“Great Food, Terrible Atmosphere and Service”
Review of Sweetwater Tavern

Sweetwater Tavern
Ranked #2 of 370 Restaurants in Falls Church
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Description: American casual restaurant with a micro brewery serving western inspired food in a fun and relaxing atmosphere.
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Sweetwater Tavern is owned by the same company that owns Coastal Flats, one of my favorite restaurants. The first thing you notice with the menu is that many of the items are identical to Coastal Flats. Coastal Flats has a very heavy bias towards fish dishes, while Sweetwater Tavern has more barbecue dishes. I got the pulled pork sandwich and the crab/corn soup for lunch. The food was excellent. The restaurant is huge and was packed. Unfortunately, the restaurant is poorly designed and run. The acoustics are bad, probably due to the high ceiling and very open floor plan. The sound of all the people talking drowned out the music, so that all that could be heard was the annoying drum beat. My waiter was not attentive. Whereas at Coastal Flats, they immediately clear finished dishes and trash from the table, that didn't happen at this restaurant. Dishes and trash piled up until the end of the meal. The waiters and waitresses hung out next to my table talking and made me feel uncomfortable while I was eating. My waiter brought my check immediately after the food arrived. I guess I wasn't expected to order anything else. The whole experience had a very low class feel, which is a shame given the high quality of the food. My recommendation is to skip the Sweetwater Tavern and head to Coastal Flats in Tysons Corner for some great food AND service.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I just left the Sweetwater Tavern where we had a lovely dinner. It is a little noisy (the restaruant is a very open design), but the food was well worth it. My husband had the pork chop dinner with the vegetable of the day which was roast green beans, corn and pepper. I had the Salmon Salad. Both were very large portions, actually, I thought my husband's was enough for two people. The pork chops and salmon were both cooked to perfection. The vegetable of the day was crisp with a lovely roasted flavor. We both kept saying this was an excellent choice for dinner. We are not from this area, but if we were, we would definitely make this a regular dinner location for us.

1  Thank RSV58
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I was under the impression this was like the Sweetwater Tavern located in the heart of Detroit’s historic district. That Sweetwater has been known for its authentic homemade food. This location has great food especially the sauteed jumbo lump crab cakes,Sweetwater Fried Chicken Tenders and the individual bunt cake form warm white chocolate bread pudding. The one improvement is service the sever named Chris S. was the rudest server I have ever experienced. Verses coming up with excuses why yoi cant do substitutions of items on the menu. Like if I wanted Basil Redskin Mashed Potatoes with my Sauteed Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes verse fries and cole slaw. I should be able to do that with or without a charge. Verse this server acting as if he didn't know what I was trying to do. So he needs more training with service because now a days people have different dietary needs and do a lot of mix matching. The food is outstanding though !

1  Thank whytraveldotcom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Food was delicious - especially the crab cakes! However, wasn't a fan of waiting 30 minutes for a table while it was 90* outside. The service was mediocre, but the overall experience was decent. I would return just probably at a time when it wouldn't be so crowded and uncomfortable.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Fun décor, great food, awesome staff, endless tea. All dishes are tasty. Childrens menu is nice and ample servings. The salads and burgers are great. The appetizers are filling. We did get broccoli and it came out cold and a big fly wanted to join our dinner table constantly (wait staff said door was broken) but this is the only time after eating there about 100 times did a negative thing happen. We will definitely return. Parking is easy and it is easy to find.