“Best Value in Southwestern Virginia”
Review of Country View Inn

Country View Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fancy Gap
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have travelled to southwestern Virginia from Florida for the past four years. I used to stay in Galax (12 miles away by interstate and highway), but now I always stay at the Country View Inn. The rooms have always been clean and decorated nicely. With the price being so much cheaper than the chain motels, people tend to be nervous. However, don't worry about your stay at the Country View Inn. It is a wonderful place to stay! The television has a "fair" list of channels and the wifi has worked fine every time I was there. The people at the desk have always been friendly and efficient. I was just there on the nights of June 26-29 and had a wonderful time. Unfortunately, Fancy Gap lost power one of the afternoons I was there, but things like that happen. Now, I feel I need to answer some of the negative replies. First of all, for people complaining about the age, décor, or amenities of the motel, what do you expect for the price. Country View Inn is clean, everything works, and it is a wonderful value! Personally, I prefer the personal touch of their rooms to the chain motels, but some of the negative replies must come from people who expect a flat screen tv, movie channels, and all newer equipment in the room. That is fine, but remember that those places deserve a higher rate. Don't go to a small independent motel and write reviews about it by stating how it is not like a Hyatt Regency. Secondly, I read some negative reviews about the owners and I would like to respond to that. Country View Inn is obviously a small family operation. I have found the owners to be friendly, but obviously they don't hire a night shift that sleeps in the day. So... I would expect occasional delays if the front desk is called late at night. However, I must also state that I have never had a problem with the people working there and I have booked a "late" room in the past with the owner being nothing but polite. With the little things they add, such as a few gardened areas, individually decorated rooms, and an interesting lobby, it is obvious that these people take pride in what they do. I will always stay at the Country View Inn and if you are not looking for the amenities of some of the bigger chain motels, then give this place a try. I'm proud to support the Country View Inn and it is not just a place a stay while on the road, it is actually my mountain destination now. It might be cool to rent a nice cabin in the mountains, but with the Country View Inn offering nice, clean rooms, and hospitable service, I don't want to. I cant wait to go back in two weeks!

Room Tip: The steps can be slippery, so get a bottom room if you have difficulty with walking or balance.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank John292
There are newer reviews for Country View Inn

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My stay was on a very,very,very foggy evening the first week of July. From the outside, the motel is really kind of plain, in fact it's very plain. The reality is though, we don't stay on the outside, do we? My room was kind of small, but it offered more remnants of a room at home than maybe I've ever seen. We're talking stuffed animals, nice pictures and very nice curtains. The room I stayed in( #17) was very clean, carpet was worn but clean, and the bathroom was extremely clean. The TV worked well, although the number of channels was kind of limited. They did have Fox News, which left me pleasantly surprised, becuase there is a premium cost to have that on the menu. My wifi seemed to run slowly, and I wondered if it were because I was a considerable distance from the office. It worked ok, but was just a little slow in moving from site to site. The room had a microwave and refrigerator, and there was a candy machine and drink machine in the office. Bottom line, to stay in this room for a little over $34.00 was, to me anyway, a very quality buy. The ladies at the front desk were very nice and accomodating as they checked me in. I would not hesitate to stay here again, in fact I will look forward to it. Next time , maybe it won't be in the midst of horrible weather. I have a real feeling the name of the motel will become far more relavant on a day when you could actually see the country. If you're traveling and want a comfortable place to stay, which may remind you of home , Country View Inn may be a place for you. Enjoy your travels!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve C
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Perfect place to stop off for the night on a long road trip. Pay half the price and still get a restful nights sleep. Each room is personally decorated, king size beds and a hot shower... Pet friendly too. My husband and I, as well as our racing buddies highly recommend a nights stay... Especially for the savings!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Briarabbit
Reviewed April 11, 2013

NO hot water. NO one at the front desk. No call back. 2 weeks later my credit card was charged an additional $8 for making a reservation at this motel.

I made a reservation on the Country View Inn website since we would be traveling through the area and needed a place to stay just to get some rest and showers to refresh in the morning. I put a note on the reservation we would be checking-in between 11:30p and 12:30a.

We checked-in at 12:30 with no problems, room was small, but clean and since we were only staying for a few hours this was perfect. We got up at 6am to get showered and head out, but there was NO hot water at all. I let the water run for 10 minutes thinking maybe it needed to run a little before it would get warm, Nothing. Nobody was at the front desk, so I ended up taking an ice cold shower the best I could and no one else showered which was one of the main reasons for stopping for the night. I called the hotel and left a message never got a return phone call.

Now, 2 weeks later I get a charge on my Credit Card bill for $8 for making a reservation with them. In similar situations I would say you get what you pay for, but if you stay here you will not even get that.

There is a Comfort Inn up the street that you have to pass to get here that I would HIGHLY recommend. There will be someone there that can help you and their customer service will call back and you will not be getting extra charges for making reservations with them.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank 855NickH
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I loved the decorations and individual personality my room had with a "Woman's Touch" of a very spiritual, country oriented, and comfortable place to relax my mind and focus on positive things. I would say nothing fancy but fancy enough! Clean and Secure Place to stay. Not as many amenities as chain motels but it did not take away from the pleasant atmosphere.

For the guy that gave the bad review, he must have been a 10 cent millionaire. Need I say more? As far as the view, it was a whole lot better than the nearby chain hotels parking lot.

Room Tip: For $36.50 a night for a single man, definitely a great value!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Michael F
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed at the Country View Inn in August 2011 on my way back from South Carolina. I was traveling alone and felt very safe and secure. Not like the Days Inn in Lexington, Va I stayed in on the way down. What a dirty dump! I will definitely stay here again. The room had beautiful elephant figurines and a large Japanese fan as wide as the king size bed on the wall. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I loved the little touches, including the open Gidean bible on the long table. It's always stuffed in the bedside table drawer. The lobby had wonderful handcrafted items and canned goods. I took some canned goods home with me. Also, fresh pound cake by the coffee machine. It was a great stay and I will definitely stay there on my way down to South Carolina again. It's a shame there are fewer motels like this anymore. It reminds me of the old days before the chain hotels.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Suzanne W
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I usually ride the Blue Ridge Parkway on my motorcycle once or twice a year. I have stayed at the Days Inn a half mile away, but had never stayed here until three years ago. Franky, the little narrow road and low price gave me visions of the Bates Motel in the movie Psycho. However, I saw an internet review and the place sounded OK. In the last three years I have stayed here maybe six times. So far I have had no problems. Everything is clean and it is reasonably quite, even though it is close to the Interstate. If you are outside you can hear the trucks on the interstate. but inside the rooms it is not noticeable. I could do with a few less stuffed animals in the room, but it does give it a homey feeling. Not much else at this exit. There is a convenience store close by which has hot food that is not too bad. A restaurant next to the parkway, about a mile away, is OK. The Lakeview I think. I see a lot of locals eating there. About eight miles north on the interstate is Hillsville. There are a lot of eating places there. Since it is only about a mile off the parkway, there are usually a few motorcyclist staying there. Mostly old guys like me. I plan to stay here again this fall when I ride the parkway.

Room Tip: I usually stay on the lower level for convenience even though the rooms are a little more.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
#2 of 8 in Mount Airy
Holiday Inn Express
Holiday Inn Express
#7 of 8 in Hillsville

Been to Country View Inn? Share your experiences!