“Service stinks and the food is worse”
Review of Peking Gourmet Inn

Peking Gourmet Inn
Ranked #1 of 367 Restaurants in Falls Church
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Brant, New York
“Service stinks and the food is worse”
Reviewed May 11, 2010

This was the first time I have ever been here and will never go again. It was quite a surprise to see that so many people find this place good or decent enough to go back. We went for a late lunch/ early dinner. The server sat us promptly and took our drink orders. The drinks came out staggered served by several differnet servers - there were four of us - they were all sodas, water, aka not bar drinks that the server would have had to wait for and could delay and justify coming out separately. Then she asked if we were ready to order - she brought the first drink, we asked for more time and she proceeded to stand at our table just staring at us. My husband and I were debating which meals we should get and she kept saying "oh, that is too spicy for a child. the ginger and garlic are too spicy" - um, not those ingredients don't cause food to be spicy! Either way our daughte ris a big fan of spicy foods such as hot pepper spicy. We asked her AGAIN can you please give us more time and she again waitied staring at us. This made my daughter who is two very uncomfortable and she proceeded to cry. Finally I said politely you can come back in a few minutes. She started to say that she would wait and we basically said "um, no please leave and come back"
Fast forward, our food comes out very quickly by someone else (definitely way too fast to be prepared fresh) The noodles were soggy and bland, kinda like they were sitting prepared since noon. The szechuan beef was super super sweet like honey sweet! And extremely crunchy hard very overcooked. You would not have been able to tell it was beef hard. Nothing like the menu said about it. The rice was plain, had like a few peas in it, kinda crunchy in spots. The only dish that was decent was the chicken. And it was supposed to be spicy and was not at all spicy. It did have one pepper in it so maybe if they used one pepper or more it consititutes spicy to them. Or maybe the ginger & garlic combo made it spicy.
Then the server NEVER came back. We ate the chicken and the rice and part of the noodles because we were hungry. My husband noticed his soda was flat and lacking syrup right away but didn't ask the food runner because he was not our server. He finally asked someone else and the guy left and never came back with the soda. The rest of us never got any more drinks even though they were all empty.
Finally my husband went and asked for the check from the hostess stand. Another server came over to clear our food and asked if we wanted the untouched beef dish to go. We told him "no, we didn't even like it, but since our server has never returned we were unable to sent it back"
Finally our server appears, we voice our complaints and she says how she was in her meeting (shift change). Of course, her explanation makes sense then all the other servers should ignore us too, our bad close the restaurant during shift change if this is how you treat guests during them. She went to take our money and we asked to speak to the manager. Then about four guys come over, hovering near the corner of our table while the one apologizes and says he would buy us dessert. We asked for the beef dish to be taken off our bill. He says okay then leaves with our credit card. About 15 minutes later (again, a long wait to run a credit card) he returns with our credit card invoice with the whole bill on it and a $20 bill to make up for the beef dish.
That place was crazy, definitely will not go back.
By the way: Dress warm because they crank the ac in spots and it was freezing on a 60 degree day. I had on a long sleeve and pants and could not feel my hands. Very showy restaurant in a not so good area of town. Food is overpriced. Surprised that people were there but then again they probably were hoping to catch a glimpse of someone famous judging by the pictures on the wall - the famous people who lack the sense of what quality tastes like.

• Korean first
Georgia
“Dining with the famous--and their photographs”
Reviewed April 24, 2010

As the cab pulled in, my first thought was, “Oh, no--not another strip mall Chinese restaurant.” But the line outside the door on a Wednesday evening was the first indication our host had, perhaps, chosen well. Inside, the walls covered with photos of presidents, prime ministers, and supreme court justices with the owners were a pretty sure sign this restaurant would be a cut above the rest. As it turned out, it was head and shoulders above the rest,

The Chinese Gourmet is the best Chinese restaurant I have ever experienced in the USA. The chefs here love to experiment and use their skills to provide an unparalleled dining experience which you recognize as Chinese, but at the same time don’t recognize as anything you’ve had before. Our group of 20 sat at two large round tables with giant lazy susans as the maroon-coated waiters brought course after course of appetizers, meat, and rice. Lamb, beef, chicken, giant prawns and Chilean sea bass, all prepared in interesting new ways, just kept coming. The beef was particularly interesting, cut into short strips and coated with a sweet sauce, rolled in sesame seeds, and fried. But they were all superb, as was the attentive service and direct supervision by the owners. This one is a keeper.

Alexandria, VA
“Just celebrated MIL's b'day here for...”
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Just celebrated MIL's b'day here for lunch and it was great! We had a party of 10 and fit nicely at one of their family style round tables with the lazy Susan in the middle. The group lunch "B" price (about $15/person) gave us more than enough food with leftovers to take home. Group B - We had the Peking duck (which it's famous for) as well as other favorite staples on their menu.

I highly recommend celebrating a special occasion here for lunch -for 6 or more- at the group rate. The group rate for dinner is double the price....a no brainer. Plus Chinese food tends to be quite filling and this will also give you the rest of the day to work it off...just my opinion.

McLean, Virginia
“The Best Peking Duck in America”
Reviewed February 3, 2010

I was stunned to see that someone complained about the service at the Peking Gourmet Inn in Falls Church. I have been going there since it opened more than twenty years ago and have never had a bad meal or a bad experience. The Peking Duck is the best in America and I couldn't find anything to compare in London ot other European cities. All of the food is fantastic and for the quality, the prices are not that bad at all for the Washington metro area. I recently met someone from Charleston SC at a meeting and he mentioned to me that his all time favorite restaurant was in Falls Church. Yes, you guessed it, the Peking Gourmet Inn. When I lived in NY and visited DC, I would go there for food, pack it in a cooler and take it back with me. There isn't anything as good in Manhattan. So, take it from someone who knows Chinese food and knows this restaurant and its enduring quality, try it. By the way, it was President George H Walker Bush's favorite restaurant, and the walls are covered with pictures of every famous person who has ever visited Washington - D or R. Hard to believe that all these folks are without taste.

Sterling, Virginia
“Still stands out in my mind with the seasoned wait staff and the good ole crispy skinned Peking Duck carved table side...”
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Still stands out in my mind with the seasoned wait staff and the good ole crispy skinned Peking Duck carved table side by an expert server. Good times are still had at the Peking Gourmet Inn.