“A Notch Above Most Like It”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Scottish Inn

Scottish Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fancy Gap
Beverly Hills, Florida
“A Notch Above Most Like It”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

This Days Inn could easily just be barely acceptable. It is tucked in out of the way, and there are not a lot of known lodging places where I-77 and the Blue RIdge Parkway meet. But here, the front desk people and the owner/manager were vey anxious to make your stay as pleasant as possible. The non-smoking room we had on the back side, lower floor was nice and quiet. A good size mini-fridge and micro were in the room. The King bed was good and firm. The room had a table and two chairs, and a recliner. Other Days Inns are sometimes more sparse. For a traveler on a budget, this would be a good choice. The power went out in the area while we were there, the manager could not have been more apologetic. He was helpful in locating another area where food and gas could be obtained. A good place to stop if you are looking for a bargain in the Fancy Gap area.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side if you like it quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Eastern NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel overnight as a half-way point from North Carolina to Ohio. I took Route 52 out of Winston Salem and connected with Route 148 to the Days Inn. There was no sign indicating the location of the motel on the main road, and I missed the turn off, but turned around and found it. I had booked on line with Days Inn and got a very good rate, and at check in, the manager on duty was effecient, courteous, and quick. I was given the choice of a front side room where the noise of the interstate was more prevalent, or the back side, which I chose. My room was very clean and quiet. The water pressure in the shower was good, and there was a lot of hot water. The television had multiple channels to watch, and there was also a mini-refrigerator and microwave. The bed was very comfortable, and the air conditioner worked well, so I got a good nights sleep..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
New Springfield, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Well I'd love to review this hotel, but after a 7 hour drive to Fancy Gap, Virginia and arriving at our hotel, there was NOBODY at the front the desk to check us in. Yes, that's right. NO EMPLOYEES in sight. We walked around the building and there were no cars in the parking lot - NONE. The four of us thought, "Okay, somebody got busy and they're in the back." But after waiting for about 15 minutes after ringing and ringing the front desk bell, I found a brochure with a Days Inn corporate number.

A half hour goes by being on hold on my cellphone. Customer support was trying to contact the property manager. When she finally made contact she told me that he was trying to contact the hotel manager. So, on hold again. When she picked back up, she said that contact had been made with the hotel manager and there was an emergency, that he would be back to the hotel to check us in. After feeling rather odd about no cars being in the parking lot (no cars=no customers, and no cars=no housekeeping staff), I was demanding my money back or a cancellation statement (in writing!) that my card would not be charged. I was not going to stay at this hotel any longer.

Another half hour goes by, and THREE vehicles show up, a total of FIVE people in the front desk area. One girl goes, "Oh I am so sorry, I didn't know this was going to happen today." Well neither did we! She said that she just drove and hour and a half to get to the hotel to help us. I said, "So what? We drove seven hours!" Then when I wanted my money back she didn't know how to work their new computer system. Then another girl showed up. I made corporate customer support stay on the phone with me while (they also tried telling me that there was a sign on the door stating that there was an emergency. I was willing to take pictures with my phone and email it to their customer support. That girl tried telling me that corporate would handle it. BUT customer support to me that each franchise does their own billing, so corporate could not issue me a credit or a statement saying that my card would not be charged. The other four people were just standing there staring at me, NO attempt to make it right (at that point I would refuse to stay there anyway).

So after an hour and a half of BS - we went up to the next exit in Hillsville and found a hotel where people actually worked at. (There are a lot of hotels there and they are not far away)

This hotel was like Deliverance. Please, PLEASE don't stay here. We were sure to tell everybody we ran into in Hillsville, VA not to stay at this Days Inn. I will also be writing a letter to their corporate office. Just. Plain. Weird.

Room Tip: Can't tell you which part is better because we never made it past the front desk!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lindsey B
Ormond Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

Cody at the front desk was very helpful and the place was clean with a nice view, Everybody that was staying there were travelers from all over the country and seemed to be pleased with the hotel as were me and my family. The owner as well as all the other staff were very nice people and couldn't do enough to make sure we were comfortable as my wife was 8 months pregnant. My kids enjoyed the juice and cereal in the lobby in the mornings, coffee was good not great. A wonderful break from the dump across the street. Thanks everybody, we'll be back.

Room Tip: You need to give respect to get it. If you come in from the highway with an attitude and want everyt...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Inkslngr24
Wooster, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

This Days Inn is way over priced and there are no ammenities. Not even a newspaper or newspaper machine to purchase a paper. We paid $90.00 for one night.
There was dog hair on our carpet and the bathtub was chipped in several places. Should have been nicer for the price, and cleaner. We will not be staying there again because just one exit up on 77 there are many choices.

Room Tip: check the price first, then check the room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

When I made the reservation I was told I would be charged $20 per dog, both under 25 pounds. When we arrived there was not a car in the parking lot and the place was creepy and a dump. It was off the highway up on a hill from a gas station/convenience store, that's it. I told the very nice clerk that I had forgotten to ask for a AAA discount and that I was not going to stay if I was charged the $40 for the dogs. She said she would discount the night's stay and waive the pet fee. When I got my credit card bill I had been charged the full amount and the $40 for the dogs. I called the hotel everyday for 5 days until I finally reached a "manager". He said he would refund the money but would be taking the money out of the clerk's pay and she might be fired. I explained to him had it not been for her I would not have stayed at all but to no avail. After a week I had still not received my refund so called my credit card dispute department and they have taken over. Needless to say this has been a nightmare after a sleepless night in a creep-crawly hotel. Also, one wonders about the Days Inn label after this.

Room Tip: There is no good room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janet514
Parma, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

It was a quiet place to stay. Did a roach and a burn mark on the carpet from an iron. I would not recommend it unless you are really tired and go any further.

Room Tip: A little further north was a bigger town more hotels but I was tired and didn't want to drive a...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
#5 of 8 in Hillsville
Holiday Inn Express
Holiday Inn Express
#6 of 8 in Hillsville

Been to Scottish Inn? Share your experiences!