommendation for the restaurant across the street was appreciated. Where else could you get a great tasting fish dinner under $10? Trout, catfish, etc...with a couple sides. Breakfast was just as good. If you need a name brand hotel with all the features then don't stay here. If you need a safe, basic place to get some rest this is the place. We enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Yoopr
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 26, 2011

A group of us landed here on a motorcycle trip from ny to Nashville,the owner Pete invited us into his home and treated us to bottles of wine after bottles,his hospitality was only surpassed by his life knowalge.he calls us time to time to say hello,we are now friends for life and I am a better man for meeting him.the motel is just that ,a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Tell Pete mouse sent ya.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
#2 of 8 in Hillsville
Hampton Inn Mount Airy
Hampton Inn Mount Airy
#1 of 8 in Mount Airy

Been to Mountain Top Motel? Share your experiences!