Two of us stayed for four nights and took the Metro into DC each day in mid-May. I was apprehensive about staying at GHI after reading some of the reviews, but decided to gamble for the great 24-hour sale price. I was always pleased with the helpfulness of the staff. The room was quiet, clean, and in pretty good shape. Some things were a little outdated, but tolerable. Overall things were great.
Issues we had included:
• When we checked in, we did not have the refrigerator we were supposed to have. We had one in our room by the end of the day.
• We did have weird issues with the safe (battery and door hinge failed), which prevented us from getting into the safe that night. There was no one on-site who could troubleshoot the safe problem. It was dealt with the next morning, but we missed our scheduled morning tour due to the delay.
I could not believe all we got for the price. GHI provides multiple amenities including:
• free parking (right next to our room)
• free shuttle to the Metro
• free wi-fi (was slow and sometimes had trouble getting it to work at all)
• free continental breakfast (was much better than we expected with a couple of hot items each morning) A waffle-maker would have made it perfect!
• swimming pool (we did not use it)
• free safe, and
• free refrigerator.
The shuttle service could use an organizational overhaul. There was a time we saw it leave out of the Metro parking lot, but had no way to catch it. If there was a means of communication among the staff, they could have easily pulled back in to get us. So we had an hour wait for them to return. Another time the clerk forgot to tell the driver we were waiting, so we had another long wait. Maybe having guests call when they get on the Metro (with their entry location) would have helped for the hotel to plan pickups better. A schedule and/or better communication among the staff would help this run much more efficiently.
• We would have liked an exercise room, which GHI does not have.
• There were many times when the wait at the front desk was lengthy as there was usually just one staff person there.
• The front desk staff talked very loud so everyone in the lobby could hear everyone’s situation. More discreet conversations on the phone and at the front desk by staff would be good. I knew everyone’s problems checking in and everyone knew mine, which is not really good for business. However, if you are a people-watcher, it does provide entertainment.
• The water fountain off of the lobby did not work.
• I used their business center to print a ticket from the computer, which worked well.
• Jesse was very helpful and knew the Metro routes to best advise where we needed to get off.
• The bricks in the steps outside of our room and going to breakfast were dangerously loose in multiple places. Those need to be fixed before someone is seriously hurt.
We would definitely return if ever back in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Traditional Style 1959 American Motor Inn located in the shadow of Our Nation’s Capital, just minutes from D.C. in Falls Church, Va. inside the Capital Beltway. With three buildings and exterior corridors featuring Seasonal pool, Free Wi-Fi, Complimentary Breakfast, in addition to Bentley's Falls Church Diner - a decades old local tradition! Our property offers a great location and value with the service you can expect from a locally owned and independently operated business. We wish to stress, we aren't Fancy, justa simple little Inn where our amenities are Value, Location, Service and a smile. We look forward to meeting you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Governor House Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Governor House Hotel Falls Church
- Quality Inn Falls Church