“Surprisingly delicious and inexpensive”
Review of Bamian Restaurant

Bamian Restaurant
Ranked #223 of 368 Restaurants in Falls Church
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Surprisingly delicious and inexpensive”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Had never even heard of Afghan restaurants in the U.S., but tried it due to good recommendations on the internet. The lamb and the salmon kabobs were both tender and delicious. The qabuli palao with lamb, rice, carrot strips and raisins was scrumptious. Will return on our next visit to the area.

Visited October 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The best Afghan food in the area”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have been in many Afghan restaurants before, but, nothing like Bamian Restaurant. The foods are so fresh and delicious. My favorites are Bamian platter of Qaubili palau and Qaubili palau dinner special and we tried most of the foods from the menu. The staffs are so friendly, helpful, and professional. Through Groupon I was introduced to this restaurant, and I was so glad that I bought the deal from them. I have been coming to this restaurant more than 10 times now.

• Visited October 2012
No. Virginia
“Excellent Afghan Food”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

First time eating here and was pleasantly impressed and surprised. Quality of the cooking is maybe not up to the gourmet standard of the Helmand in Baltimore but was excellent value for money nonetheless. Qabuli Pilau--wonderful. Veggie platter--delightful. Sauces and bread, delicious. Bread was fresh made, still warm from the oven. Another pleasant surprise--very nice wine list, good selection, all at reasonable prices. Bill for the evening was under $80 for two, with wine and dessert. Will definitely eat here again.

• Visited September 2012
Herndon, Virginia
“Great Experience”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We ate at Bamian last week. Even though there was a huge party and most of the restaurant was blocked off, we had no problem getting seated. We shared aushak, which came with a great sauce. The three of us shared three entrees, and there was none left over. A favorite was the Quabili Palua. The rice was delicious and the carrots and raisins add just a tad of sweetness. The sauteed pumpkin was also delicious and came with another huge mound of rice. The Dehqan kabob came with tender pieces of chicken which were spiced perfectly. Service was excellent. We were going to add an order of nan bread and the waitress was nice enough to tell us that dinner already came with nan bread. Will definitely be returning.

• Visited September 2012
Falls Church, Virginia
“I'm no expert on Afghan food, but dinner was delicious!”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I don't really know much about Afghan food, but I live only a few minutes away from Bamian Restaurant, so when I came across a $20 Groupon for two appetizers, two entrees, and a dessert, I decided to go for it. I'm glad I did!

Here's what we ordered:

Appetizers:

Mine - a simple house salad, nothing special, but nice and fresh.
His - I don't remember what it's called, but they were warm, fried triangular-shaped things stuffed with smooth mashed potato. Never had them before, but they tasted like "comfort food."

Entrees:

Mine - "Aushak" which means scallion-filled dumpling topped with fresh homemade yogurt and meat sauce, sprinkled with dried mint. This was SO-O-O DELICIOUS! The mint & scallions gave the impression of being light and fresh, while the yogurt sauce made it creamy, the meat in the sauce added flavor, and the dumpling added substance. I already want to go back to Bamian Restaurant just for that.
His - "Palau" which means delicately seasoned pieces of tender lamb under a mound of saffron rice, served with meat sauce. I had a couple bites and it was very well prepared and tender. (I might have had more if I I hadn't filled up on the Aushak.)

Dessert:

"Firnee" which means cornstarch pudding served chilled and topped with pistachios. It was smooth & mild. Kind of like flan, but thicker.

Other:

"Nan" which is Afghan bread that is kind of dense and flat. Kind of like a pizza crust, but not quite as dense, and it was more like wheat or grain than white bread. Good to dip in an extra order of yogurt sauce.

The place/service:

Bamian Restaurant doesn't look particularly sophisticated from the outside, but it is unexpectedly elegant on the inside. The large wooden booths make you feel like you have your own space - however I've been there once before a few years ago & also seen it much more open with tables and a large central dance floor for receptions. The crisp white tablecloths make it fancier. It was very crowded last night, and when I asked the waiter if they were always so busy, he said that it's Ramadan so a lot of people were just breaking a fast & came out to eat, so they were fuller than usual. The waiters had a lot of people to keep up with, but they were being as attentive as they could be, and very polite.

Thoughts:

This restaurant is definitely worth visiting! I'm lucky to be able to enjoy a meal like that without driving into DC! Glad that they offered a Groupon, but even without one, I'll be back!

• Visited August 2012