“Nice hotel - but ran into a roach!”

Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Falls Church
Boston
“Nice hotel - but ran into a roach!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2009

By all accounts this is an impressive hotel. I have stayed here several times and been happy - except for my latest stay. The lobby is spacious and the restaurant/bar area is very sheik. My friend and I planned to stay there for a few days. The rooms are well decorated, but I wonder how often they came in to clean and thoroughly vacuum them in the few days before our arrival, as there were plenty of rooms available midweek so I assume some rooms were vacant possibly for a few days at a time. We were on the third floor in the back of the hotel- I think in room 309. There was a fridge in our room that was empty, but it was already turned on and had been used we assume by the guests before us. We had brought a few small snacks to the room with bottled water, but kept them in baggies and also in a paper bag. Before going to sleep, I noticed a brown bug crawling on the skirt of one of the beds. I tried to kill it but missed. It looked alot like a small cockroach. I had read about bed bugs being brought in to even nice hotels by international travelers - which is extremely concerning and hard to get rid of - but I'm pretty sure this bug was a roach - about 1/2 inch long and moving pretty fast. I didn't intend to sleep in the same room with him running around all night, so we called down to the desk to report it. We packed up our bags and were moved to another room in the same location but a few floors higher. This room, unfortunately, had a rattling heating fan, so we had to move again, this time down the hall. Wondering if we saw one cockroach, there may be others, it took us a little while to get re-comfortable with our accommodations. The next day, the front desk manager had not heard about our problem, even though we reported it to the night manager, and had filled out a room problem report. We told our story again to her and she was sympathetic. The night manager earlier had explained the "problem" we encountered as we stood in the lobby at midnight saying "they do their best to keep the rooms clean, but guests leave food and crumbs behind." I don't know if I buy that, because I have stayed in many hotels and never seen a roach in my room. If they are in one room on the third floor, are they also down in the kitchen? I don't know. They assured us that it is their policy that a guest room is "closed off" until the problem is solved. How do they solve it? And if the day manager was unaware of the problem with this room, who is responsible for fixing it? Are they now checking the entire hotel or just the one room? So although I once thought this Marriott full service hotel was a great value and good find - I'm not sure if I want to stay there again, unless they have taken hotel-wide steps to correct the situation- after my most recent uncomfortable stay.

• Liked — Lobby and lounge area
  • Disliked — Cockroach in room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank NewPosting

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
USA & Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2009

Check-in was a breeze and I was satisfied with the room. In the morning when I came down I was asked for my room number, I replied with it. Then I asked, "Before I check out, please add a water to my room." The rep said, "sorry, I can't I already closed you out." I asked "why, I haven't checked out yet or signed anything." Something about assuming I wanted to check out was her next statement.
Lastly, I asked for a copy of the final bill. The desk rep said, "Why?! It's not like you're paying for it." Since she knew I was part of a Bone Marrow Donor Program -- even so, I thought the comment was rude and besides I was told to keep receipts of everything.
Try not to talk to the front desk folks, they're all rude and cranky.

• Liked — soft bed
  • Disliked — staff are jerks
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank AlotofTravels
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend wedding. We were with a large group of family and friends. This hotel is great! We did not hear a bad word from anyone in our group. The staff was wonderful with all of our special requests.

The wedding was beautiful and the food was great!

Overall a great place to stay even with a 5 month old.

• Liked — Wonderful staff, close to Tyson's Corner
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank JCortez224
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2008

My family of four went here on vacation over 4th of July weekend. We loved the pool and the buffet that was included in our rate was dream like. The room was smaller than most hotels. It was clean and I just loved the Orange Ginger Bath and Bodyworks shampoo, conditioner and lotion...plus the soap. The place feels like luxury and we saw at least two weddings going on. The themed water they have in dispensers in the lobby is beyond horrible though..so pass on that. The grounds are delightful. They have a free attached parking garage for overflow parking. This was our second trip here. We went in June of 2007 for fun. We liked it so much we had to return with the kids. Tip...the bathrooms by the pool are an excellent place to change into dry clothes because the rooms short you on towels, even if you call to ask for extras...like I did. The staff seems to be too busy to bring up towels.

• Liked — Near Great Falls of the Potomac Park and Sweetwater Tavern Brew pub...Good fish!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank OnVacationToday
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2008

Our Family of 4 stayed at this hotel to do some sight seeing and shopping in the D.C. area. (room was $94 per night)
Our 4 day stay was amazing right from check in! We had requested an early check in which was accomodated. We requested a feather free room which they also looked after.
Our breakfast was included each morning and my goodness, It was the BEST hotel breakfast we have ever had! Our children were so excited to eat each morning. The choices were endless. Omlettes, Waffles, Oatmeal, Fresh Fruit... We miss it already.
The pool was great although the outdoor pool was closed twice when we went down but the indoor was still available.
The work out room was terrific, my only complaint is that you need to be 16 to use it. My boys are very responsible and work out at home regularly, it would have been nice if they could have used the facilities to keep up their fitness routine.
We used the shuttle to the metro, The driver was very friendly and they were prompt picking us up again.
Over all we can't say enough good about this hotel, Rooms were great, beds were great. The icing on the cake for me is the Bath & Body lotion and hair care products in the room! YUMMY! We would with out a doubt suggest this hotel to anyone. We will be back. Our Suggestion would be to check the hotel website for deals especially in the summer.

• Liked — Rooms, Breakfast, Pool, ...... Almost everything
  • Disliked — Out door pool closed and restriction on Work out room.
Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Hockeymum514
ardmore,PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

We stayed at the Marriot in Churchfalls for 4 nights in June, The hotel is off of a major highway but set back far enough with enough trees around to be an attractive drive up. Centrally located for visiting Alexandria, Mt Vernon, Washington DC but half the price of downtown motels with free parking as an extra perk, we appreciated the refridgerator in the room so that our children could have cereal for breakfast and we could get on the road sight seeing. The room was newly renovated and very clean, large enough for 2 adults and 3 kids to stay 4 nights. The pool is very nice and warm, partially indoor and partially outdoor, opened from 6am to 10pm, the excersize area was also very nice. At $87 a night this upscale hotel was the best deal around. This was in 07 still other area hotels were $120 to $150 a night.
I would definitely stay there again if I was visiting the area. by the way our day trip to Mt Vernon was the highlight of the trip.

• Liked — Very clean and newly renovated, nice pool
  • Disliked — no complaints
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank dandilion
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

I stayed here at my brother recommendation. I also work for Marriott. Stayed here twice in the same weekend AFTER CONSTRUCTION WAS COMPLETE. Friday night was the best, very busy place with a wedding going on. MY ROOM WAS AWESOME, well the first time. When i came back on sunday i had a different room and the good maid were not working and you could tell. My room was missing a foot stool there was a large stain on the floor and to top it all off the water went out in the entire hotel and no one could shower. THEY DIDNT OFFER A REFUND OR ANYTHING, BOOOOOOOOOO. Anyway ill give it one more try for the tie breaker. BE SURE TO CALL FIRST TO CHECK YOUR RESERVATION AND ROOM SIZE. Guest in front of me were fussing and fighting about getting the wrong room. When i first called to check mine I was not in the system, that scared me I was already on the way.

• Liked — the eating areas where the best
  • Disliked — water went out, room was missing items and funiture, slow housekeeping staff on 2nd visit
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Homewood Suites by Hilton Falls Church
The Westin Tysons Corner
The Westin Tysons Corner
#4 of 15 in Falls Church

Been to Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park? Share your experiences!