We stayed here while touring the Blue Ridge Parkway to get out of the rain. This was a very unique experience. The owner of the establishment, named Donny is very nice and helpful!
The rooms are actually the cabooses. It is amazing how much they can fit in those little guys. Ours had a large bed, a hot tub(which we didn't use), satellite TV, a refrigerator, a toaster oven, and a full bathroom with a shower stall. It was obvious the owner took great car to make sure the rooms were very clean. The sheets were clean, the floor had been vacuumed, and the bathroom was clean.
Excellent. Nestled back behind the trees in this big pasture. There is a great view, and it is very quit. At night, the trees were lit up with hundreds of fire flies.
The front porch:
Attached to each Caboose is a wooden deck with two rocking chairs. If the weather was nicer, it would have been nice to sit out there and take in nature.
Each caboose has a camp ground style grill for charcoal cooking outside
Where to go eat:
We went to Mount Airy, NC to eat. It is your nearest option when staying here. There are lots of placed to eat in Mount Airy, but it is a big bustling city. Mount Airy is the birth place of Andy Griffith, but despite what the Blue Ridge Parkway guide says, I would skip it for anything other than going out to dinner.
I can appreciate the expense it must have taken to bring three cabooses onto the property, lay down track, and furnish them.
However, if I may I have 4 suggestions to enhance the experience.
1. Rip out the carpeting and either put hardwood flooring down, or wood laminate
2. Remove any particle board in favor of replacement with real wood. For example the TV stand, and side tables.
3. Take out the hot tub and make an area with a table low enough to write on, or put a laptop computer on.
4. An optional ad on would be to add Wi-Fi to each caboose although I can appreciate the cost that would add.
The price: I would say right on the money for the amenities these cabooses offer. I would say with the above add ons I would pay 150.00 to 200. per night.
Overall, a great experience!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ... more less