“Great food, great service, very accommodating”
Review of Idylwood Grill

Idylwood Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Idylwood Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 370 Restaurants in Falls Church
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Our tennis group of 12 had a wonderful lunch at Idylwood Grill; they arranged the tables in a square so it was easy to talk with everyone and they happily accommodated our request for separate checks. I had the mussels in linguini; the mussels were piled so high I couldn't finish them all. The other diners were also pleased with their meals. The French Fries (pommes frites?) were among the best I've ever tasted. I've been to Idylwood Grill for lunches and dinners, but this was the first time with a group and it was a great experience. Don't let the location in a somewhat grungy strip shopping center deter you; inside the restaurant is vibrant, cozy and colorful.

Reviewed July 12, 2011

i don't think this is the equivalent of 2941, or one of the finer restaurants downtown, but at roughly half the price, it does not have to be. We come here pretty often, it is only a couple of miles away, and rarely does any dish disappoint. On our last visit, I had an appetizer of calamari with a tasty aioli, which were too many for one person to eat (alas, my wife does not do seafood), and a main course special of twin crab cakes, which reminded me all over again why I love good crab cakes. I was sad not to be able to also have the Branzino (sea bass) special, as well as my favorite from the regular menu, the lobster ravioli (the mushroom ravioli is also delicious). I am not sure we ever have room for dessert, so I am not much help there.

Obviously, there have been complaints about the service. I have never had any problems. Undoubtedly the staff is unpolished compared to what you would find at 2941 or a class restaurant downtown, but I have always found them to be friendly and helpful. You just have to think of this as a local joint with excellent food, and a bit elevated prices, and maybe you won't have such high expectations in that department.

All in all, a fine place to go if you want really good food at a good price. Certainly worth visiting if you are in the area.

Reviewed March 8, 2011

I've been going to Idylwood Grill for many years now and just love this place. Don't be fooled by its humble exterior-- the food and wine list are top-notch! I dare say, as good as any pricey downtown or Tysons Corner bistro. The interior is casual but elegant enough for me to take business associates to. This place is, in fact, one of my favorite restaurants to bring work colleagues. Everyone I have brought there has said they could not believe how good the food is, how reasonable the prices are, and how comfortably sophisticated the place is inside. As I said, I have been here many many times... and I have never once had any of the alleged problems with service I see mentioned in these other reviews. Don't let those commentes dissuade you from trying. You will not be disappointed. Reservations are a good idea, but not required. Idlywood Grill has all the taste of Downtown but in the heart of Falls Church-- at a much more reasonable price."

Reviewed March 6, 2010

Our waitress was pathetically inept. She got off on the wrong foot asserting that the wrong wine was the right wine (not hard to correct since it hadn't been opened).. I asked for the steak on my salad to not be undercooked; she insisted that it should be well-done. Then she sent our main courses to the table before the appetizers and tried to cover it up by saying the kitchen was still working on the appetizer--it would be out soon. She sought to set things right by comping dessert--nice thought, until what was to have been plain berries had sauce despite her insistence that the berries had nothing on them. Pity because the food was quite good. The waitress diminished the evening.

Reviewed February 28, 2010

We were there on a Friday night this past week and were just so delighted and happy with the experience. I had heard great things on many forums on the internet, but the actual experience was even better than expected. I had the steak, my daughter the seafood penne, and my wife had the lamb. Everything was excellent. The owner, Marco, is friendly, easy to engage and full of wonderful stories.
As others have mentioned.... it's a little difficult to find - in a shopping center behind another shopping center. The exterior of the restaurant is a little underwhelming... then you go inside and it's a whole other world. I actually like that very nice surprise walking through the door.