“Just so so”

Cuisines: Chinese, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Mark's Duck house has good reputation on their duck and steam fish. We ordered both of them and some other things. The duck is good however the steam fish is not fresh. It seems some very strong sauce was used to cover the bad odour. My waiter is pretty good and we like him. However I can only give them an average rating for the sake of the stale fish.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Mark's Duck House is one of the best Chinese Dim Sum Restaurants in the Washington, DC area. A must try for travelers. Be prepared to wait on the weekends unless you get there as they open at 10:00 AM. Then, you will have to wait for the carts to come through the restaurant. Every dim sum item are excellent. Tasty and yummy! Mark's Duck House also have specialty dim sum like steamed lobster dumpling, steamed crab dumplings, steamed leeks dumplings, steamed vegetable dumplings....and more. All are excellent.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Tried Mark's Duck House for the dim sum and found myself quite underwhelmed. They had a decent variety, but the food was far from the excellent reviews that I have read. I found it to be just ok. the service was good, but I don't think I will be returning.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

So the biggest mistake was to try to get some good dim sum on Easter Sunday at noon. I wasn't thinking. That was idiotic on my part.
The wait was super long and the restaurant was SUPER packed (which was to be expected) but my big problem was the quality of food was compromised as well as the service. I've been here two times before and the dim sum was solid. I've had much better dim sum in other cities, but that's besides the point. I knew it was going to be busy and crowded like many dim-sum restaurants but I found the dining area very dirty. Food and other debris on the floor. I just wanted to leave. The service was more or less poor. I could see the waiters frustrated with the big crowds as opposed to capitalizing on the opportunity. Having a restaurant full of diners is great because you know people like this place but after a couple visits (nothing special) I think I'll find another dim sum spot even if I have to drive further.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We've been reading excellent reviews of Mark's Duck House for years - and have witnessed the lines out the door on Sundays - so we finally decided to give it a try. We were terribly disappointed by the experience. It should be said upfront that we went late on a Sunday afternoon, so during off-hours and not during the famous cart service. At all other times (as when we were there), dim sum is offered a la carte off a menu. The restaurant was downright filthy - the floor covered with debris, a strong, unpleasant smell throughout, the table and menus sticky, the flatware questionable. We assumed it was due to the rush earlier in the day, so we sat down anyway. My husband ordered chicken fried rice to be safe, but the chicken was very odd. Dark meat to be sure, but also had an odd smell and the rice was steamed (not fried as name would imply). Spring rolls were terrible, pineapple buns were inedible, meat dumplings were mediocre. I ordered the Peking Duck (around $17 for half-duck with pancakes and scallions) and was far more pleased than the other three diners. But the skin was overly fatty and thick, not the beautifully thin sliced, crispy skin found at Meiwah or other fine-dining chinese restaurants in area. I've never seen duck skin prepared the way Mark's Duck House does it - and would not recommend it. Maybe it was just a very off day, but we will not return to find out and did feel we should caution diners that it's obviously not always a four-star place.